The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 10:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

Hypothetical Situation ???

NFHS 3-3-1-C: During multiple free throws resulting from personal fouls, substitutions may be made only before the final attempt in the sequence and after the final attempt has been converted. EXCEPTION: When a player is required by rule to be replaced prior to administering the free throw(s), then all other substitutes who have legally reported may also enter the game.

Both Team A, and Team B, have one seven foot player, A7, and B7, who both happen to be resting on the bench when the following play occurs. Five foot point guard A1 fouls B1 while B1 is in the act of shooting an unsuccessful two point field goal. It's A1's fifth foul. Substitutes A6, and A6, are already at the table when the official reports the foul. After reporting the foul, and notifying the coach, and A1, regarding the disqualification, Team A sends seven foot tall A7 to the table to replace disqualified five foot tall point guard A1. The official beckons A6, B6, and A7 into the game. Seeing a mismatch about to occur, Team B immediately sends seven foot tall B7 to the table as a substitute.

By rule, may the official beckon B7 into the game, or must the official wait until after the first free throw to beckon B7 into the game?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 07:16pm.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 10:48am
NFHS Official

I am letting him in.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 01:50pm
We don't rent pigs

The mismatch is going to occur during the first free throw?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 04:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
NFHS 3-3-1-C: During multiple free throws resulting from personal fouls, substitutions may be made only before the final attempt in the sequence and after the final attempt has been converted. EXCEPTION: When a player is required by rule to be replaced prior to administering the free throw(s), then all other substitutes who have legally reported may also enter the game.

Both Team A, and Team B, have one seven foot player, A7, and B7, who both happen to be resting on the bench when the following play occurs. Five foot point guard A1 fouls B1 while B1 is in the act of shooting an unsuccessful two point field goal. It's A1's fifth foul. Substitutes A6, and A6, are already at the table when the official reports the foul. After reporting the foul, and notifying the coach, and A1, regarding the disqualification, Team A sends seven foot tall A7 to the table to replace disqualified five foot tall point guard A1. The official beckons A6, B6, and A7 into the game. Seeing a mismatch about to occur, Team B immediately sends seven foot tall B7 to the table as a substitute.

By rule, may the official beckon A7 into the game, or must the official wait until after the first free throw to beckon B7 into the game?
Had A7 already legally reported at the time the mandatory substitution took place?
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 04:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The mismatch is going to occur during the first free throw?
Exactly. No reason not to wait.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 07:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Disqualification Substitution ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Had A7 already legally reported at the time the mandatory substitution took place?
A7 replaced the disqualified player.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By rule, may the official beckon A7 into the game, or must the official wait until after the first free throw to beckon B7 into the game?
Yes, A7 may enter.

No, B7 may not enter.

What does one question have to do with the other?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 09:49pm.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 08:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
A7 replaced the disqualified player.
I meant B7, who reported after the other subs already became players.

Tony, how did I get my name inserted in place of Billy's
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 08:49pm
AremRed

Quote:
I don't see a reason why not. The rule says to let those in who have legally reported. The rule does not say by when the substitutes have to report.

During free-throws with no disqualification, one team will send in a player, and we will beckon him in. The other team sees this sub, and immediately counters with their sub. As long as the 2nd sub gets to the table before we administer the free-throw, we let him in, and all is fine. Why would this situation be any different?

Last edited by AremRed; Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 08:50pm. Reason: grammar
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
I don't see a reason why not. The rule says to let those in who have legally reported. The rule does not say by when the substitutes have to report.
Actually, it does say when they have to report if they want to enter before the first of a multiple FT. (3-3-1c)

Quote:
During free-throws with no disqualification, one team will send in a player, and we will beckon him in. The other team sees this sub, and immediately counters with their sub. As long as the 2nd sub gets to the table before we administer the free-throw, we let him in, and all is fine. Why would this situation be any different?
We're talking about bringing players in BEFORE the FIRST of TWO free throws.

If A7 replaces fouled out A1, only the players who have reported prior to A7 entering the game may enter before the FIRST free throw.

By rule, when B7 reports after A7 has entered, he must now wait until after the first free throw to enter.

As someone stated, the entire situation is meaningless, since nothing is going to happen during the first free throw that places Team B at any type of disadvantage.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 10:26pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
As someone stated, the entire situation is meaningless, since nothing is going to happen during the first free throw that places Team B at any type of disadvantage.
I presume this means that the counter-sub can simply enter before the final free throw? Or in a 1 and 1 situation where the first is missed, the counter-sub has to wait until the next dead ball?
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 10:34pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I presume this means that the counter-sub can simply enter before the final free throw? Or in a 1 and 1 situation where the first is missed, the counter-sub has to wait until the next dead ball?
On a 1 and 1 all subs can enter before the first free throw.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 10:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The entire scenario doesn't apply to one and one free throws.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 10:57pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The entire scenario doesn't apply to one and one free throws.
So, back the the OP situation, the replacement can enter before the 1st free throw, but the counter-sub has to wait until the next available opportunity. Yes, this does seem meaningless, but does anyone have an idea why the rulebook is sticky on this situation?
Old Sat Jan 26, 2013, 11:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
So, back the the OP situation, the replacement can enter before the 1st free throw, but the counter-sub has to wait until the next available opportunity. Yes, this does seem meaningless, but does anyone have an idea why the rulebook is sticky on this situation?
For the same reason they decided not to normally allow subs before the first of two free throws, to speed the game up.