The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Hum Dinger, sort of...

I had one of the best games of the yet, to an extent tonight.

1st half, Boys JV. Both teams are good, one team has 1 loss and the other has 2.

I should have known what kind of a game it was going to be from the tip. 12 seconds into the game I call my first foul, I generally like to see the game progress, but there was no time for that.

Good competitive game, both teams playing hard. At the half, it's 21-21, fould count is 7-6.

We come out for the 3rd Q and call a hard foul on the visitors. A2 sets a pick and brings up his arms folded together to shove B1. I got the foul and I thought for a second to call it intentional, but passed because it was a good game.

About a minute later I got a foul on the opposite team same thing exactly, again, I think I could call it intentional, but passed. I told my partner any more of the hard fouls and we start calling them intentional.

We ended with home winning by 11 and the teams settled down, final foul count for the 2nd half was 14-7 against the visitors as they had to foul to stop the clock.

Would you call a hard foul intentional from what I described in the game. O Player was set, as the defender comes into him, he rises both arms together and knocks the player down. Same play on both ends, I called them the same.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 10:55pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I had one of the best games of the yet, to an extent tonight.

1st half, Boys JV. Both teams are good, one team has 1 loss and the other has 2.

I should have known what kind of a game it was going to be from the tip. 12 seconds into the game I call my first foul, I generally like to see the game progress, but there was no time for that.

Good competitive game, both teams playing hard. At the half, it's 21-21, fould count is 7-6.

We come out for the 3rd Q and call a hard foul on the visitors. A2 sets a pick and brings up his arms folded together to shove B1. I got the foul and I thought for a second to call it intentional, but passed because it was a good game.

About a minute later I got a foul on the opposite team same thing exactly, again, I think I could call it intentional, but passed. I told my partner any more of the hard fouls and we start calling them intentional.

We ended with home winning by 11 and the teams settled down, final foul count for the 2nd half was 14-7 against the visitors as they had to foul to stop the clock.

Would you call a hard foul intentional from what I described in the game. O Player was set, as the defender comes into him, he rises both arms together and knocks the player down. Same play on both ends, I called them the same.
Not sure if it was intentional or not. Was it a basketball move or was it excessive contact? That might answer your question. Whatever you called the first time you need to call the same on the other end. That being said, you can anticipate it getting rougher, so get the first one.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Would you call a hard foul intentional from what I described in the game?
In 25 years of officiating...I have yet to call what you described as an Intentional Foul, so I would say probably not.

Good job keeping it consistent on both ends.
Richland, WA