The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 08:45am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Agreed, that is what I was thinking when I saw this play.

Play #2 I saw live and thought this was clearly missed. I just think a lot of officials simply give the benefit of the doubt for a touch by the defense and consider it a tip and never call the violation.

Peace
Agreed.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 09:22am
NFHS Official

Play 1. Travel on #2, nothing on the dunk.

Play 2. It looks to me that the official got straightlined and didn't get a good look at the ball hitting the leg.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Leads Signal?

Should lead be calling this? And mirroring?
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Play 1. Travel on #2, nothing on the dunk.

Play 2. It looks to me that the official got straightlined and didn't get a good look at the ball hitting the leg.
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockitoff View Post
Should lead be calling this? And mirroring?
No. And no one should be using the "swirlie signal."
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 09:49am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I agree

No. And no one should be using the "swirlie signal."
You tell Doug Shows he can't use the 'swirlie' signal.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

When I saw them mirroring the BI, the swirlie's and the Lead w/ his "honk your horn!" motions, I started looking for a disco-crystal ball to drop in to the screen.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
Why would a person even call that BI or a T? He attempted a shot, missed, didn't hang on the rim, and his hand released the rim before the gained control of the ball. Making a mountain out of a mole-hill to me. You shouldn't call a travel either, because he did attempt a shot, and he is allowed to get his own rebound even if it doesn't hit the rim.
But he did hang on the rim - long enough to help himself swing toward the ball... and "before he gained control of the ball" is not the measure here - before he began his attempt to reach the ball would be more accurate (and the fact that he did NOT release the rim before attempting to get the ball is the reason for the clear violation).

I hope this video is used in training.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I don't see him as using the rim to swing. I see an attempted dunk, a released rim and a rebound. Given that he attempted a dunk, I would need to see some secondary action that was not part of the momentum of the dunk before I would feel that he had illegally contacted the rim and I just don't see that here.

In other words, I do think he let go and fell to the floor. You seem to think that he should have fell straight down but his momentum was towards the basket so unless he used the rim to check his momentum he's going to fall to the other side of the basket, like we see in the video.
It's nothing for me.
Watch it again. watch the 1st replay, and pause your screen the second the hands hit the rim. Decide for yourself where his natural landing point is... and then unpause. He swings a good solid foot, perhaps a foot and a half, toward the ball before landing.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

I've got nothing as far as BI
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And no one should be using the "swirlie signal."
I don't do college, so it doesn't come up all that often, but this is an honest question: What is the approved signal for BI and/or goaltending?

I think if it ever came up in a HS game, I'd probably reflexively do the swirlie motion, but I don't want to be "that guy" if it's a fake signal.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Watch it again. watch the 1st replay, and pause your screen the second the hands hit the rim. Decide for yourself where his natural landing point is... and then unpause. He swings a good solid foot, perhaps a foot and a half, toward the ball before landing.
His natural landing point if the rim hadn't been there or his natural landing point given that he just tried to dunk the ball? I do not see him use the ring to adjust his flight in response to missing the dunk.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 12:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You tell Doug Shows he can't use the 'swirlie' signal.
I have no issue with the swirlie. Everybody knows what it means.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
I don't do college, so it doesn't come up all that often, but this is an honest question: What is the approved signal for BI and/or goaltending?

I think if it ever came up in a HS game, I'd probably reflexively do the swirlie motion, but I don't want to be "that guy" if it's a fake signal.
There isn't one. For me, after stopping the clock, point at either the offender or the basket, state "That's basket interference." and give the other team's direction/signal for points to be awarded.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I have no issue with the swirlie. Everybody knows what it means.
Everybody knows what it means when an official says "on the floor" too. Doesn't make it right. I just want to know the right signal (if there is one).
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Everybody knows what it means when an official says "on the floor" too. Doesn't make it right. I just want to know the right signal (if there is one).
The problem with saying "on the floor" is that it helps spread the belief that a player can't be in the act of shooting if they're on the floor (and as a side note, it's been my experience that those that do say "on the floor" are incorrectly not awarding free throws when they should be). The NBA signal for basket interference does no such thing.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.