The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I swear. I thought saturday night was it but OH NOOOO! I'm calling in the girls leage thats co-sponosred by the school district. Well... I showed up ready 20 min before the game. My parenter isnt there.. im thinking great! I can tell how this is gunna go. He finally shows up in Khaki shorts no shirt and believe it or not he managed to scrounge up a whistle from his little girl. He tells me he left his bag at home wife is on the way. Asks for my pregame baord (starting to impress me) We cover qucik stuff and we get ready. Wife shows up halfway through first quater with bag (Can you believe this guy takes his uniform to the cleaners!? - i mean im lazy but not that lazy) so he changes between quaters.. Ok - My shoes are shiny but DANG! I could see myself in his.. Long story short it was a great first game for me in this leauge. Well we had some rules issues come up. Lucky for me I finsied going through the book again roughly af ew weeks ago. So I step in the conversation and straighten the coaches out and my partner is impressed. Well several times I see my new assignor stick his head in and talk to my partner. Never could tell what they were saying. After each game a few ppl approached me and said thanks for calling such a great game. We've never seen anoyne officiate like that and it was great to see it out there tongiht! What games has he been puttin you on? LOLL! The level of play is soo much better in this league. And the coaches know we wont put up with any crap. So the next two games go great. Ones a total blow out that seemed to last forever. And the last game looked more like a NCAA championship game. One coach made the comment, you know i disagreed with you a whole lot tonight but dang,son. you did a great job! I walked out off of that floor thinking Sheesh, is it possible that i've had the close to perfect games in my carrer? I want games like this all tie time! ( too good to be true I know!) Anyway. he says he's gunna be calling me back soon so that is a good sign. My partner said my mechanics were great for my age/expericne. Its amazing what a camp will do for you. I dont ever not referee. I just had way too mcuh fun out there.

(FYI- cought myself with a davism tonight :-/ )
Coach; THREE SECONDS THREE SECONDS THREE SECONDS
Me: ya know coach everytime you yell at me you breaky my concentration. I cant ever get past one.
(next time down on his end)
Coach: ONE TWO THREE
me: cmon coach didnt you learn to start counting to yourself in third grade
coach: (grumble) your not calling it because im giving you a hard time.
me: (WHISTLE) THREE SECONDS BLUE BALL
Coach: thanks ref.
me: just so you know coach, you were right!
coach: huh?
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Just a quick tip (especially important when doing any college-related games) - never, never, never, EVER (I don't give a damn about what J. Dallas Shirley says ) say "blue ball." (I'm sure Padgett will be happy to explain why.)

All that needs to be said is the color of the team that will be recieving the throw-in.
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

LOL- i cant wait to hear this one
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ace
One coach made the comment, you know i disagreed with you a whole lot tonight but dang,son. you did a great job! I walked out off of that floor thinking Sheesh, is it possible that i've had the close to perfect games in my carrer? I want games like this all tie time! ( too good to be true I know!) Anyway. he says he's gunna be calling me back soon so that is a good sign.
What you will hear on this board, and in general I suppose I agree, is that you must believe them when they tell you you're bad if you believe them when they tell you that you're good.

But in the situation you describe, I think you can feel pretty good about your self. These compliments are specific, and directed at you personally, and indicate that you really did do a great job. Keep up the great work!!
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Another great thing about this leauge, and I'm sure Julie willl be glad to hear this, is that is all girls leauge. It's making me take a whole new approach at officiating the game of basketball when I call a girls game. In my other leuage the level play is rather sloppy no matter what... but here its definitly GIRLS basketball. I kinna like Girls basketball... Makes me work REALLY hard on mechanics!
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 12:28am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
- never, never, never, EVER say "blue ball." (I'm sure Padgett will be happy to explain why.)
In case you don't get the "blue ball" reference, here's a picture of the latest guy to suffer from this terrible malady.

His problem is that Polly didn't finish off his cracker.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 07:50am
In Memoriam

Hmmmm.

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
(FYI- ...cought myself with a davism tonight :-/ )....
Attaboy, ace.
Glad you had a great game.

"It is said an Eastern monarch once charged his wise men to invent him a sentence to be ever in view, and which should be true in all times and situations. They presented him with the words: 'And this, too, shall pass away.' How much it expresses! How chastening in our hour of pride! How consoling in out depths of affliction! - Address to the Wisconsin State Agricultural Society, Milwaukee [September 30, 1859]"

mick

Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
Wife shows up halfway through first quater with bag (Can you believe this guy takes his uniform to the cleaners!? - i mean im lazy but not that lazy)
It doesn't have anything to do with being lazy. Lots of officials do it. Machine washing is hard on uniforms. The cleaners do a better job. Also, the cost is tax deductible.

Quote:
me: (WHISTLE) THREE SECONDS BLUE BALL
It's just "Blue!" Get it? Not "Blue ball."
Just "Blue!"

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
[B]It doesn't have anything to do with being lazy. Lots of officials do it. Machine washing is hard on uniforms. The cleaners do a better job. Also, the cost is tax deductible.
Maching washing is hard on polyester? You need to tune your washer down a little bit, then.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Just a quick tip (especially important when doing any college-related games) - never, never, never, EVER (I don't give a damn about what J. Dallas Shirley says ) say "blue ball." (I'm sure Padgett will be happy to explain why.)

All that needs to be said is the color of the team that will be recieving the throw-in.
I've also been instructed to say, gold, never say yellow.

Sounds like good work Ace.

Stan
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 01:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

[/B]
In case you don't get the "blue ball" reference, here's a picture of the latest guy to suffer from this terrible malady.

[/B][/QUOTE]Wow,that's worse than having Grape Nuts!
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 01:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Stan

I've also been instructed to say, gold, never say yellow.
Stan
That's correct. There are no two syllable colors in basketball. Yellow is gold, purple is blue and chartreuse is......
hell, I don't know.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

along the lines of the one syllable colors....I worked a charity game last month where players/ex-players from a pro football team play the local cops in Basketball....to make a long story short, both teams had on white jerseys...so at the tip I pointed out that at least we won't be wrong on any oob calls.......ball oob "White"...and move along
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
chartreuse is......hell
I thought war was hell
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 03:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote: