The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

To sub or not to sub???

I call a foul on a player early in the 1st quarter. I realize that it is her 2nd foul, I am a little more slower/deliberate in reporting my foul so the Coach can get a player to substitute. After reporting the foul there is still no movement. So I turn an get into position. NOW I hear him bark out "Sub... sub". I give a peak and the player is just getting off the bench. Now my partner has handed the ball to the thrower-in. I verbalize to the coach "Too late". The throw-in is completed and the horn sounds. I give the stop sign to the potential sub to keep her off the court as the Team A is now advancing the ball up the court. My partner blows the whistle to stop play.
He wants to keep the sub at the table (demonstrates this via hand motions) and proceeds to line up Team A for a throw-in.
Do you NOW allow the sub to enter?
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
I call a foul on a player early in the 1st quarter. I realize that it is her 2nd foul, I am a little more slower/deliberate in reporting my foul so the Coach can get a player to substitute. After reporting the foul there is still no movement. So I turn an get into position. NOW I hear him bark out "Sub... sub". I give a peak and the player is just getting off the bench. Now my partner has handed the ball to the thrower-in. I verbalize to the coach "Too late". The throw-in is completed and the horn sounds. I give the stop sign to the potential sub to keep her off the court as the Team A is now advancing the ball up the court. My partner blows the whistle to stop play.
He wants to keep the sub at the table (demonstrates this via hand motions) and proceeds to line up Team A for a throw-in.
Yes
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 01:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Substitute ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Yes
The ball is dead, the clock is stopped, the substitute is eligible to enter the game (sit a tick, not disqualified, not for shooter, etc.), the substitute is at the table, and the administering official is not about to make the ball live. No rule to keep the substitute at the table. Beckon the substitute into the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 01:51pm.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The ball is dead, the clock is stopped, the substitute is eligible to enter the game (sit a tick, not disqualified, not for shooter, etc.), the substitute is at the table, and the administering official is not about to make the ball live. No rule to keep the substitute at the table. Beckon the substitute into the game.
I thought that's what I said..
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 04:32pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
I thought that's what I said..
But, you were not clear in your response.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 04:36pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
+1 I like the "slower" mechanic!

I think you did the right thing - the sub is too late. But once your partner threw you under the bus, you have to bring her in.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 06:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If your partner didn't want to bring the sub in, he shouldn't have blown his damned whistle.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 08:34pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
+1 I like the "slower" mechanic!

I think you did the right thing - the sub is too late. But once your partner threw you under the bus, you have to bring her in.
Had that happen yesterday too. Handed the ball to player, started five second count. Horn sounds and I disregard it and then my P lets the sub in without blowing a whistle or anything. The varsity officials called him on it in the LR after our game.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If your partner didn't want to bring the sub in, he shouldn't have blown his damned whistle.
I brought in the sub. A short time later a Time-Out was called and discussed that he did not like that I brought in the sub. I told him the same thing you said without using your adjective about his whistle.
We never had a chance to bring up that discussion again.