The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Could you call a T on team for not coming out on the floor after the 2nd horn? Could this be construed as a unsporting act and it was attempting to disrupt the FT attempt?
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Could you call a T on team for not coming out on the floor after the 2nd horn? Could this be construed as a unsporting act and it was attempting to disrupt the FT attempt?
The resumption of play procedure covers this situation after a timeout. I think a T in this situation would be a stretch ... unless you have already gone through the RoP procedure and the behavior continued.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
all of the above posts went through my head when I initially responded (in fact, I changed my post a couple of times before hitting "submit"). I came down on the side of a double violation.

I think the "ignore the second" is in place because the committee thinks it's unreasonable for someone in a lane space NOT to react to someone else moving in early -- it's similar to the "only the fake is penalized" reasoning.

In this play, there's no reason for the offensive player to react. So, I'm penalizing him/her, too.
Again, that is written without the consideration of the RoP situation. It simply doesn't consider what may or should happen when the RoP is in effect.

In any case, the player in the second place who moves after the ball is live hasn't actually occupied the lower space, they've violated by leaving heir own space by breaking the plane of their lane space before they can ever get into the other lane space. And for a while, they're in both as they're moving. In other words, they've already violated before they get to the other space.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I'm going with Bob's original answer in post #2.
That, 99% of the time, is the right answer to any post. "Going with Bob" is a pretty safe play.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 02:23pm
C'mon man!!

So if we get to the replacement throw and there isn't a Team B player in both lower spaces, is the tech a DOG team tech? Does this "count" as the warning as well for throw in boundary plane violations for the rest of the game or am I mixing rules?
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 03:13pm
Esteemed Participant

Yes it is a T for DofG.

Yes it covers all other potential DofG as it serves as the warning also.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 03:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Yes it is a T for DofG.

I must be missing something.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 03:40pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I must be missing something.
What are you missing?

10.1.5.A tells us it is a delay of game T for not occupying the required marked lane spaces following the RofP procedure.

9.2.10.A tells us that a DofG T also serves as the Warning recorded in the book and told to the HC.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 03:55pm
C'mon man!!

When you guys whistle a DOG, not necessarily for the OP but any DoG, what is your mechanic? Do you actually go over to the offending team's coach or just Holler at the scorer's table?
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 04:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
What are you missing?

10.1.5.A tells us it is a delay of game T for not occupying the required marked lane spaces following the RofP procedure.

9.2.10.A tells us that a DofG T also serves as the Warning recorded in the book and told to the HC.
RPP DOG warnings do not count toward the combo of the other 4 DOG warnings (4-47-1 thru 4) as far as I can remember.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 04:14pm.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 04:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
RPP DOG warnings do not count toward the combo of the other 4 DOG warnings (4-47-1 thru 4) as far as I can remember.
Agreed, and 9.2.10a involves the defender committing a violation that would normally get the warning in the process. The RPP T does not involve that.

I don't think this is a warning.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 04:38pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Interesting.

We have always been told the opposite of that. The T is still for Delay of Game, and so it applies to any Delay situations.

Do you have a reference or Interp for that?

We were told that the RPP has the "warning" built into it...if they still don't come out, we assess the T and all warnings are off.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 04:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Interesting.

We have always been told the opposite of that. The T is still for Delay of Game, and so it applies to any Delay situations.

Do you have a reference or Interp for that?

We were told that the RPP has the "warning" built into it...if they still don't come out, we assess the T and all warnings are off.
I'll get back with you late tonight or tomorrow morning on this one if someone else doesn't jump in first. We discussed it at our last association meeting.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 05:00pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
I'll get back with you late tonight or tomorrow morning on this one if someone else doesn't jump in first. We discussed it at our last association meeting.
Please do...we had the same discussion about 3 seasons ago when a crew had a team not come out of huddle and went through the RPP and assessed the T... later had a breaking the plane situation and went right to the T on that. State said they handled it correctly.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
So if we get to the replacement throw and there isn't a Team B player in both lower spaces, is the tech a DOG team tech? Does this "count" as the warning as well for throw in boundary plane violations for the rest of the game or am I mixing rules?
Quote:
Yes it is a T for DofG.

My answers are: Yes, it is a Team Technical for delaying the game & no it does not constitute a warning of any kind as this is not one of the four types of warnings listed.
This is the similar to the team not being ready to start a half and taking more than one minute or a kid not being in the FT semi-circle when the official is ready to administer (player tech). They have nothing to do with official team warnings for delay.