The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:29pm
Ok is the new good

DA First One is in Da Books

First Varsity Game (Girls) is in the books and very competive close game down to the wire! A few highlights:

1) Pre-game coaches meeting, Coach for A sez B plays hard close defense and to watch for it.

2) On a Player Control foul Coach B yells we are in the bonus we should be shooting..Need I say more about rules knowledge of da coach

3) Possible Concussion situation, girl hits the deck and bangs head on floor and coach sez girl has had a history of concussion..girl out remainder of game..BTW..I did make the foul call on player who bumped the girl.

4) Put .4 seconds back on the clock at end of game..partner called a foul and was lucky enough to look at clock right away and saw it continue to run

Final Score was 38-36...
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

You Da MAN!
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 05:05am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Congrats! They get easier from here on out......
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
1) Pre-game coaches meeting, Coach for A sez B plays hard close defense and to watch for it.
...and I say, with a slight smile, "Dang Coach...you're already working us, ey?"

or "...funny, that's what the other Coach said about your players."

Quote:
2) On a Player Control foul Coach B yells we are in the bonus we should be shooting..Need I say more about rules knowledge of da coach
...and I calmly walk over to the "yelling" Coach and ask, "Would you like to bet a soda on that?"

Quote:
3) Possible Concussion situation, girl hits the deck and bangs head on floor and coach sez girl has had a history of concussion..girl out remainder of game..BTW..I did make the foul call on player who bumped the girl.
...nice job!

Quote:
4) Put .4 seconds back on the clock at end of game..partner called a foul and was lucky enough to look at clock right away and saw it continue to run
...great job! You make your own luck though...in a tight game with not much time left, or any game for that matter...someone on the crew (usually opposite table C or T) should always take a quick look at the clock on a whistle.

Just a note:

Some of these responses and/or comments to Coaches are probably best left for the official that has some age, experience, credability, good rapport, etc.

Newer officials just work hard and show everybody (including yourself) that you deserve to be there.
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 06:10am.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 06:21am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Some of these responses and/or comments to Coaches are probably best left for the official that has some age, experience, credibility, good rapport, etc.
....or are said by Mark Padgett from his recovery room!

Be well, Mark!
Old Thu Dec 13, 2012, 09:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
....or are said by Mark Padgett from his recovery room!

Be well, Mark!
Thanks. I appreciate that.

BTW - in the situation above, don't ask the coach if he wants to bet a soda on a rule interp. Tell him what I tell coaches: "Coach, I've got a rule book in my bag. Let's look it up and if you're right, I'll give you $20. But if I'm right, you have to go out into the parking lot and wash my car. OK?"

I've never had one take me up on that.