The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Resting on the flange (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94146-resting-flange.html)

PG_Ref Fri Feb 22, 2013 09:30pm

Resting on the flange

1st rd playoff game tonight. After all these years of officiating, I finally witnessed with mine own two eyes, the ball coming to rest on the flange ... on a free throw attempt nonetheless :eek:. Wish I had video.

Terrapins Fan Fri Feb 22, 2013 09:48pm

Interesting....

BktBallRef Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 881268)
1st rd playoff game tonight. After all these years of officiating, I finally witnessed with mine own two eyes, the ball coming to rest on the flange ... on a free throw attempt nonetheless :eek:. Wish I had video.

Once saw a FT wedgie.

maven Sat Feb 23, 2013 09:12am

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LKo5sFC51B8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jeschmit Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:06am

Ah, the joys of physics!

I had this happen on a shooting foul two years ago in a HS game. It was pretty funny to watch everyone in anticipation as to whether or not it was gonna fall in for an "and 1" and then the unanimous gasp from the crowd when it just sat there.

Camron Rust Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:13pm

They could easily avoid this by designing the flange to not be flat. They could either tilt it or put a small bump in the middle of hit such that a ball that lands on it can't stay on it.

26 Year Gap Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 881331)
They could easily avoid this by designing the flange to not be flat. They could either tilt it or put a small bump in the middle of hit such that a ball that lands on it can't stay on it.

For as often as this happens, I think they should just leave it alone. The rim manufacturers may disagree, but I think it is looking for a solution for a problem that does not exist.

just another ref Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:35pm

And I think it's a great solution to, admittedly, a very small problem.

Maybe we should take a poll.

26 Year Gap Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 881339)
And I think it's a great solution to, admittedly, a very small problem.

Maybe we should take a poll.

After the leg sleeve issue is resolved, please.:cool:

Camron Rust Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 881333)
For as often as this happens, I think they should just leave it alone. The rim manufacturers may disagree, but I think it is looking for a solution for a problem that does not exist.

I'm fine with that too, just pointing out that it is very easy to solve...and they don't have to make it mandatory on old rim...just as they get replaced.

just another ref Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:44pm

My son is a welder.

Picturing a national tour for him...........

Adam Sat Feb 23, 2013 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeschmit (Post 881319)
Ah, the joys of physics!

I had this happen on a shooting foul two years ago in a HS game. It was pretty funny to watch everyone in anticipation as to whether or not it was gonna fall in for an "and 1" and then the unanimous gasp from the crowd when it just sat there.

Imagine if you were waiting to see if it went in before you called a foul.

Mark Padgett Sat Feb 23, 2013 06:02pm

I've had this happen a few times. Last year it happened in a GMS game. I couldn't get any of the girls to jump up and knock the ball down. :(

26 Year Gap Sat Feb 23, 2013 06:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 881409)
I've had this happen a few times. Last year it happened in a GMS game. I couldn't get any of the girls to jump up and knock the ball down. :(

I presume that you let the clock run out unless the game was tied.

Rob1968 Mon Feb 25, 2013 01:40am

When I played in HS, \'60\'s, I got on a ladder, with a ball, and verified that it was impossible for the ball to stop on the flange. Then, when they replaced the rims at our HS, the new apparatus had an additional 1/4" plate added at the back of the rim, as reinforcement to help protect the glass backboards from breaking when the ball was dunked. That added depth allowed the ball to come to rest on the flange, but also made it "6 1/4" from the plane of the face of the backboard to the nearest point of the inside of the ring," (see NFHS 1-11-1 and I suspect that a measurement of current rims would so verify.
Yes, I do get accused of being anal at times. . .