The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Da Yoopers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This should explain why they are all Yoopers up there, hey.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 01:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Sometimes there is another side of the coin. Quite a few years ago now, an article appeared in the local paper here. It was about an official calling it quits after a long career and, as I recall, was very sympathetic to his perspective. The notable quote from him was something like:

"Now the main objective of the game seems to be beating an opponent in any way you can, as badly as you can, and then to get in his face afterward. I've had enough."

I can relate.
I can agree with that attitude of the participants, but I certanly do not officiate for the players or the coaches. I officiate because I love the game and love the competitiveness I have to do my best and to be the best I can be.

And it just makes me laugh how ignorant fans are about these things and certainly media people.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Sometimes there is another side of the coin. Quite a few years ago now, an article appeared in the local paper here. It was about an official calling it quits after a long career and, as I recall, was very sympathetic to his perspective. The notable quote from him was something like:

"Now the main objective of the game seems to be beating an opponent in any way you can, as badly as you can, and then to get in his face afterward. I've had enough."

I can relate.
I have never officiated for any other reason than I enjoy it. Yes I played, yes I also coached but I don't do it for the kids and I don't care either way for them. I just enjoy the challenges of officiating. Especially the one where I have to be impartial to all parties at all times and above all else.

Officiating for any other reason is just not a good way to approach this hobby/avocation/profession/career IMO.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 01:58pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Not all are like the one in the OP, of course. After a tightly fought rivalry game, I saw the local sports editor in the parking lot. He commented on how well the game was called with all of the tension, etc. I then explained to him what had occurred on one particular play, which was a technical foul for a DOG violation after a warning. He took out his notepad and wrote it down and used that reference in his writeup. He learned something, he was appreciative, he kept it anonymous, and he appeared to be a writer who knew a lot about the game to his readers. It was a play that only about 3 knew about with any certainty. It all boiled down to mutual respect...something that is in short supply.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 04:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have seen many writers that are very responsible and very professional. And it was not very professional to write what he did without some game information that would have backed up even the slightest claim that the officials made mistakes. Even if he was right in some of his observations, it is not very good reporting not to back that up with some numbers or information that says something appeared to be wrong.

I will never forget an article that was written about a playoff game where the coach of the winning team accused the IHSA of basically setting up his team by the location of the game and the officials that were assigned. To make a long story short, the reporter properly quoted the coach but at the end showed the number of FTs shot and missed by this team. I thought it was brilliant because there was no brow beating about what happen in the game or the role of the officials in that game. It was a brilliant article.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Problem here is you've got what appears to be a news piece that is an unsubstantiated rant. The only commentary/ issues are anecdotal. I saw this, I saw that. Free throw dispcrepancy is not an indicator. Though the idea that one team is in zone committing more fouls then a team clutching and grabbing all over the floor seems like there might be something more there then we are hearing about from the coach.

Bottom line unless someone has video evidence of missed calls/ blown calls (not subjective foul calls) on the OOB or travels this is just incendiary for no other reason then to evoke response. MOving on.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!