The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 01, 2013, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I thought it was an obvious flagrant foul.
+1.

He swipes his arm across the shooter's upper arms almost as high as his shoulders. I realize the shooter is a moving target, but if he were actually making a play at the ball, I don't think he would have missed this bad.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Pretty thin D.O.G. - not sure it's worthy of stopping the game.

As for the FF1 - are you kidding?

The shooter does nothing except make a legitimate drive to the basket.

All contact is created by Kaufusi with an aggressive forward motion, with his arms piked, and no intention whatsoever on making a basketball play. To boot - there IS head contact because Kaufusi's piked arm is the first piece of his body that comes into contact with Olynyk's head. Observe:

Olynyk is completely vertical at the moment of contact. Kaufusi shifted into him aggressively, traveling about three feet horizontally in the process. Then he basically makes a body-slam movement with both arms. This is not a basketball play.

While the post-contact taunting is not grounds technically for a FF, it is certainly common-sense evidence that the defender's actions were not routine.

Bottom line - I can't believe an observer in the stands with a clipboard would criticize the official on the play for calling a "softie" flagrant 1 foul.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
First, Kaufisi is a football player. Second, after the hard foul, him standing over Olynyk and clearly saying something (probably not in the spirit of sportsmanship) would seal the deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Then it should be a foul, then a T. But not upgrade a common foul to a FF1 because of a dead ball action that would be a T.
I agree with Camron. There's nothing within the rule to let you upgrade to a flagrant because of what he did once the ball is dead. Obviously we don't officiate games in a vacuum but if you're calling the F1 then call it, either before the review - as they did here - or after. If he taunts him then get that too.

As for the football player aspect...I'm with the others who say "so?" He's not the only 6'7", 260+ basketball player around these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
While the post-contact taunting is not grounds technically for a FF, it is certainly common-sense evidence that the defender's actions were not routine.
We see taunting after perfectly legal shot-block attempts. Does that mean the actions of those defenders weren't routine? Again, if he taunted him call the Class A technical. IMO if you do that you control the situation that much better since it counts towards his five for DQ, meaning he's another step closer to being out of the game.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Sun Mar 03, 2013 at 03:12am.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To boot - there IS head contact because Kaufusi's piked arm is the first piece of his body that comes into contact with Olynyk's head.
You might be confusing "contact to the thead" with the relativley new "moving elbow contact to the head" rule.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Pretty thin D.O.G. - not sure it's worthy of stopping the game.

As for the FF1 - are you kidding?

The shooter does nothing except make a legitimate drive to the basket.

All contact is created by Kaufusi with an aggressive forward motion, with his arms piked, and no intention whatsoever on making a basketball play. To boot - there IS head contact because Kaufusi's piked arm is the first piece of his body that comes into contact with Olynyk's head. Observe:

Olynyk is completely vertical at the moment of contact. Kaufusi shifted into him aggressively, traveling about three feet horizontally in the process. Then he basically makes a body-slam movement with both arms. This is not a basketball play.

Bottom line - I can't believe an observer in the stands with a clipboard would criticize the official on the play for calling a "softie" flagrant 1 foul.
Shoot the normal guy who evaluates these games was not there Saturday or I would have some good stuff right from the evaluators mouth. Sorry guys.. I will see who subbed for him and see what he says.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Shoot the normal guy who evaluates these games was not there Saturday or I would have some good stuff right from the evaluators mouth. Sorry guys.. I will see who subbed for him and see what he says.
Considering that Dave Libbey (the WCC Supervisor) was present at the game, and said it was a F1, it is the only evaluation of the play the crew needed to hear.