The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Joey C is Out of Control

Watching the Clippers/Wizards game just now and I think this is what I just saw:

After a questionable call against the Wizards for an offensive elbow Crawford Td up the Wizards coach.

Crawford was doing his thing while the L administered the technical, which Chris Paul missed and apparently so did Crawford. He walks toward Paul at the free throw line and makes circles with both index fingers saying "let's go." Everybody is looking at him like WTF then Crawford yells at the L, "give me the Gawd Damn ball" and makes them reshoot the technical, which Paul makes.

Don't know what my point is other than being a ranting loser on an officiating forum at midnight. Crawford is obviously a great official but some of his antics really do strike me as out of control. His partner who administered the technical FT seemed visibly, and rightfully, pissed.

Last edited by VaTerp; Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 12:20am.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:33am
Often wrong never n doubt

Maybe he thought if I give a tech, they are getting the point no matter how long this takes. Seriously though he does like being a little over the top.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Just saw Joey (with hair) working Game 7 of the 94 Finals (Houston/New York). Top of the game for a very long time -- say what you want about Joey, you can't take that away from him.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Just saw Joey (with hair) working Game 7 of the 94 Finals (Houston/New York). Top of the game for a very long time -- say what you want about Joey, you can't take that away from him.
Last game 7 of the NBA Finals, in 2010, he was the crew chief with Dan Crawford and Scott Foster being the referees...it's safe to say, if there's a game 7 in the NBA Finals, he WILL be the crew chief for that game.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 11:52am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I hope Joe C is around until Dick's age.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Last game 7 of the NBA Finals, in 2010, he was the crew chief with Dan Crawford and Scott Foster being the referees...it's safe to say, if there's a game 7 in the NBA Finals, he WILL be the crew chief for that game.
I can't remember where I saw this but apparently over the last twenty years, the NBA Finals have gone the distance four times. Joe Crawford has refereed Game 7 each time. Case closed.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Guy's done more Finals games than any other active official, and not just because of longevity.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 08:09pm
AremRed

Are you gentlemen familiar with this article?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/06/sp...a-referee.html
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 08:18pm

Yes, I've read the article before.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, it's been posted here before.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:19pm
AremRed

It amazes me that he broke his finger while giving a tech. Amazing.

One would think that his anger problem (I think he mentions getting therapy) would be a detriment to his success in the league. I understand the NBA works differently, but getting angry during a game is something that should hurt a refs advancement, no?
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwestref View Post
It amazes me that he broke his finger while giving a tech. Amazing.

One would think that his anger problem (I think he mentions getting therapy) would be a detriment to his success in the league. I understand the NBA works differently, but getting angry during a game is something that should hurt a refs advancement, no?
I think much of it stems from the era that Joey started in.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
I totally get the nostalgia thing, but good grief. It's very interesting that no one wants to comment on the OP, but would rather just remember the good ol' days with old Joey.

Here's the clip described in the OP. Crawford has surely had his days of glory, but he has turned into the proverbial 'crazy Uncle Joe'.....

Joey Crawford going off!! - YouTube
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
I totally get the nostalgia thing, but good grief. It's very interesting that no one wants to comment on the OP, but would rather just remember the good ol' days with old Joey.

Here's the clip described in the OP. Crawford has surely had his days of glory, but he has turned into the proverbial 'crazy Uncle Joe'.....

Clip doesn't show the shot being taken while JC is fluttering around... anyone have a video that shows that?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jan 23, 2013, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post

The overall sentiment is this thread seems to be that Crawford has earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants to do, and to do so without criticism. Maybe he has.

I just think that it's a little out of control that he essentially made them redo a FT after a missed shot for a technical, yelled loudly at his partner to give him the G-Damn ball, and then readministered the FT himself from the C position.

I have a ton of respect for the guy. He has accomplished things that I can only dream of and I'm not suggesting there be any sort of action taken against him. I'm just opining that he was certainly over the top and out of control in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Clip doesn't show the shot being taken while JC is fluttering around... anyone have a video that shows that?
I'm interested in seeing the whole thing again as well to make sure that what I think transpired is actually what happened.

But I was watching live and know for a fact that Paul shot and missed the first shot for the T. And since the NBA only awards one shot for a T then Crawford either issued a second T that most in the gym did not pick up on (possible) or he just did his own thing and made them re-shoot.

Notice that even Chris Paul is looking at him like, "are you sure I get another shot here? Is it ok for me to shoot now, Joey?"