The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

first game(s)

Registered in mid-Decemeber, first games today. Local youth rec league.

Three games...3rd grade boys, and two 3rd/4th grade girls today. 8:00 minute quarters, running clock. Halftimes almost non-existant (2 minutes). Boys game was close (but no OT), girls games lopsided.

I am already asking myself if I am cut out for this. I learned it is a lot easier to read the rulebook than to put it all into practice.

I will say the coaches were all very cordial and understanding.

Was supposed to have a 10 year veteran partner, but stuff happens. Ended up starting first game solo. So obviously no pre-game. Replacement partner arrives about a minute into the first game. (he had worked multiple games in the same league at a different site immediately before arriving) Partner has been registered less time than me, but had done a few games already. He carried me.

I found myself getting in a hurry adminstering throw-ins (esp. to the team that was behind). I was way too timid on blowing the whistle. Had a lot of jump balls the probably should have been fouls. Missed double dribbles that my partner called, but I clearly should have been in position for. I can think of many more things I did wrong, but then this post would be several pages long.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

At the level you're working, however much it would help/be nice, don't anticipate a pregame. Unfortunately, your partner will likely walk into the gym and onto the court and just assume you know what's up.

Absolutely let everyone you're working with know that you're new and are all ears for any pointers. Once they're given the green light to tell you what they're seeing from you, the tips and help will come fast and furious. That will go a long way.

Don't get so discouraged. It was 1 day! Everyone has horror stories. Way too soon to say you're not cut out for it.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

1. Rome wasn't built in a day. Be patient. You can't expect to feel comfortable at anything the first time out.
2. You have already shown that you learned some things today (i.e., slow down, you will be more active with the whistle next time, etc.) so take what you saw and work on improvement tomorrow...Keep on learning!

The day you think you know everything is the day you need to quit. After 20+ years of HS ball, I continue learning every night, and get frustrated with myself for not being perfect....but I relish learning new things even after all this time.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:48am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzebra View Post
I am already asking myself if I am cut out for this. I learned it is a lot easier to read the rulebook than to put it all into practice.
I found myself getting in a hurry administering throw-ins (esp. to the team that was behind).
Way to go pzebra! You are right -- converting your knowledge of the rulebook to practical knowledge on the court will take time. As someone else already mentioned, have an open mind. Listen to advice you receive, but take it with a grain of salt. Check the rulebook to make sure you are getting accurate advice, or ask us about situations here.

About going to fast: remember, the game does not restart without you. Take your time, think things through in your mind, then execute.

Don't react; respond.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

You are a changed person. From now on when you go to games or watch on TV you will be watching the officials. Watch as many as you can and then watch some more. Check out videos such as those on the NFHS website. Talk to officials and ask them to watch you and give pointers. Is there someone in your local association that can help you? Ask if you can go with varsity officials to a game and sit in on the pre-game, half-time and post-game discussions. Check out the signals that are used by experienced officials. Signals are a key component to selling your calls and looking professional. Absorb as much as you can. Have fun with officiating. It's a great hobby.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Sorry, but I had to laugh as I read your description. Maybe because I remember what it was like the first time I stepped on the court (17 years old, college intramural game).

You've already learned the most valuable lesson = slow down. When you blow your whistle everyone has to stop what they're doing so there's no need to be in a hurry at that point. Even if it's a running time game, better to take a few extra seconds to process what you need to do.

Right now just concern yourself with blowing the whistle when you should. All the other stuff - especially mechanics - will come along with time.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 12:50pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Registered in mid-Decemeber, first games today. Local youth rec league.

Three games...3rd grade boys, and two 3rd/4th grade girls today. 8:00 minute quarters, running clock. Halftimes almost non-existant (2 minutes). Boys game was close (but no OT), girls games lopsided.

I will say the coaches were all very cordial and understanding.

Was supposed to have a 10 year veteran partner, but stuff happens. Ended up starting first game solo. So obviously no pre-game. Replacement partner arrives about a minute into the first game. (he had worked multiple games in the same league at a different site immediately before arriving) Partner has been registered less time than me, but had done a few games already. He carried me.

I found myself getting in a hurry adminstering throw-ins (esp. to the team that was behind). I was way too timid on blowing the whistle. Had a lot of jump balls the probably should have been fouls. Missed double dribbles that my partner called, but I clearly should have been in position for. I can think of many more things I did wrong, but then this post would be several pages long.
Welcome to the world of officiating. I, too, am in my first year.

In my first game (JV Girls), my partner arrived 15 minutes before the game and aside from introducing himself, didn't do anything before the game.

I ended up ball watching so much in the first half, I called a held ball ... being tied up by two players from the same team.

Once my partner and I talked at halftime, that broke the ice enough for me to feel better out on the floor.

Every game since, I try to recall areas I could improve on from previous games and try to improve in the next game. I have a game this week and I'm going to try to do a better job with block/charge calls (or no calls as appropriate).

Although one of our trainers commented that we should keep dead-ball time to a minimum, it's still important not to rush calls and such.

Hang in there, it does get better with experience and dedication to learning and improving.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Jan 27, 2013, 07:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Great Play ??? What Great Play ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
You are a changed person. From now on when you go to games or watch on TV you will be watching the officials.
This has ruined the game of basketball for me as a spectator. After I eventually hang up my black belt, will I be able to watch the players again, or is this condition permanent?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 07:16am.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This has ruined the game of basketball for me as a spectator. After I eventually hang up my black belt, will I be able to watch the players again, or is this condition permanent?
Amen Billy!! I was watching a game this weekend with my son..several times he said something like "was that a travel" and all I could say was "not sure son but the ref that called it was reaching into his partner's area..." I hardly watch much of the game anymore. It is a sickness!
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 12:36pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
Although one of our trainers commented that we should keep dead-ball time to a minimum, it's still important not to rush calls and such.
Keeping "dead-ball time to a minimum" to me means - Keep time outs to 30/60 seconds and get the players in and out of their huddles, let's start the game/half on time, let's have players at the table ready to report (an not have a procession line), line up the players quickly and efficiently for FT's, inbound the ball efficiently after fouls and violations, etc.

Good game management tools to keep the game moving.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was way too timid on blowing the whistle. Had a lot of jump balls the probably should have been fouls. Missed double dribbles that my partner called, but I clearly should have been in position for.
My son's first game was 2 weeks ago. He was working with me. And he had EXACTLY these three issues. Don't sweat it. With the little ones, you're going to have those scrums where you can't see foul/jump/neither as well as you'd like. You're going to have DD's where they simply put two hands on the ball while dribbling (as opposed to the more normal DD's you see at higher levels) - just be ready for them.

And as silly as it sounds, practice blowing your whistle. A light whistle can cause injuries as some people stop and others don't. Keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that you're blowing the whistle for a reason. Be definitive, not timid or wishywashy.

You're fine. Don't worry that you're not cut out for it. First games are tough, and even tougher when they start as shaky as your first one did, minus a partner adn all. I'm sure you're 3rd week official who carried you felt exactly the same in his first game, and I'm sure you'll be ready to carry a newbie after a couple of weeks of games.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jan 28, 2013, 01:55pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
And as silly as it sounds, practice blowing your whistle. A light whistle can cause injuries as some people stop and others don't. Keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that you're blowing the whistle for a reason. Be definitive, not timid or wishywashy.
+1

I've worked with 2 "brand new" guys this year, and both times the first improvement suggestion I had for them was to have a strong whistle.
Think about it this way: when you blow the whistle, you're basically telling everyone in the gym "Stop what you're doing, I've got something important to tell you". So you want to make sure that EVERYBODY in the gym knows that you're blowing your whistle.