The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Question Am I being "That Guy?"

Two things I do that always seem a surprise to coaches and sometimes to my partners.

1. Allow only the HC to stand. Three times this year, I have requested that only the HC stand when I see the AC standing for extended periods and each time they look at me like I'm from Mars. I have requested guidance from our Area Supervisor on this. No reply yet.

2. DOG warnings. Mostly after made baskets where the team that scored will subtly or not so subtly hold the ball, tap the ball etc. preventing the other team from throwing it in. I must be the only one calling it based on the looks I get from the coaches and the table crews.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

1. While I'm not actively looking for it, if I notice it, I'll tell the head coach that only he can use the box to stand (save for the exceptions)

2. I would ask, is there any actual delay occurring? Is it an appreciable delay? If the opponent isn't in a hurry to throw the ball in, I'm not going to call it, unless it's egregious. I can say I haven't called a delay of game warning for interfering with the ball at all this year. From your description, I probably have nothing.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 11:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I only have to deal with #1 in YMCA and AAU games. School games of all levels have coaches who already know this.

#2, I only address if there is a noticeable delay to the new offense, or if the scoring team is somehow giving themselves extra time to set up their press. Even then, I'll give a verbal warning before I go to the book warning.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 12:07pm
Back from the DL

1. I find MS coaches simply sometimes forget this. I speak to the head coach, and it's handled internally. ("Hey Joe, sit down!") Occassionally, you get an overzealous AC that wants to be (or was) an HC. Just remind the HC that the coaching box is only for HC use, and his AC could cost him that use.

2. What others said. At lower levels, the kids typically don't know they're delaying. I like to look for intent here.

Either way, get some thoughts from your assigner.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

1. I rarely have a problem with this since I only work high school games. The only time I dealt with it this season so far is when several players were standing while a play was going on. I just waited for the next whistle and reminded them that they need to stay seated.

2. I've only given one DOG warning this year I think. A kid on the team had tapped the ball after a basket and I told him to leave it alone. It happened again so I gave the warning. No one said anything.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Even then, I'll give a verbal warning before I go to the book warning.
If there's a press I will always give the official warning. At lower levels I have tried the pre-warning warning, and each time I've had the opposing coach ask why it wasn't an official warning, which I really had no good answer for. So now if I deal with it, it's always an official warning. I'd rather do it the right way than get myself in trouble later on by warning one team unofficially and then later in the game have the other team interfere significantly enough that I can't let it go.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 01:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
1. Allow only the HC to stand. Three times this year, I have requested that only the HC stand when I see the AC standing for extended periods and each time they look at me like I'm from Mars. I have requested guidance from our Area Supervisor on this. No reply yet.
Well the rule does not allow the AC to stand. How the rule is enforced is really up to your local body that overseas this thing. In our area we are told they cannot stand. But we try to message them into following the rule rather than first instance give them a T. Usually they comply when instructed.

Quote:
2. DOG warnings. Mostly after made baskets where the team that scored will subtly or not so subtly hold the ball, tap the ball etc. preventing the other team from throwing it in. I must be the only one calling it based on the looks I get from the coaches and the table crews.
I do not call a delay unless it really delays. Simply touching the ball is not enough. Sometimes they touch the ball makes it easier for the opponent to take out the ball. Now when they grab the ball and throw it out of bounds where it goes completely away from a potential thrower, then I have an issue with this action. Some coaches want us to penalize the minute a player touches the ball. And I will consider if a team is running a press as opposed to simply defending the half court. I try to use some preventative officiating as much as possible, but that does not always work.

Basically these come back to the 3 legs of officiating I was taught years ago.

1. Rules Knowledge
2. Mechanics
3. Philosophy

I try to be consistent in my application as much as possible.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 01:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
If there's a press I will always give the official warning. At lower levels I have tried the pre-warning warning, and each time I've had the opposing coach ask why it wasn't an official warning, which I really had no good answer for. So now if I deal with it, it's always an official warning. I'd rather do it the right way than get myself in trouble later on by warning one team unofficially and then later in the game have the other team interfere significantly enough that I can't let it go.
I agree, but those who assign the ms games here (it really isn't an issue at the high school level) want us using preventative officiating on this issue.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
If it's a delay, then give the official warning.

If it's not a delay, then give the "pre-warning" as a game management tool. That can be your answer to the opposing coach.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 01:38pm
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I think this may tie in to the above question. I have also noticed a similar reaction from coaches/scorers when twice this season I've given DoG warnings for having to delay the game while one of the teams has to wipe up a water spill on the floor following a timeout. Is this a "that guy" thing?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 02:13pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I think this may tie in to the above question. I have also noticed a similar reaction from coaches/scorers when twice this season I've given DoG warnings for having to delay the game while one of the teams has to wipe up a water spill on the floor following a timeout. Is this a "that guy" thing?
Absolutely not. If there's any of those four that delays a game....!
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 07:42pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Absolutely not. If there's any of those four that delays a game....!
I've never seen the huddling delay, either, though the 'attaboys' occur after each first of multiple throws.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 08:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've called the water delay once, should have another time. Twice in a season seems like a lot, though.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 08:56pm
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I've called the water delay once, should have another time. Twice in a season seems like a lot, though.
It does seem like a lot, that's why I ask. I've never had to do it any other year though, so maybe it's a freak thing. I hope.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I've never seen the huddling delay, either, though the 'attaboys' occur after each first of multiple throws.
Most of the time, those don't delay the game.

I had to warn both teams for this in one game several years ago.