The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

John Adams Talks Controversial Calls

Mr. Adams covers the Ariz vs Colorado last second shot, Marquette vs UConn OT, and block/charge plays.

Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to point out JA wants more "blocking fouls." This is especially for those members who roasted me on the "almost blarge" thread.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 03:37pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
I would like to point out JA wants more "blocking fouls." This is especially for those members who roasted me on the "almost blarge" thread.
Did you listen to what he said after that though?

Quote:
"We're getting there. I thought our game would benefit from more blocking fouls. And while that may be the case when you go back and you actually do an analysis of all the block/charge plays in the NCAA tournament from last year, we found that, quite honestly, we were penalizing legal defenders more than we were rewarding guys going to the basket."
What I'm reading here is that we weren't giving defenders with LGP the benefit of the doubt... The way I understand that is we were calling blocking fouls when they actually should've been charges.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 03:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
You didn't listen to the end, then. Listen again -- Adams said that in the tournament last year that they penalized defenders more than they should've.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 03:42pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
What I'm reading here is that we weren't giving defenders with LGP the benefit of the doubt... The way I understand that is we were calling blocking fouls when they actually should've been charges.
All season, the information coming from John Adams has been that officials are calling player control fouls on plays that should be blocking. Almost every time he says this he has video clips that support what he is saying.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 03:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
All season, the information coming from John Adams has been that officials are calling player control fouls on plays that should be blocking. Almost every time he says this he has video clips that support what he is saying.
I still don't see what that has to do with the blarge that was posted the other day.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 03:49pm
beware big brother

tio, i agree with je. you need to listen to the whole clip. it was his feeling that there need to be more blocking fouls, but when they went and analyzed the data (ie reviewed the video) it turned out that they were getting the calls wrong by calling too many blocks. i think adams point is we need to get the call correct, not how many blocks or charges are called.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 03:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I see both sides of this -- officials have defaulted to the charge on block/charge plays instead of refereeing the defense. That doesn't mean we need to revert back to the days when some officials would call everything a block, either.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 04:00pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I still don't see what that has to do with the blarge that was posted the other day.
Sorry if my post was confusing, I wasn't saying anything in reference to a blarge. I was commenting based on information John Adams has been sending.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 09:23am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
i think adams point is we need to get the call correct, not how many blocks or charges are called.
What a revolutionary philosophy!!