The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Louisville @ Notre Dame, Rich's Video Request #2 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93987-louisville-notre-dame-richs-video-request-2-a.html)

twocentsworth Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:31pm

ZERO travels in that sequence.....they didn't call any and I wouldn't call any.

Rich Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic (Post 878609)
Two travels on 0? I don't know ... I can see one, but the other would be considered ticky tacky at this level. :)

I didn't say I'd call the first one -- I wouldn't. I don't go looking for travels that aren't obvious.

But the second one? I think that falls into the obvious category, at least for me it does.

OKREF Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 878619)
I didn't say I'd call the first one -- I wouldn't. I don't go looking for travels that aren't obvious.

But the second one? I think that falls into the obvious category, at least for me it does.

I'm not saying I woul call the first one either, or the one on #1, but the second one by 0 has to be called.

Rich Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 878624)
I'm not saying I woul call the first one either, or the one on #1, but the second one by 0 has to be called.

I don't think #1 traveled.

OKREF Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 878627)
I don't think #1 traveled.

Look at it again. Clearly has ball with left foot one the floor, steps with right, picks up left and returns it to floor.

Rich Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 878629)
Look at it again.

If you're talking about the toe of #1's pivot foot *maybe* coming off the floor and coming back down, that's not a nit I'd even entertain picking.

Welpe Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 878590)
0 travels once when he first gets the ball.

I'm not seeing that. On slow motion, he's got control after his feet are done moving.

Raymond Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 878611)
In real time? Maybe the second play by 0...probably not. That's the only play in the clip that's worth a question in my opinion. I also wouldn't expect that to be called in a D-I game.

The 2nd ND player most definitely travelled and it is something that should be called in an NCAA game. It was missed.

Welpe Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 878629)
Look at it again. Clearly has ball with left foot one the floor, steps with right, picks up left and returns it to floor.

I don't think you can say that, his body is between the camera and the ball and it's not clear when he actually possesses it. I'm with Rich, too small of a nit to try and pick.

OKREF Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 878630)
If you're talking about the toe of #1's pivot foot *maybe* coming off the floor and coming back down, that's not a nit I'd even entertain picking.

Didn't say I would either. But IMO his whole foot comes off the floor. Just answering the OP for how many I see.

APG Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 878632)
The 2nd ND player most definitely travelled and it is something that should be called in an NCAA game. It was missed.

I see that type of play passed on quite often at that level.

Raymond Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 878640)
I see that type of play passed on quite often at that level.

Then you need to view some more of John Adams videos b/c he doesn't like these travels being missed.

My crew had a play where a player, who already had a FF1 for an elbow foul, picked up his 5th foul in frustration to missing a lay-up in which there was marginal contact. After our supervisor confirmed our no-call on the missed lay-up his next comment was that the situation would have been avoided if we had called the travel on said player when he made his move to the basket.

So college supervisors are looking if we pick up travels. And so is John Adams. The 2nd ND player very obviously travelled and the fact that is was missed isn't reason to say it's not a call that's made at that level. It just may mean that travelling calls will be a POE again next season.

APG Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 878647)
Then you need to view some more of John Adams videos b/c he doesn't like these travels being missed.

My crew had a play where a player, who already had a FF1 for an elbow foul, picked up his 5th foul in frustration to missing a lay-up in which there was marginal contact. After our supervisor confirmed our no-call on the missed lay-up his next comment was that the situation would have been avoided if we had called the travel on said player when he made his move to the basket.

So college supervisors are looking if we pick up travels. And so is John Adams. The 2nd ND player very obviously travelled and the fact that is was missed isn't reason to say it's not a call that's made at that level. It just may means that travelling calls will be a POE again next season.

Well there's a disconnect somewhere...because I'd be more shocked seeing a whistle on this play than not.

zm1283 Tue Feb 12, 2013 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 878616)
ZERO travels in that sequence.....they didn't call any and I wouldn't call any.

You're nuts then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 878632)

Exactly.

If #0 for ND isn't going to be called for a travel going across the lane (When his pivot foot is lifted and returns to the floor not once, but twice), we should just delete the traveling violation out of the NCAA rules book. That is about as obviously as it gets. The others I can get with, it might have been ticky-tack to get those, but #0 clearly traveled.

fullor30 Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 878619)

Agreed.

It seems that non travel calls which are business as usual in NBA have seeped into the college game and are as about frequent as a three second call. First one I would pass on but two? C'mon.