The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 02:34pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Single T and Ejection?

I found the following in a several year old thread.

Oh..I forgot...early 4th quarter visiting team applying heavy pressure and fouls ball handler. I call a foul and one of the visiting players on my way to the table calls me a "homo"...so whack..."T". Coach asks why...and I told him what he called me.

Many of the responces were that they would have Dq'ed the player as well. Is it acceptable to DQ a player on their first technical foul?
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Of course. An unsporting act that you deem flagrant does not require a warning. There are a number of things that a player (or coach) would say to me that I would deem a flagrant unsporting act.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 02:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
I found the following in a several year old thread.

Oh..I forgot...early 4th quarter visiting team applying heavy pressure and fouls ball handler. I call a foul and one of the visiting players on my way to the table calls me a "homo"...so whack..."T". Coach asks why...and I told him what he called me.

Many of the responces were that they would have Dq'ed the player as well. Is it acceptable to DQ a player on their first technical foul?
Not only is someone calling you something that is derogatory, but is challenging your sexual orientation. This is almost a no-brainer as a flagrant foul. If they said the same thing in other school settings they likely would be punished heavily and suspended. I think a flagrant T is just fine in that situation.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 02:44pm

10-3-6a or 10-3-6b either could apply. Isn't the penalty spelled out as two free throws plus division line throw in? Where can I find the info about the flagrant part of the orginal situation? Also in your opinion what could a player say to you that would result in a technical foul that isn't flagrant vs one that is flagrant?
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
10-3-6a or 10-3-6b either could apply. Isn't the penalty spelled out as two free throws plus division line throw in? Where can I find the info about the flagrant part of the orginal situation? Also in your opinion what could a player say to you that would result in a technical foul that isn't flagrant vs one that is flagrant?
See the NOTE under the penalty, and see the defintion of Flagrant Foul in 4-19-4.

Are you sure he didn't call you a homer? (that would be an example of a non-flagrant T)
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

See rule 10 for info on flagrant fouls.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 02:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
See the NOTE under the penalty, and see the defintion of Flagrant Foul in 4-19-4.

Are you sure he didn't call you a homer? (that would be an example of a non-flagrant T)
It didn't involve me just reading page 119 of past threads as this is my first year and trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks for the rules reference!
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 03:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Too many things a player could say that would only involve a Technical Foul. What makes it flagrant would be things like comments that are very personal or involve racial, ethnic or sexual orientation said to me, a partner or a opponent (even teammate in some situations) is a good start. Then again we all have our personal standards as there are no specifics other than what I mentioned stated clearly in the rule.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If the situation warrants it, you can end a player's night...this applies to all levels of play (I know you're a first year official...just saying as an FYI).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 04:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Had a football play this year where I tossed a kid for racial language (used trying to pick a fight.)

There's no need to call two Technical fouls in basketball if you've already decided to DQ.