The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 16, 2013, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Would you "Overrule"?

LEAD calls a Basket Interference on Team A on a made basket after the ball bounces off the rim and enters the basket. Center Official has nothing.....Offense did not touch the ball while it was in the cylinder on the made basket...but it was fairly close.
We often hear that officials should "Live and Die" by their calls.....But do you agree with this philosophy in this situation, thinking maybe Lead saw something, or do you rectify?
This happened in the 1st Quarter (not that that really matters)...but Team A ended up losing by two.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2013, 03:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Just because one official has nothing, that does not mean that they saw what the other official had. I would let them stay with their call as a general rule. It would have to be egregious for me to even give information at all.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 16, 2013, 03:27am
We don't rent pigs

Since you put it in quotes, hopefully that means you know that you can't overrule your partner, no matter how wrong the call. If you feel it absolutely necessary, you can confer with your partner and give him the opportunity to change his own call. I agree with Rut in this particular case. The error would have to be really blatant before I would inject myself here.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Feb 16, 2013, 03:52am
Official Forum Member

No, and we don't cancel foul calls made our partners either.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2013, 07:02am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
LEAD calls a Basket Interference on Team A on a made basket after the ball bounces off the rim and enters the basket. Center Official has nothing.....Offense did not touch the ball while it was in the cylinder on the made basket...but it was fairly close.
We often hear that officials should "Live and Die" by their calls.....But do you agree with this philosophy in this situation, thinking maybe Lead saw something, or do you rectify?
This happened in the 1st Quarter (not that that really matters)...but Team A ended up losing by two.
When one calls something out of their primary, and not even in your secondary, you have to be so sure that video would clearly back you up. It's a case where your experience tells you that you know that you're saving the crew from a huge miss. To me, that's when the L in a half-court offense should call BI. (The L can call it in transition is the positions of the officials merit the call.)

If the Lead wants to make this call, because he thinks he's saving the crew from a huge miss, then he has to live with it if he's wrong.

When he blew the play dead, the C and T have a chance to say "{Lead}, I saw it clear view of the play and there was no touch." Let the L then live and die with changing his call or not.