The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Backcourt question

I was reading the rule book, and just want to make sure I am understanding correctly.

The rule book states that a player can jump from his/her front court, catch the ball while in the air, and land in their backcourt without committing a backcourt violation during a jump ball, throw-in, or while on defense.

So, if, on a throw-in by Team A, even if the ball is tipped by either team, Team B can jump from their front court, catch the ball in the air, and land in their backcourt with no violation?

Thanks!
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 09:07pm
Medium Kahuna

Correct. The throw in exception would no longer apply after a tip, but the defense exception would.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

I think that's incorrect...NFHS told us last year that we judge all backcourt plays as before and this was a backcourt violation before team control was added to the throw-in.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Dec 01, 2012, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9819 View Post
I was reading the rule book, and just want to make sure I am understanding correctly.

The rule book states that a player can jump from his/her front court, catch the ball while in the air, and land in their backcourt without committing a backcourt violation during a jump ball, throw-in, or while on defense.

So, if, on a throw-in by Team A, even if the ball is tipped by either team, Team B can jump from their front court, catch the ball in the air, and land in their backcourt with no violation?

Thanks!
Check out 9-9-3 and Case Book 9.9.1 - "The exception granted during a throw-in ends when the throw-in ends and is only for the player making the initial touch on the ball."
Old Sat Dec 01, 2012, 08:03am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Check out 9-9-3 and Case Book 9.9.1 - "The exception granted during a throw-in ends when the throw-in ends and is only for the player making the initial touch on the ball."
THAT exception ends. But the exception for the defense remains in effect.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2012, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
THAT exception ends. But the exception for the defense remains in effect.
Again, I don't think this is true as I believe this was a backcourt violation before team control was added to the throw-in and that we're suppose to judge backcourt plays as we always have before.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sat Dec 01, 2012, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

2007-2008 Basketball Interpretations:

SITUATION 7: Team A is making a throw-in near the division line in the team's backcourt (Team B's frontcourt). A1's throw-in is deflected by B1, who is applying direct pressure on A1. B2 jumps from his/her frontcourt, catches the ball in the air and lands in the backcourt. RULING: Backcourt violation on Team B. The throw-in ends with B1's deflection (legal touch). When B2 gains possession/ control in the air, he/she has frontcourt status. A backcourt violation has occurred when B2 lands in backcourt. (9-9-1; 9-9-3)

As far as I know that ruling hasn't changed, and since NFHS told us last year that we called backcourt plays as we have before even w/o team control added to the throw-in, I think the OP's play is technically a backcourt violation.

Old Sat Dec 01, 2012, 12:16pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post

SITUATION 7: Team A is making a throw-in near the division line in the team's backcourt (Team B's frontcourt). A1's throw-in is deflected by B1, who is applying direct pressure on A1. B2 jumps from his/her frontcourt, catches the ball in the air and lands in the backcourt. RULING: Backcourt violation on Team B. The throw-in ends with B1's deflection (legal touch). When B2 gains possession/ control in the air, he/she has frontcourt status. A backcourt violation has occurred when B2 lands in backcourt. (9-9-1; 9-9-3)

As far as I know that ruling hasn't changed, and since NFHS told us last year that we called backcourt plays as we have before even w/o team control added to the throw-in, I think the OP's play is technically a backcourt violation.
It seems that the case play and rule as written are contradictory on this scenario. Isn't B still on defense in this play? Even thought the throw in has ended because of B1's tip, B is still on defense as A still is in team control. B2 secures the ball in the air and lands in the backcourt.
Article 3 states "During a jump ball, throw-in or while ON DEFENSE, a player MAY JUMP HIS/HER FRONTCOURT, SECURE CONTROL OF THE BALL WITH WITH BOTH FEET OFF THE FLOOR AND RETURN TO THE WITH ONE OR BOTH FEET IN THE BACKCOURT. the player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt.

What am I missing?
Old Sat Dec 01, 2012, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Don't believe NFHS considers anyone on offense and defense during a throw-in.

Old Sat Dec 01, 2012, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
It seems that the case play and rule as written are contradictory on this scenario. Isn't B still on defense in this play? Even thought the throw in has ended because of B1's tip, B is still on defense as A still is in team control. B2 secures the ball in the air and lands in the backcourt.
Article 3 states "During a jump ball, throw-in or while ON DEFENSE, a player MAY JUMP HIS/HER FRONTCOURT, SECURE CONTROL OF THE BALL WITH WITH BOTH FEET OFF THE FLOOR AND RETURN TO THE WITH ONE OR BOTH FEET IN THE BACKCOURT. the player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt.

What am I missing?
No.

That element is referring to REAL team control. The whole definition of team control has been really confused by the NFHS.

Through the various interpretations and explanations that have been given by the NFHS, you can basically consider the defined "TEAM CONTROL" and everything that depends on team control to begin when a player holds or dribbles the ball in bounds (when player control begins). Separately, you can consider any foul by the throwing team during a throwin as a team control foul even though there is not actually "TEAM CONTROL".

What they're really after is two levels of team control....one that begins on the throwin and affects only fouls and another that begins when a player catches/dribbles the ball inbounds.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2012, 11:05pm
C'mon man!!

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
No.

That element is referring to REAL team control. The whole definition of team control has been really confused by the NFHS.

Through the various interpretations and explanations that have been given by the NFHS, you can basically consider the defined "TEAM CONTROL" and everything that depends on team control to begin when a player holds or dribbles the ball in bounds (when player control begins). Separately, you can consider any foul by the throwing team during a throwin as a team control foul even though there is not actually "TEAM CONTROL".

What they're really after is two levels of team control....one that begins on the throwin and affects only fouls and another that begins when a player catches/dribbles the ball inbounds.
Ok. Makes sense. Hope I remember all of it when it happens in a game.
Old Sun Dec 02, 2012, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Until the NFHS defines offense and defense, this will always be an issue.

In spite of this interp, I agree with maven. I truly don't see why B1 wouldn't be considered a defender in this situation, which means that there's an exception and no violation has occurred, throw-in or not.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 02, 2012, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Until the NFHS defines offense and defense, this will always be an issue.

In spite of this interp, I agree with maven. I truly don't see why B1 wouldn't be considered a defender in this situation, which means that there's an exception and no violation has occurred, throw-in or not.
The interpretation makes no sense to me. Quite frankly, to me, it's an idiotic interpretation, especially in light of adding team control to the throw-in. To everyone who knows the game of basketball, the throw-in team is the offense and the other team is the defense. I'd also venture a guess that this play gets passed on more than it would get called.

Old Sun Dec 02, 2012, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The interpretation makes no sense to me. Quite frankly, to me, it's an idiotic interpretation, especially in light of adding team control to the throw-in. To everyone who knows the game of basketball, the throw-in team is the offense and the other team is the defense. I'd also venture a guess that this play gets passed on more than it would get called.
I know one who's going to pass on it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 02, 2012, 09:18am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bktballref View Post
i know one who's going to pass on it.
+1