The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 23, 2012, 12:16pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
I'm pretty sure that if you T a kid (or send him to the bench) in a hs game for not tucking in his jersey in my hs assn, that might be the last time you work any games.

I am sorry to hear that your association consists of a bunch of wimps that are afraid to enforce the rules.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 23, 2012, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I am sorry to hear that your association consists of a bunch of wimps that are afraid to enforce the rules.

MTD, Sr.
All I mean is the kid better have told that he's not tucking in his unifrom after u have asked him to before u send him out. And he better say some T worthy stuff loud enough for all to hear before you T him.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2012, 03:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
All I mean is the kid better have told that he's not tucking in his unifrom after u have asked him to before u send him out. And he better say some T worthy stuff loud enough for all to hear before you T him.
T worthy here is "no" after being directed to tuck. I have only sent one player to the bench for this, and I had no trouble with him the rest of that or the next game.

I will add, though, that if I decide to draw this line, it's not going to be the first time I've dealt with that kid that game, and again, the coach will be informed of the ramifications of continued beligerence from his player. But once the line is drawn, you have to have some spine.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2012, 05:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Sounds to me that you worry way too much about what others are going to think about you handling what needs to be handled.

If a kid is instructed to do something and refuses to do it, that alone is enough to justify a technical foul by rule. Whether that's the way you want to handle it is up to you, of course, but it's not something I'd lose sleep over.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 10:03am
Huck Finn

I didn't read every post closely, but I have a question for those that aren't going to give the kid a T. Actually two questions.

1. What rule are you using to clear the lane when the kid shoots? Sorry if I am not reading this correctly (I'm tired right now), but I think I am understanding this correctly.
2. What would you do if the kid finished shooting, tucked in his shirt and both the player and coach made a huge fuss saying he/she shouldn't come out of the game? It could eventually result in a T.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I didn't read every post closely, but I have a question for those that aren't going to give the kid a T. Actually two questions.

1. What rule are you using to clear the lane when the kid shoots? Sorry if I am not reading this correctly (I'm tired right now), but I think I am understanding this correctly.
2. What would you do if the kid finished shooting, tucked in his shirt and both the player and coach made a huge fuss saying he/she shouldn't come out of the game? It could eventually result in a T.
1. 3.3.5 Situation A tells you to clear the lane.
2. Too late...explain to coach why he's coming out (his player didn't listen the first time), tell the coach he has 20 seconds and go from there.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 10:14am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
1. 3.3.5 Situation A tells you to clear the lane.
2. Too late...explain to coach why he's coming out (his player didn't listen the first time), tell the coach he has 20 seconds and go from there.
Can you copy/paste the case play? I'm in a secret location without books...really...kind of...

As far as your answer to my second question, what are you going to do if the coach doesn't have a sub after 20 seconds and what conversation - if any - are you going to entertain during the 20 seconds?
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Can you copy/paste the case play? I'm in a secret location without books...really...kind of...

As far as your answer to my second question, what are you going to do if the coach doesn't have a sub after 20 seconds and what conversation - if any - are you going to entertain during the 20 seconds?
Someone has already posted the case book play earlier in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And a player who is due FTs with uniform sendoff is to shoot the FTs with the lane cleared and will then be sent out after the last FT. The ONLY times someone else shoots the FTs is when the shooter is injured or DQd.

3.3.5 SITUATION A: B1 fouls A1. Just before A1 goes to the line for a one-andone, the official observes: (a) A1 pull the shirt out of his/her pants; or (b) A1’s pants being worn below the hips. RULING: In both (a) and (b), A1 will be directed to put the shirt in the pants or pull up the pants, and must leave the game immediately following his/her last free throw(s). The lane is cleared for the free throw and Team B is awarded the ball for a throw-in, whether or not the last free throw is successful. COMMENT: A charged time-out by Team A does not alter the requirement for A1 to leave the game

And I would do what I'd regularly do if a coach doesn't have a replacement after 20 seconds. If he wants to push it and doesn't have a sub ready, then he's going to get a T. I'm not going to entertain anything during the 20 seconds. I'll give him an explanation BEFORE I start the 20 but he's not using that 20 to complain to me.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.