The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 01, 2013, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Ucon MU OT

Last edited by hoopsaddict; Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 05:44pm.
Old Tue Jan 01, 2013, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

I have the exact same question?
Old Tue Jan 01, 2013, 10:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

On what basis did they give MU (Marquette?) the ball?
Old Tue Jan 01, 2013, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA 4-71: Act of Shooting

"A try for field goal is an attempt by a player to score by throwing or tapping the ball into their basket"
Old Tue Jan 01, 2013, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to see video of this if anyone can dig it up. I was watching this game earlier but switched off of it.
Old Tue Jan 01, 2013, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Since there was no goaltend the only means of determining control was the arrow. Which favored Marquette since UConn won the tip, even going the wrong way.
Old Tue Jan 01, 2013, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

But why was the GT cancelled out? I think they screwed the pooch here and went with the "shot at wrong basket so can't have GT" even though the officials set them up going the wrong way....
Old Tue Jan 01, 2013, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmckenna View Post
But why was the GT cancelled out? I think they screwed the pooch here and went with the "shot at wrong basket so can't have GT" even though the officials set them up going the wrong way....
Wrong basket = not a try = no goaltend
Old Tue Jan 01, 2013, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
Wrong basket = not a try = no goaltend
But the officials set them up going the wrong way off the tip! When that happens, you trat it as if they were going the right way and then get them going the right way once it is found out
Old Tue Jan 01, 2013, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmckenna View Post
But the officials set them up going the wrong way off the tip! When that happens, you trat it as if they were going the right way and then get them going the right way once it is found out
Doing so would violate the definition of a "try" as quoted in a previous post. If there was no attemped goaltend and Marquette went the wrong way also and scored then yes you would correct as if they went the proper way. However, the attemped goaltend is the difference here.
Old Tue Jan 01, 2013, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

For any new guys!!

Given the situation as in the UConn/Marquette game where a player goes to the wrong basket. Here is a hypothetical situation that can happen:

A1 attempts a lay-up and is fouled. Upon the whistle and reporting of the foul the officials recognize that A1 attempted the shot at Team B's basket (the wrong basket).

1) How would you administer (shots, foul, etc)
2) Team A is in the bonus
Old Tue Jan 01, 2013, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Given the situation as in the UConn/Marquette game where a player goes to the wrong basket. Here is a hypothetical situation that can happen:

A1 attempts a lay-up and is fouled. Upon the whistle and reporting of the foul the officials recognize that A1 attempted the shot at Team B's basket (the wrong basket).

1) How would you administer (shots, foul, etc)
2) Team A is in the bonus
I haven't seen the video yet, but the OP says they were lined up on the jump going the wrong way. (officials error). This will cause the answers to 1&2 to be a bit different than just A1 getting confused and throwing ball at the wrong basket.
Old Tue Jan 01, 2013, 11:04pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Doing so would violate the definition of a "try" as quoted in a previous post. If there was no attemped goaltend and Marquette went the wrong way also and scored then yes you would correct as if they went the proper way. However, the attemped goaltend is the difference here.
So if the teams went the wrong directions the entire first half, and you don't realize it until the horn sounds to end the period, what would you do?
Old Tue Jan 01, 2013, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triad zebra View Post
I haven't seen the video yet, but the OP says they were lined up on the jump going the wrong way. (officials error). This will cause the answers to 1&2 to be a bit different than just A1 getting confused and throwing ball at the wrong basket.
I beg to differ (and can be wrong). In both cases you have a shot at the wrong basket. Whether by confusion during the game or going the wrong way after the tip. Though most of the time it is after the tip that you will see the situation I presented.
Old Tue Jan 01, 2013, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
So if the teams went the wrong directions the entire first half, and you don't realize it until the horn sounds to end the period, what would you do?
Treat it as if they went the proper direction, which is different than what happened in the game in question.