The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:09am
Back from the DL

Strange Night II

Now that I've killed Eastshire's thread with candy bar footage, the least I can do is bring my own weirdness, especially after today's MS doubleheader (MS girls, then boys). There were so many unusual things today: Ball coming to rest on a flange (finally, it happened to me), honoring a coach's time out request when his team was on defense (can't remember ever doing that before), but this one takes the cake:

After my partner and I dressed for the games, we were asked by the school secretary to come into the office. She asked others to leave while she spoke to us, and closed the door. Apparently, she wanted us to be aware that there's been some behavior issues with the boys' home scorekeeper, and if we feel that a technical foul is necessary, feel free to handle it, and there will be game management ready to deal with it. This scorekeeper, in his early to mid 30s, used to be a coach, wasn't asked back, yet has somehow worked his way back into the scorekeeper's role. I pointed out that, since he's the official scorekeeper, the only true course of action we'd have is removal, and we'd do so, if necessary. The game manager also introduced herself, and told us she'd be ready if we needed her.

Bear in mind, this is a VERY small school. The only row of bleachers on one side goes four rows deep. The official scorekeeper works from a third-grade desk at the top of the bleachers. The official scorekeeper sits in the first row, near the division line. It's the first time I only had to use my "inside voice" to report fouls. And, of course, there is literally two inches between the three-point line and sideline.

I was the R for the boys' game. I went to check the book, introduced myself, found a couple of omissions (not T-worthy at this level), took care of business, and closed our conversation with something I've never said before to a time/scorekeeper, "Welcome to our team."

I thought it got the point across, and had no issues with the guy, except when he once questioned a backcourt call, as if he were coaching. I gave my answer, and he backed off. (I let him have that one. He didn't do it again.)

When we came out for the second half, I pointed out the scorekeeper to my partner, and noted my little pre-game must have been effective.

"Oh," my partner grinned, "I don't think so. I was told his mother's in the crowd tonight."

Last edited by bainsey; Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 12:14am.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 07:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Line In The Sand ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
He once questioned a backcourt call.
Official scorekeepers should not be doing this, not even once. Definitely not "Removal-Worthy", but he definitely crossed a line. Sounds like the school secretary was not too far away from the truth.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

I just did a game yesterday where the scorekeeper was saying "That's a foul", "She traveled" and other stuff. At first I thought it was coming from the Head Coach, but realized it wasn't when the coach was at the end of the bench talking to her player and I hear the comments.
She was not loud. And I did not make this an issue. I will remember this next time I visit the school.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Official scorekeepers should not be doing this, not even once. Definitely not "Removal-Worthy", but he definitely crossed a line. Sounds like the school secretary was not too far away from the truth.
Anyone had a "Removal-Worthy" incident?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 02:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
No, but I'm not shy about telling table personnel that they are not going to act like a fan when performing table duties. And I don't sugarcoat it either.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
High School kid was doing the clock while the AD did the book. It was a varsity double header. Kid was fine for the first game, but he wanted to leave when it was over and the AD begged him to stay. Second game, there were constant clock problems. I finally had him removed...for which the kid was very appreciative. The AD ended up doing both.

I once removed a scorer from an AAU game after he started a verbal fight with the coach from the other team.

A fellow official removed the shot clock operator from a varsity game because he was drunk...to the point that he constantly reset or failed to reset the clock.

It happens. Be prepared to deal with it.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 04:09pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Apparently, she wanted us to be aware that there's been some behavior issues with the boys' home scorekeeper, and if we feel that a technical foul is necessary, feel free to handle it.....
This was funny to me. I could see this at every game! Gee, thanks for the warning.

Quote:
I'v removed one scorekeeper and one clock op over the yrs as they were just "too partial" and protesteth too much. NEXT!
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

I dumped an announcer once, albeit during a football game.

West Houston Mike