The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Picking up Games

Once again, first year ref here. It looks like I'll have the opportunity to ref some Freshman/JV games this year, but probably not a whole lot. I'm looking for other ideas for how to build experience. I'm familiar with some options, like Middle School, YMCA, etc, but what else is out there, and how do you get scheduled for those other games?
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:57am
Archaic Power Monger

Kids rec league like YMCA, church leagues, the like. I'm not sure I'd recommend adult men's leagues for a new official but those are an option also.

Without knowing where you are or what the layout is like there, I'd say your best bet is to network with current officials to find out what leagues are out there and how they are assigned.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjetz View Post
Once again, first year ref here. It looks like I'll have the opportunity to ref some Freshman/JV games this year, but probably not a whole lot. I'm looking for other ideas for how to build experience. I'm familiar with some options, like Middle School, YMCA, etc, but what else is out there, and how do you get scheduled for those other games?
When I started three years ago, I researched all of the local youth rec leagues, CYO, all of the independent basketball courts/gyms, contacted the local Y, and e-mailed and direct mailed all of the assignors. I did not have great success until I got in contact with an assignor who was in charge of a summer youth league. Once I worked the summer season for him, he assigned me middle school games and that gave me the required experience for other assignors.

Be careful of wreck leagues. It's easy to fall into bad habits that carry over into scholastic contests and you never know who is in the stands.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:37am
Back from the DL

Years ago, our local Y offer free memberships for X amount of games. As stated earlier, though, these places can be a bastion for bad habits that can contradict with your association's teachings, so be careful with what you "learn" there. You probably will have to adapt to a far less professional environment, but don't take those adaptations with you into your association.

On the up side, I've never had any issues with coaches or players at these Y games. They take it all in stride. ("What was the call? Intentional? Oh, okay.") Everyone else, including partners, is a different story. The only time I've ever been cursed out by a parent to my face was after a volunteer Y-league game.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Check with area municipality/county Parks and Rec depts. They have leagues, they need officials. If they don't schedule their own, they use an assignor. That assignor will also assign other leagues you may want to work, as well. Will probably set you up on RefPay too.

On a personal note - I cut my teeth on men's wreck league ball. On the upside, it's usually running clock action so you can blow the whistle a lot to work on stuff.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 05:12pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjetz View Post
You just have to figure out what's available and who the point person is. I'm in a similar situation as a new official myself. It looks like I might be getting some sub-varsity games and possibly some CYO games; I just don't know how much or often yet. My neighbor also runs a series of year-round youth basketball leagues, so I may be contacting him this weekend to see if he needs any more officials there.

Similarly, in another sport, a friend of mine officiates in a local rec league and has said if I'm interested in calling games there, he might be able to pass my name along for consideration.

I have to agree with those who already responded that networking is going to be key.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Fri Nov 16, 2012 at 05:15pm.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 05:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Research what local kid leagues there are, call their points of contact and ask who assigns their officials. You may need to tell them why you need the information.

Alternatively, ask your JV assignor who to contact to get some of these games.