The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

PC foul?

A colleague of mine called my attention to this video, so what are the thoughts of those here?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...1473--nba.html
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Also, one of our own is working this game.

And I have a foul on the defense.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 10:11pm.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:12pm
M.A.S.H.

I guess I'm missing the clip. I just keep getting highlights and I don't see a crash.

Edit: If it's the one above by APG, I have a foul on the defender.

Last edited by tjones1; Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 10:16pm.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
And I have a foul on the defense.
Thanks for embedding the video.

Why do you judge that to be a foul by the defender? Please give your rationale.

What if the action were exactly the same, but we gave the ball to the other player? Would that change your opinion?
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Defensive player coming from behind is responsible for the contact.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Thanks for embedding the video.

Why do you judge that to be a foul by the defender? Please give your rationale.

What if the action were exactly the same, but we gave the ball to the other player? Would that change your opinion?
Defensive player does not have legal guarding position. Defensive player is moving toward his opponent at the time of contact. Yes the offensive player may have leaned a little bit, but IMO there would have been contact by the defensive player anyhow and the offensive player does not do anything overt in creating the contact.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Defensive player coming from behind is responsible for the contact.
Preface: I wish to analyze this play using NFHS rules. I don't care what the ruling is in an NBA game.

Is the defender really coming from behind or the side? Secondly, isn't that rule for players moving in the same path and direction?

Quote:
Defensive player does not have legal guarding position. Defensive player is moving toward his opponent at the time of contact. Yes the offensive player may have leaned a little bit, but IMO there would have been contact by the defensive player anyhow and the offensive player does not do anything overt in creating the contact.
Is LGP needed for this play? We have an airborne player and an opponent. I guess that we can discuss verticality, but it doesn't appear to me that either player remained in his vertical plane.

Both of you please answer this question.
Quote:
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

If an offensive player and defensive player are moving toward each other, then the greater responsibility for the contact is going to be on the defender. I'm not sure what your trying to ask in your hypothetical. Are you asking us to judge the play as if the shooter was in the GSW's defender position and the defender was in Love's position and their actions were the exact same?

Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If an offensive player and defensive player are moving toward each other, then the greater responsibility for the contact is going to be on the defender.
Interesting thought. I'm not sure that 4-23-3c applies to an airborne player. Which has more weight in a situation such as this--4-23-3c or 4-23-1.

Quote:
I'm not sure what your trying to ask in your hypothetical. Are you asking us to judge the play as if the shooter was in the GSW's defender position and the defender was in Love's position and their actions were the exact same?
Yep, that is what I am asking you to consider. I'm trying to discover if people are giving additional rights to the player with the ball. It seems to me that in the case of a collision such as this, it shouldn't matter which player, if either, has the ball. The foul should be based upon the actions of the players and the presence of the ball isn't relevant.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 11:22pm.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 11:34pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
The foul should be based upon the actions of the players and the presence of the ball isn't relevant.
I see this point.

From what I see, the defender is responsible for contact for being a bit reckless, and the shooter is clearly responsible for contact from his leaning in (which was more than "a little").

Here's a novel idea: double foul, before the release. Get 'em both, and give blue the ball back on the sideline.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 11:34pm
NFHS Official

Player Control. The defense would have avoided the contact had the shooter gone straight up. He jumped into the defensive player. Offense initiated all the contact.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 11:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Shooting foul all the way. Defender not in LGP and the movement by the shooter did nothing to cause contact IMO.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 11:47pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Shooting foul all the way. Defender not in LGP and the movement by the shooter did nothing to cause contact IMO.

Peace
The movement by the shooter caused all the contact.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Shooting foul on the defense.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2012, 11:56pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
The movement by the shooter caused all the contact.
Nothing the defender did caused any contact? If I were the offensive coach, I don't think I'd accept that explanation.