The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 04:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

University Of Connecticut Marquette Followup ...

It's no secret that I live in a little corner of Connecticut. I was listening to UCONN head coach Kevin Ollie last night as he was interviewed on our 50,000 watt "flamethrower" radio station, the same station that broadcasts all the UCONN mens, and womens, basketball games, as well as its football games. It was a very refreshing interview. He took the high road, and didn't blame the officials for the loss. He said that his kids had several chances to win the game, and didn't take advantage of those opportunities. He gave credit to Marquette, especially the kid who made the three pointer to tie the game in regulation. He admitted that he needed to learn college rules better because he may have been able to talk the officials out of their mistake. He also admitted that he should have called timeout after he went up by three in regulation, and that he probably should have instructed his players to foul a Marquette player for a double bonus, instead of allowing a Marquette player to tie the game with the three pointer.

The Connecticut media, both print, and television, has also taken the high road, saying that although the officials made mistakes, it didn't cost UCONN the game.

On the other hand, I attended a holiday party for our Catholic middle school officials last night. In attendance was a college (womens) official. He sounded just like DevonMoore, claiming that the officials were horrible, that they should be suspended for a week for the "wrong way" mistake, and that they should be suspended for additional month for their subsequent mistakes.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 04:51pm.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 05:08pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
...He took the high road, and didn't blame the officials for the loss. He...On the other hand, I attended a holiday party for our Catholic middle school officials last night. In attendance was a college (womens) official. He sounded just like DevonMoore, claiming that the officials were horrible, that they should be suspended for a week for the "wrong way" mistake, and that they should be suspended for additional month for their subsequent mistakes.
Leads me to two conclusions (and I'm a long time UConn fan)...

-Ollie is a class act. I wish him every success that Calhoun enjoyed there. Here's a guy who was directly affected by the screw up, but understands the big picture.

-No matter what the level, there always seems to be bretheren in this avocation of ours that can't resist throwing stones at others. It makes them look small and classless (just like the originator pf the previous post on this topic).
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Why can't the truth be both?
The officiating errors likely did not deprive UConn of the opportunity to win the contest AND the officials should be held accountable for their errors, especially those pertaining solely to the rules governing the administering the contest, and suspended for whatever period is deemed appropriate by those empowered to make such decisions.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Why can't the truth be both?
The officiating errors likely did not deprive UConn of the opportunity to win the contest AND the officials should be held accountable for their errors, especially those pertaining solely to the rules governing the administering the contest, and suspended for whatever period is deemed appropriate by those empowered to make such decisions.
I agree, and while I think "a week and a month" as billy's compatriot said is too much, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they lost a game or two (and maybe a round in the Big East playoffs).

We won't know unless we notice that they aren't working, and even then it might be just coincidence. Now, if they work all rounds including the finals, ...
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Kevin, you will fit right in with the other 95% of coaches who don't know the rules.

Seriously, I know a couple of guys who worked his games and they all said he was a class act. Far cry from the f-bomb onslaught of the Calhoun days.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 06:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

So Billy met Devon. That's cool.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 09:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And He's An NCAA Division I Basketball Coach ??? For Real ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
I know a couple of guys who worked his (Kevin Ollie) games and they all said he was a class act. Far cry from the f-bomb onslaught of the Calhoun days.
During the interview, Ollie also said that a few officials have reminded him about straying too far out of the coaching box. He said that he'll have to be more careful about that in the future.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 09:44pm.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
That's good stuff right there !!
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 09:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm Just A Sweet Transvestite From Transexual, Transylvania ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnhbua93 View Post
Billy. Do you work in Bd. 8 with the great Charlie Lee? I'm Bd. 10
Sorry, but I can't reply. My board doesn't allow us to post on social media sites using our real names, or affiliations. All I can tell you is that I live in a little corner of Connecticut. I'm also very handsome, I'm quite intelligent, and I'm, by far, the best basketball official on my local board, maybe the best basketball official in Connecticut, maybe the best IAABO official who ever lived. You really don't need to know anything else. If I told you anything more, then I'd have to kill you.

Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 01:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And Balder, Not Balding, But Bald ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
He's a lot shorter than you would guess by reading his letter.