The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:50pm
Ok is the new good

Chicago Shooting after Game

An important basketball game between rivals Morgan Park and Simeon was held at Chicago State University on Jan. 16. At the end of the game, one player from each team pushed each other during the handshake line, according to CPS spokesman Frank Shuftan.

Simeon is the three-time defending state champion and currently ranked No. 2 in the Sun-Times Super 25, while Morgan Park also is a perennial power, currently ranked third.

Earlier Wednesday, Chicago Public Schools suspended the basketball coaches of Morgan Park High School and Simeon High School for four games each. Simeon coach Robert Smith and Morgan Park coach Nick Irvin must attend the games but cannot coach at them, according to CPS.

Chicago Public Schools’ CEO warned all CPS coaches Wednesday that if they didn’t play by the rules of sportsmanship, their sports programs could be in jeopardy.

Any comments or info from our Chicago area officials??
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

I know one poster has already made reference to this incident in another thread.

But your title mentions a shooting but nothing in your post refers to a shooting.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:56pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I know one poster has already made reference to this incident in another thread.

But your title mentions a shooting but nothing in your post refers to a shooting.
Then outside in a parking lot after the game in an allegedly unrelated incident, Tyrone Lawson II was fatally shot. Two brothers since have been charged with his murder.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:50am
Do not give a damn!!

CPS CEO sends clear message to coaches

Mayor speaks on the role that officials have to play

I just want to know what officials have to do with this issue? Unless they were doing the fighting (it happened after the game was over BTW) I would like to know what officials did that was the problem?

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 12:53am.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 07:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

And The Lights All Went Out In Massachusetts (The Bee Gees) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I just want to know what officials have to do with this issue?
Is Chicago State University in Massaachusetts?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
CPS CEO sends clear message to coaches

Mayor speaks on the role that officials have to play

I just want to know what officials have to do with this issue? Unless they were doing the fighting (it happened after the game was over BTW) I would like to know what officials did that was the problem?

Peace
It's possible (I wasn't there and didn't follow any of the links) that incidents during the game lead to (or contributed toward) the fight and that different actions by the officials during the game might have led to a different outcome.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It's possible (I wasn't there and didn't follow any of the links) that incidents during the game lead to (or contributed toward) the fight and that different actions by the officials during the game might have led to a different outcome.
I guess it is possible, but these teams do not like each other. They have not liked each other for some time. It would be like any geographic rivalry and being surprised there is bad blood. And I have yet to hear anything in the game that was even a problem.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 24, 2013, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

This is a perfect example of why coaches need to set the standard for conduct. Have you ever noticed in games you work that coaches that are crazy you tend to have issues with the players? In games with coaches who are in control, rarely do we have issues with the players.

Now the coach conduct didn't cause the situation, but it certainly helped escalate it.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
An important basketball game between rivals Morgan Park and Simeon was held at Chicago State University on Jan. 16. At the end of the game, one player from each team pushed each other during the handshake line, according to CPS spokesman Frank Shuftan.

Simeon is the three-time defending state champion and currently ranked No. 2 in the Sun-Times Super 25, while Morgan Park also is a perennial power, currently ranked third.

Earlier Wednesday, Chicago Public Schools suspended the basketball coaches of Morgan Park High School and Simeon High School for four games each. Simeon coach Robert Smith and Morgan Park coach Nick Irvin must attend the games but cannot coach at them, according to CPS.

Chicago Public Schools’ CEO warned all CPS coaches Wednesday that if they didn’t play by the rules of sportsmanship, their sports programs could be in jeopardy.

Any comments or info from our Chicago area officials??
Any video of the incident? There appears to be no video on the game broadcast which was (and is) avaliable on ESPN3. Also could it be related to what Morgan Park tried at the end of the game? For those who didn't see see it Morgan Park was out of time outs and scored with about 3 seconds to go and threw the ball away from Simeon trying to get a clock stopage. The officials let the clock continue to run and the game ended. So besides being a major rivalry could there have been frustration on the part of Morgan Park not getting what they felt should have happened. And for what it ius worth on the broadcast the TV crew gave the officilas credit for not stopping the clock to chase the ball down.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 02:15am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
Any video of the incident? There appears to be no video on the game broadcast which was (and is) avaliable on ESPN3. Also could it be related to what Morgan Park tried at the end of the game? For those who didn't see see it Morgan Park was out of time outs and scored with about 3 seconds to go and threw the ball away from Simeon trying to get a clock stopage. The officials let the clock continue to run and the game ended. So besides being a major rivalry could there have been frustration on the part of Morgan Park not getting what they felt should have happened. And for what it ius worth on the broadcast the TV crew gave the officilas credit for not stopping the clock to chase the ball down.
I do not care what happened in the game, the incident took place in the handshake line. The officials were gone and I cannot blame the them for what took place after the game. Maybe if something took place during the game you could examine some parts of the situation and then take action. I might be able to find out more about this situation as I will be in the city on Saturday and might be working with one of the officials that was on the game. But based on my knowledge of the parties involved, this was something going to happen no matter who was working the game.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 03:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not care what happened in the game, the incident took place in the handshake line. The officials were gone and I cannot blame the them for what took place after the game. Maybe if something took place during the game you could examine some parts of the situation and then take action. I might be able to find out more about this situation as I will be in the city on Saturday and might be working with one of the officials that was on the game. But based on my knowledge of the parties involved, this was something going to happen no matter who was working the game.

Peace
Thought maybe the pushing in the handshake line MIGHT have been caused(slightly) by some frustration over what was PERCEIVED to be an incorrect non-call(but was right) . I know (generally) jurisdictiion ends for officials after they leave the floor.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 10:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
Thought maybe the pushing in the handshake line MIGHT have been caused(slightly) by some frustration over what was PERCEIVED to be an incorrect non-call(but was right) . I know (generally) jurisdictiion ends for officials after they leave the floor.
As I said the officials were gone. And based on past situations and issues that both coaches seem to have with each other, I doubt this was limited to anything the officials did or did not do. It would not take much. This is not like a certain state where the officials stick around to know what happens after the game.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Here's an additional story from the Trib. Apparently, the coaches jawed at each other as well. The mayor's quote about the refs was only in passing, a boilerplate comment....[edited with link instead of c/p of entire article]

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...a-byrd-bennett

"Mayor Rahm Emanuel said the schools' coaches had a responsibility to be role models for their players.

“I think all the adults that went to that game have a role to play in setting an example for our kids,” Emanuel said when asked about the suspensions at an unrelated news conference. “That includes the refs. That includes the parents in the bleachers, and it also includes the coaches. Players look to you. Kids going to the schools, as well as going to the games, look to you. And if you had any role or position in which you did not set an example, that's more than just unfortunate.” "

Last edited by scrounge; Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 12:15pm.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 11:59am
Medium Kahuna

Better to post a link, not the actual copy, which is protected.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
This is a perfect example of why coaches need to set the standard for conduct. Have you ever noticed in games you work that coaches that are crazy you tend to have issues with the players? In games with coaches who are in control, rarely do we have issues with the players.

Now the coach conduct didn't cause the situation, but it certainly helped escalate it.
This is noticeable to me at lower levels, such as competitive youth leagues and tournaments. Not really at the varsity level.