The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

I was able to pull it off with my home pc. I have real player on my home pc and when I played the video from home I was given the option to download the video using the Real Player Downloader!
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

9/10 I missed #7 (Kentucky/Kansas). The amount of forward movement by the defender is minor compared to the forward movement of the offensive player. I see the block on third watch, but live that would be a tough one to call.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:02pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

9 / 10.

Missed play 10. I hummed and hawed (sp?) at 10 as there is justification for the PC, imho.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:03pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
9/10 I missed #7 (Kentucky/Kansas). The amount of forward movement by the defender is minor compared to the forward movement of the offensive player. I see the block on third watch, but live that would be a tough one to call.
7 I can see going either way. I wrote down both actually because it's so close to call.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

8/10. I will say that refereeing the defense helped in all of these (well, in 8 of them anyway!) and is typically what I don't do when watching a game on TV (i.e., I'm more of a fan, not an official when just watching). Definitely a good exercise.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If only one is moving toward the other, then that player is responsible for the contact. But, if both are moving toward each other at any speed, then the defender is responsible for the contact. It doesn't matter how much the defender is moving...if they are moving towards the opponent, they are not legal.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

I was 9/10.
#8 was the hardest for me, I changed my mind and got it right, missed #7 after I watched a 2nd time, I could see where I was wrong, but at game speed...

We need more of these videos for training.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If only one is moving toward the other, then that player is responsible for the contact. But, if both are moving toward each other at any speed, then the defender is responsible for the contact. It doesn't matter how much the defender is moving...if they are moving towards the opponent, they are not legal.
Thanks for pointing this out. I understand, I was just explaining that in this particular case the fact that the offensive player seems to be responsible for 95% of the contact would make it difficult to call that a block live. Great excercise though.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for pointing this out. I understand, I was just explaining that in this particular case the fact that the offensive player seems to be responsible for 95% of the contact would make it difficult to call that a block live. Great excercise though.
This is a perfect example of refereeing the defense. When doing so, an official can see the defender's movement (or lack thereof). If the official does that, then that they will know everything they need to know when/if there is a collision. The offensive player's movement is legal or not solely based on what the defender is doing.