The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Hey guys,

I am writing an article for a local newpaper as sort of a fan education piece about the rules of the game before the high school season starts here.

It's not a very lengthy piece, only about 500 words so I just wanted some ideas about some of the major rule misconceptions that fans have about the game.

In my mind one of the biggest will be over the back, but what are some of the other major ones that you would suggest be covered.

The piece is ment to hopefully educate the fans, and maybe a few coaches, as to what the rules really are.

Thanks for the help
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Just a few:

- 3 Seconds (When it starts and when it ends)

- Back Court Violation (Both Feet & Ball when dribbling)

- Okay to catch your own airball

- Can Fumble, Dribble, Fumble

- High dribble is NOT carrying

- Cannot travel during throw in

- "Reaching" is not a foul

- Top of backboard is not out of bounds
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

I would begin with the creed a lot of schools have posted, let the players play, the coaches coach, and the officials officiate. Other than that, over the back does not exsist, there is no such term as a reach, three seconds is not always exactly 3 seconds and resets each time there is a shot, legal guarding position, and a player control foul may be committed even if the defensive player is still moving. I would also mention that no matter what they think they see, we have a much better look at the play from our positions than they have in the stands. How's that for a quick list?
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

to add:

- "Continuation" is the same as the NBA rule.

- A "moving screen" isn't a foul unless there's contact, and maybe not even then.

- Not all contact is a foul.

- It's not automaticall BI / GT to touch the ball after the ball hits the backboard.

- It's not BI / GT to slap the backboard.

- No BC violation on a throw-in.

- Don't listen to the announcers on TV or radio.

- Just because you see it on TV doesn't make it "right" for the HS game.

Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

The MOST inportant rules to consider in your article are:

Rule 23.1 The officials "call" is final and considered correct in all circumstances of disagreement among coaches, players, and fans.

Rule 23.2 In the event that the official has made an error refer to Rule 23.1 in all instances.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Block/charge...obtaining/maintaining guarding position. How many times have we heard "but the defender didn't have both feet planted! and my favorite POV 4-44

Such a short article you shouldn't have much problem filling the space with common myths.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 07:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

1) At the HS level, a player with the ball may legally request a timeout as he or she is falling out of bounds.

2) On an inbound play, the inbounding player may legally request a timeout even if the 5 second count is past 4 seconds.

3) Coaches are always wrong on rule interpretations - no exceptions.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 10:36pm
We don't rent pigs

If you have room, you might try a paragraph dealing with common sense.

1. Look at the facts available before you complain. How many times have we heard fans loudly complaining, "It's about time he called a foul on them. He's called a bunch on us." Then you look up at the scoreboard and there's the team foul count: 6-6

2. Many times the officials do not know anybody involved in the game for either side. Why would they want to cheat for one team?

3. Finally, and most importantly I think, you will see bad calls. I don't mean iffy calls. I mean horrible, inexcusable calls. BUT, if you think back a while, or wait a while, you WILL SEE a call that is/was just as bad IN YOUR TEAM'S FAVOR.

It takes a special (weird) kind of person to be a sports official. But we are in many ways the same as people in any other job. For the most part, I think we do the best that we can. Your tolerance is appreciated. Your criticism, justified or not, is almost always accepted without incident.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

you will always get more value for your $ and have more fun doing it, if you spend your energy cheering for your team rather than jeering at the officials.

Unless you are an official yourself, consider writing your article from the perspective of a fan who realizes that he used to know something about the rules a few years ago when he played, but since there has been many many rule changes, now he really just wants to enjoy the game now. Example; If you asked 10 varsity players where do the officials stand during a free throw attempt, I'd bet you might get 3 that would know, and these are players, who should know more than the fans.
Old Thu Nov 25, 2004, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

A couple of things

First, a defensive player just needs to get to a place on the floor first if defending the person with the ball. No need to give them 2 steps.

The second is to know exactly why fans are there. A lot of parents don't realize how much they are an embarassment to their kids when they sit in the stands and act like village idiots. Most with they weren't there. When a player has to deal with a call that did not go there way, that is part of their growth. In these days, a lot of people want their kids to grow up to be victims and always have someone else to blame on their misfortures. So, they should cheer for their team, and help console when things go bad.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
3) Coaches are always wrong on rule interpretations - no exceptions.
Just this week I had a coach actually agree with me on a rule call. So, of course, I changed it!
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
... I would also mention that no matter what they think they see, we have a much better look at the play from our positions than they have in the stands.
I politely disagree with this statement.

Often times it is easier to see the play from a further distance and different angle. What is important in Junker's statement is that the officials have the final call (authority and responsibility) to enforce the rules of the game, based on what THEY have observed.

Finally, it has been said many times over, that officials are "Sometimes wrong, but never indecisive." Nothing is to be gained in berating the official as he is doing his job.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

a few more to add

A few more calls to add to your article:

1) The new kick violation (and must be intentional!!)

2) Sliding on the floor for a loose ball (for example) is not a travel.

3) Remind the fans that the NBA is much different than High School Basketball in terms of rules.

4) All 4 sides of the backboard (top, bottom, 2 sides) are in play.

Good Luck!
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 07:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool Re: a few more to add

Quote:
Originally posted by mthomas

4) All 4 sides of the backboard (top, bottom, 2 sides) are in play.
Actually, the backboard has 6 sides. Only the back side is out of play.

OK - I am wearing my nit-picky hat today. Sorry.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PA Official
Lifting your pivot foot is not a travel...not until it touches the floor again.