The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Where is the POI w/ simultaneous fouls and Free throws

A1 is fouled while attempting a three point try. Simultaneously with A1's try, A2 and B2 foul each other while positioning for a rebound. My partner calls the shooting foul (from the T) and I called the double foul (from the L). We enforced all three fouls.

We knew we were shooting free throws because of the try (we determined it occurred first). We cleared the lane and shot 3 free throws. We reasoned that because there was a try (or very shortly thereafter) when the double foul occurred, there was no team possession. Thus, we reasoned the POI would be determined by the possession arrow.

Two questions. First, (philosophically) given the fact that there was a try/foul (the ball went dead) could I have abandonded the double foul given the fact that both were simply common fouls that did not involve non-basketball plays? The ball was technically dead and the contact was not intentional or flagrant.

Second. Did we administer the POI correctly?

In hindsight (and after reading) I feel that the POI should have been the free throws and we should have lined up the players and just shot free throws.

Any thoughts.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 03:06pm
(Something hilarious)

And then 4-36-2-b. Your hindsight feeling was correct.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 03:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The ball was not dead until the try was over.
If you felt a DF was warranted, that's a great time to have one.

Your hindsight was correct.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff.mayfield View Post
A1 is fouled while attempting a three point try. Simultaneously with A1's try, A2 and B2 foul each other while positioning for a rebound. My partner calls the shooting foul (from the T) and I called the double foul (from the L). We enforced all three fouls.

We knew we were shooting free throws because of the try (we determined it occurred first). We cleared the lane and shot 3 free throws. We reasoned that because there was a try (or very shortly thereafter) when the double foul occurred, there was no team possession. Thus, we reasoned the POI would be determined by the possession arrow.

Two questions. First, (philosophically) given the fact that there was a try/foul (the ball went dead) could I have abandonded the double foul given the fact that both were simply common fouls that did not involve non-basketball plays? The ball was technically dead and the contact was not intentional or flagrant.

Second. Did we administer the POI correctly?

In hindsight (and after reading) I feel that the POI should have been the free throws and we should have lined up the players and just shot free throws.

Any thoughts.

There was a rule change about two years ago which covered simultaneous fouls that could have helped your thinking process for your play even though they aren't the same.

The rule clarification stated that if there were simultaneous fouls and one of them was a double foul, then the fouls were all charged and reported and the game was resumed by enforcing the penalty for the single foul.

So even has there not been a try, but if Team A is in the bonus, then you would have resumed with the FTs for A1.