The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 02, 2012, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Rules Knowledge

Hello All,

When you all are citing to NFHS rules on the forum, is it being done form memory or looking them up? I ask because I have been officiating somewhat high level collegiate intramural basketball for 4 years using the NFHS rulebook, and now am considering taking the next step and becoming certified in my local organization. After reading some of your responses though, I worry that I might not have the rulebook memorized quite well enough although I have read through the rule and case books cover to cover several times.

Thanks for the advice to a real newbie!

Last edited by rekent; Fri Nov 02, 2012 at 12:23am.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2012, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
Hello All,

When you all are citing to NFHS rules on the forum, is it being done form memory or looking them up? I ask because I have been officiating somewhat high level collegiate intramural basketball for 4 years using the NFHS rulebook, and now am considering taking the next step and becoming certified in my local organization. After reading some of your responses though, I worry that I might not have the rulebook memorized quite well enough although I have read through the rule and case books cover to cover several times.

If it is "quoted", it is probably not memorized. However, many can come really close to rule book wording just from familiarity. But full, word-by-word quotes are going to be copied from the book.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2012, 01:37am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
Hello All,

Welcome to the forum rekent! Intramurals is how I started, and I know you and I are not alone in that sense. A lot of the guys you'll talk to started doing intramural ball while they were in college.

If you have the rulebook memorized, there may be something wrong with you haha. By all means, read it as much as possible and know it cover to cover, but if you try to quote a rule exactly to a coach, he'll look at you like you're crazy.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2012, 08:47am
TODO: creative title here

If a rule (or caseplay) is cited word-for-word, it's almost certainly copied and pasted from somewhere.

With that said, it's like any other subject of study... you'll spend time in the rulebook and eventually you'll "know" the rules. It just that when we answer questions in a forum format, it's a good practice to quote the rule exactly rather than going with your "english language" wording of the rule.