The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Huh? What happened

Daughter's 7th grade game again. I'll refrain from ragging the officials this time (at least in this thread), although they were no better, and again we have one official officiating and the other one jogging around with no purpose ... but I digress.

Other team is shooting free throws after a foul on their shooter. No one seems to be chirping - it's rather quiet as basketball games go, and everyone's focused on the shooter. After the first shot, which misses, the good official blows his whistle. He says something quietly to the table, then something to our coach, and then something to their coach.

He then clears the lane for the 2nd free throw. After the miss, someone from our team gets to shoot 2 with the lane cleared - and he gives the ball to our team at the table.

He didn't signal a T. The foul count didn't change.

I'm racking my brain to figure out what the call was.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:58am
Esteemed Participant

Did you ask your daughters' coach?
Old Tue Jan 15, 2013, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

A CE situation from a few moments earlier?
Old Tue Jan 15, 2013, 12:06pm
TODO: creative title here

Technical foul of some sort.

Hard to say for sure, but my guess is that it was an administrative technical: adding a player to the scorebook or somesuch. Probably was noticed by the table after the official reported the foul and the scorekeeper couldn't find the fouler in the book.

Assuming it was discovered while the ball was live for the first FT attempt, I've have handled it the same way. Talk to both coaches (quietly), clear the lane, administer the remaining free throws, get the game going again (throw-in should be opposite table, but in some tight-quarters gyms I've worked 7th grade games in, I'd administer tableside for lack of space opposite). I would've at least made a T signal to the table though.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2013, 01:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

A1 was not in the book.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2013, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post

Hard to say for sure, but my guess is that it was an administrative technical: adding a player to the scorebook or somesuch. Probably was noticed by the table after the official reported the foul and the scorekeeper couldn't find the fouler in the book.

Assuming it was discovered while the ball was live for the first FT attempt, I've have handled it the same way. Talk to both coaches (quietly), clear the lane, administer the remaining free throws, get the game going again (throw-in should be opposite table, but in some tight-quarters gyms I've worked 7th grade games in, I'd administer tableside for lack of space opposite). I would've at least made a T signal to the table though.
The fouler was on the team that was awarded the free throws.

Seems this should have been caught when the player first came on the floor for substitution.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2013, 02:01pm
TODO: creative title here

That's what I get for skimming the OP.

If it was A1 who wasn't in the book, yes, it should've been caught when she subbed in initially. However, considering it's a 7th grade game, with a possibly inexperienced table crew, it's entirely possible that they didn't notice until they tried to find her number to record points for any made free throws.

It happens.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2013, 02:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Either way, a team foul should have been added.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2013, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post

This was my first assumption - in fact I was explaining that to the guy next to me...

Until WE got to shoot 2 as well.

(PS - no, I didn't ask our coach. They are on the other side of the gym, and exit from that side as well. He rarely sticks around more than the amount of time it takes to say, "Good game girls. Practice tomorrow at 6." Then seeeeeyaaa.)

West Houston Mike

Last edited by MD Longhorn; Tue Jan 15, 2013 at 02:59pm.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2013, 03:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
This was my first assumption - in fact I was explaining that to the guy next to me...

Why would shooting 2 shots make you think it wasn't a technical?
Old Tue Jan 15, 2013, 03:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post

(PS - no, I didn't ask our coach. They are on the other side of the gym, and exit from that side as well. He rarely sticks around more than the amount of time it takes to say, "Good game girls. Practice tomorrow at 6." Then seeeeeyaaa.)
A1 shooting the first free throw made have been the first time the scorer had to reference her number in the book. A1 is not in the book so a T is called, A1 shoots her 2nd free throw, your team shoots 2 free throws, your team gets a throw-in at the division line.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2013, 09:22pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Either way, a team foul should have been added.
True but I've run into a lot of score keepers at this level that don't know this.

I'm glad I don't work in the chapter that services your daughter's school, I'd be leery to see my evaluation.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2013, 09:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
True but I've run into a lot of score keepers at this level that don't know this.

I'm glad I don't work in the chapter that services your daughter's school, I'd be leery to see my evaluation.
Heh, I agree. I wouldn't see it as a major deal, but whenever I have a T, i make sure they add it to the foul count.