The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

1.1.1 Here, the non-calling official (2-man) has to notify the coach.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 01:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Had that last summer. I think he was surprised at what happened at twenty seconds.
I can only imagine. I had a similar thing in a varsity game a few years ago. He figured I'd ask and then ask again and then ask again. He was wrong.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
1.1.1 Here, the non-calling official (2-man) has to notify the coach.
This mechanic to me is idiotic. I understand if you expect confrontation you should do it (maybe). But to do it all the time makes no sense. Part of our job is to explain certain calls/non-calls to coaches. You have to be able to communicate with them. Now if you follow the mechanic and have the non-calling official notify the coach, to me it looks like you are going to hide in the corner and let your partner take care of the dirty work.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 11:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

Most In My Little Corner Of Connecticut Handle It This Way ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
I understand if you expect confrontation you should do it (maybe). But to do it all the time makes no sense. Part of our job is to explain certain calls/non-calls to coaches. You have to be able to communicate with them.
From my pregame: Game management: If I call a fifth foul on a player, I’ll tell the coach, unless I think it’s going to be a problem.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This mechanic to me is idiotic. I understand if you expect confrontation you should do it (maybe). But to do it all the time makes no sense. Part of our job is to explain certain calls/non-calls to coaches. You have to be able to communicate with them. Now if you follow the mechanic and have the non-calling official notify the coach, to me it looks like you are going to hide in the corner and let your partner take care of the dirty work.
Didn't say I agree with it, but when the state assignor says this is the mechanic they want used, you need to do as they say. When in Rome...
Old Sun Jan 13, 2013, 06:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I do not agree that it is our job to explain a call we made. It is our job to inform them they have a player that fouled out. It is a courtesy based on their actions that might get me to explain a call. And certainly if a player has fouled out, I am not explaining a whole lot. As stated, by far most times the coach already knows and already has a sub at the table or within seconds of reporting.

Peace