The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Video Available to Officials

Anybody have an association, state or other that provides video for officials to use in their own evaluation. I know several conferences, teams are starting to use products like Hudl that allow players, coaches, and even other teams to exchange video.

The concerns I have heard from coaches is that they don't want officials to "accidentally" share the video with opposing coaches. However, I also know this has been very useful for the purposes of training and evaluating.

Thoughts?
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 02:35pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
The concerns I have heard from coaches is that they don't want officials to "accidentally" share the video with opposing coaches. However, I also know this has been very useful for the purposes of training and evaluating.

Thoughts?
Coaches are afraid of officials sharing video with opposing teams? Bwahahahahaa. Paranoid much?
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 02:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Game videos are primarily the property of the participating teams. No one other than them would provide any video other than if it is on TV or some internet feed.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Anybody have an association, state or other that provides video for officials to use in their own evaluation. I know several conferences, teams are starting to use products like Hudl that allow players, coaches, and even other teams to exchange video.

Thoughts?
Home coaches sent my fb crew their HUDL recruiting film from each one our games this year. I wish things were set up the same for bkball but it's such a different pre-game dynamic in hoops - just doesn't really lend to including an e-mail addy on cards/asking for game film to be sent the next day. Would be cool, though...
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Game videos are primarily the property of the participating teams. No one other than them would provide any video other than if it is on TV or some internet feed.

Peace
What about a spectator?
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 03:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
What about a spectator?
I am not going to talk to spectators about getting video for any game. I am either going to get it from the school or I will download it off a website. I guess I could have someone tape the game for me, but that is something I have to ask others to provide for me to review. I was answering your question, not trying to relate to every possible situation.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 04:16pm
This IS My Social Life

Next Day Game Video

I shoot video of crews on my open nights with association video camera. Voice-over commentary regarding positioning and mechanics, etc. Upload it to Google Drive overnight and they get it the next morning for personal review.
Works well now that we learned what kinda camera to get and what kinda format to shoot it in. PM me if you have any questions. Happy to share, after two years of figuring things out.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

I think I misunderstood your 1st post - I read that to mean that you did not feel anyone else could or should have access to the videotape, only those teams.

If I am reading your last post, you are stating that are in favor of getting it from the coaches. I agree with this - just wondering if anyone has more formalized systems.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 04:25pm
Never Stop Learning

Our association has invested in video equipment We video our tournament games and burn a disc for each official of the game and keep a master for the association library. Video is an invaluable tool for self evaluation. We feel this is better then receiving video from teams as we are filming the officiating and not the game play.

Last edited by Ed Maeder; Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 04:27pm.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 04:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I think I misunderstood your 1st post - I read that to mean that you did not feel anyone else could or should have access to the videotape, only those teams.

If I am reading your last post, you are stating that are in favor of getting it from the coaches. I agree with this - just wondering if anyone has more formalized systems.
If you are referencing my post then not sure what you were asking for. No there is not formalized system or situation where any official's association has any special access. If we want the tape we get them from the schools directly or tape the game ourselves for the most part. It is not about being in favor of something, it is about what the reality of the situation is or how things are handled. We ask the coach or AD and they send it to us and that is really all we can do if there is no online system to exchange video tape of games.

Peace