The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Batting ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93540-batting-ball.html)

YooperReferee Wed Jan 16, 2013 09:10am

Batting ball

30 seconds remaining, 4th quarter, team A in bounding under their basket following a time out. In an effort to keep time from running off the clock, the in bounder rolls ball along floor to the guard in the backcourt. The guard lets ball roll almost to division line, and due to ball loosing momentum, reaches down and taps ball forward continuing roll(clock starts on touch). He then pick up ball starts a dibble. Illegal pass or no call. I have illegal pass if I'd call anything

BillyMac Wed Jan 16, 2013 09:23am

My Best Guess ...

No call (as long as the clock starts).

APG Wed Jan 16, 2013 09:25am

There's no such call as an illegal pass. The play as you describe is nothing.

YooperReferee Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:05am

Was thinking along the lines of a self pass

ODog Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:07am

I'm also guessing this inbounds pass took place near Team B's basket, and hopefully not under it.

MD Longhorn Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by YooperReferee (Post 872414)
30 seconds remaining, 4th quarter, team A in bounding under their basket following a time out. In an effort to keep time from running off the clock, the in bounder rolls ball along floor to the guard in the backcourt. The guard lets ball roll almost to division line, and due to ball loosing momentum, reaches down and taps ball forward continuing roll(clock starts on touch). He then pick up ball starts a dibble. Illegal pass or no call. I have illegal pass if I'd call anything

Backcourt violation?

APG Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by YooperReferee (Post 872453)

There is no such thing under NFHS/NCAA rules by definition. A pass, by definition is movement of the ball who throws, bats, or rolls the ball to another player.

Smitty Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 872456)
Backcourt violation?

Why?

APG Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 872456)
Backcourt violation?

It's safe to say the OP meant under the opponent's basket...but even so, no backcourt violation as player control inbounds and in the frontcourt never occurred.

evictor24 Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:23am

I think he's simply trying to ask: should there be a violation for tapping a rolling ball on the floor to speed it up, then pick it up with both hands and start dribbling?

I do not know the answer to this. Sounds like you COULD say he gained possession by tapping it in the direction and speed he wanted it to go. I would have a no call here. Sounds goofy.

APG Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by evictor24 (Post 872464)
I think he's simply trying to ask: should there be a violation for tapping a rolling ball on the floor to speed it up, then pick it up with both hands and start dribbling?

I do not know the answer to this. Sounds like you COULD say he gained possession by tapping it in the direction and speed he wanted it to go. I would have a no call here. Sounds goofy.

Which I already answered...no violation. What rule did he violate? He never had player control as he wasn't holding or dribbling the ball...so you can't have an illegal dribble. You can't have traveling because he was never holding the ball.

Play on

Adam Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by YooperReferee (Post 872453)

Remove that phrase from your vocabulary.

YooperReferee Wed Jan 16, 2013 01:28pm

Yes, ball was inbounded under opponents basket in team A's backcourt. Sometimes a no call is better than "assuming" there was a violation. Very weird scenario and actually happened. The ref called travelling FYI.

Camron Rust Wed Jan 16, 2013 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by YooperReferee (Post 872493)
Yes, ball was inbounded under opponents basket in team A's backcourt. Sometimes a no call is better than "assuming" there was a violation. Very weird scenario and actually happened. The ref called travelling FYI.

And what is the primary element required for traveling...."Holding" the ball. If a player is not holding the ball, they can't travel....ever. And all of the traveling situations that appear to be absent that element really do have it at some point in the sequence.

APG Wed Jan 16, 2013 03:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 872469)
Remove that phrase from your vocabulary.

Unless you're working in the NBA/WNBA/D-League ;)