The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

fc/bc

Posting this as a favor for another official in our area.

Two situations listed...ruling in each situation and differnce between the two please.

sit 1
A1 spot throw in from the FC area. Throws the ball in and it is tipped by B1 in the front court, then tipped by A2 in the front court causing the ball to go to the backcourt where A2 then goes and retrieves the ball.

A1 spot throw in from the same FC area. Throws the ball in and it is tipped by B1 in the front court then A2 jumps from front court controls the ball and lands in the back court.

thanks in advance BBR I am counting on you here
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 01:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Why didn't you help your buddy out?

The 2nd play is a casebook play I believe.

The first one has been discussed so much any forum member should know the answer to that one just based off the conversations.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 01:27pm.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

#1. Legal

#2. Backcourt Violation.

Reasons...

#1. No team control while the ball had frontcourt status. Thus, no backcourt violation.

Despite the confusion created by the NFHS, the redux is there is effectively/essentially no team control on a throwin. However, a foul that occurs during a throwin is considered a team control foul. This is not unlike how a foul by an airborne shooter who has released the try is still a player control foul even though there is no player control.

#2. Team control was established by A2 when A2 caught the ball while haivng frontcout status (A2 jumped from A's frontcount). The exception on the throwin ended when B1 tipped the ball.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

thanks

BNR thanks for the help........
I am helping my buddy out by posting here, as he wants to hear other opinions. Yes I know the answer and the differences, but didn't want to taint the water by posting them in my post.

Cameron thanks for the response...this part of the crux of our discussion back here in ole wyo.....what exception are you talking about

However the key isn't that team control is established by what A2 does in situation two...it is that player control is established and his location when it is established???
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews View Post
BNR thanks for the help........
I am helping my buddy out by posting here, as he wants to hear other opinions. Yes I know the answer and the differences, but didn't want to taint the water by posting them in my post.

Cameron thanks for the response...this part of the crux of our discussion back here in ole wyo.....what exception are you talking about

However the key isn't that team control is established by what A2 does in situation two...it is that player control is established and his location when it is established???
No, it is his location and team control that is required by the rule to have a backcourt violation. It is just coincidental that player control also starts team control if it doesn't already exist.

Forget the current wording of the backcourt rule...go back 2-3 years and use that wording for team control issues as it relates to anything except fouls.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 03:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fire Up The Flux Capacitor ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Go back 2-3 years and use that wording for team control issues as it relates to anything except fouls.
Have fun with this advice rookies.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 05:14pm.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews View Post
of the crux of our discussion back here in ole wyo.....what exception are you talking about
There are three exceptions to the BC rules (that is, plays that would otherwise be a violation are not a violation in these cases):

1) Throw in
2) Jump ball
3) Defensive player.

The first two apply only to the first person to touch the ball.

So in your play, B2 tipped the ball, then A2 grabbbed it in the air (from the FC) and landed in the BC. The exception does not apply -- violation.

If B2 had not tipped the ball, then the exception would apply and it would be a legal play.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

thanks Bob

What you are saying is the exception involves the jumping from front to back court correct? in either of those three situations you listed, IE jump ball throwin and defensive player...
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 05:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Correct. So a player jumping back to front does not get the exception.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 09:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Correct. So a player jumping back to front does not get the exception.
Why would that player need an exception?