The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 06:00am
C'mon man!!

DOG warning

I was trail on a throw in on the end line. Team A was making a throw in opposite side of the lane from where I was. A2 was on the nearest lane line from me and moving from FT line toward endline. B2 is defending A2. A2 stops quickly near the end line and B2 overruns her and runs out of bounds, both feet but quickly returns. Is this a delay of Game warning, as it happened 10-15 feet away from where the ball was being inbounded from? I think the letter of the rule is yes but the spirit of the law is no. Your comments and opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 06:09am
Official Forum Member

The letter of the rule doesn't say yes, either. Leaving the court for an unauthorized reason is a violation.

Logic says B2 wouldn't want to get faked into the stands and you also wouldn't want to stop Team A from potentially getting an easy layup.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Mon Feb 25, 2013 at 07:04am.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 07:05am
Courageous When Prudent

Momentum is not an unauthrized reason.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 07:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
The letter of the rule doesn't say yes, either. Leaving the court for an unauthorized reason is a violation.

Logic says B2 would want to get faked into the stands and you also wouldn't want to stop Team A from potentially getting an easy layup.
Unless I'm seeing this wrong, this is a violation. Defender crosses the throw in plane.

No, I wouldn't call it as described.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 08:07am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Unless I'm seeing this wrong, this is a violation. Defender crosses the throw in plane.

No, I wouldn't call it as described.
Just making sure I understand you correctly, You think it IS a throw in boundary violation, but you would not call it?
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 08:14am
C'mon man!!

Quote:

Logic says B2 would want to get faked into the stands and you also wouldn't want to stop Team A from potentially getting an easy layup.
I am not thinking of this play as a leaving the court for an unauthorized reason situation but a Delay of Game. They broke the throw in boundary albeit 15 feet away from the thrower in-er.
The rule I am wondering about is 9-2-10:
The opponent(s) of the thrower shall not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw-in boundary-line plane until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 08:19am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
I am not thinking of this play as a leaving the court for an unauthorized reason situation but a Delay of Game. They broke the throw in boundary albeit 15 feet away from the thrower in-er.
The opponent(s) of the thrower shall not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw-in boundary-line plane until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.
Was this a spot throw-in? If so, the boundary of the throw-in spot is only 3 feet wide.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Was this a spot throw-in? If so, the boundary of the throw-in spot is only 3 feet wide.
While the throw-in spot is only 3 feet wide the length of the boundary plane remains the same and it is the entire boundary plane to which the rule applies.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Just making sure I understand you correctly, You think it IS a throw in boundary violation, but you would not call it?
It is, and I wouldn't call it because I wouldn't see it from lead and it's not a play I want to get from trail.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Rain In Spain ...

Quote:
9-2-10: The opponent(s) of the thrower shall not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw-in boundary-line plane until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
While the throw-in spot is only 3 feet wide the length of the boundary plane remains the same and it is the entire boundary plane to which the rule applies.
Plane – a flat surface that extends in all directions without end.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
While it is this type of violation by the letter of the rule, this is not the type of action intended to be covered by this rule. It is written in the context of a defender covering the thrower and preventing the thrower from being able to make a throw. It was never intended to apply to a player half way down the line that is in no way affecting what the thrower can do. This is not something I'm going to call. Likewise, I'm not calling a violation on a teammate of the thrower for stepping on the line while trying to get open in a similar location.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 05:33am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
While it is this type of violation by the letter of the rule, this is not the type of action intended to be covered by this rule. It is written in the context of a defender covering the thrower and preventing the thrower from being able to make a throw. It was never intended to apply to a player half way down the line that is in no way affecting what the thrower can do. This is not something I'm going to call. Likewise, I'm not calling a violation on a teammate of the thrower for stepping on the line while trying to get open in a similar location.
This is how we called it and was my interpretation of the rule. Just wanted to verify it with those who have been doing this much longer than me. Thanks all.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Camron,
Are you aware that at the NCAA level, the defender can't break the boundary plane until the ball does? So even a defender near the intended recipient of a throw-in pass 25ft away from the thrower would be covered by this rule should the pass be at a sharp angle. In other words, the rule is intended to apply to this at the NCAA level, so I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss it at the HS level.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My apologies for the misinterpretation. I blame lack of sleep...for everything, really
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 07:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

There Is None In Heaven ...

Quote:
I blame lack of sleep, for everything, really.
I always blame beer, for everything, really.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)