The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 08, 2012, 06:32pm
Ok is the new good

POE for NFHS 2012-13

I might have missed it, but have the POE for this season been posted here?

Thanks!
Old Mon Oct 08, 2012, 07:39pm
This IS My Social Life

POE-toe, POE-tatoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
I might have missed it, but have the POE for this season been posted here? Thanks!
Here's a link to the NFHS site through the Arbiter, if you're able to access it:
https://nfhs-basketball.arbitersport...phasis-2012-13
Old Mon Oct 08, 2012, 08:04pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Here's a link to the NFHS site through the Arbiter, if you're able to access it:
https://nfhs-basketball.arbitersport...phasis-2012-13
Don't have access..can you paste the POE in a Post...Thanks
Old Mon Oct 08, 2012, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.nfhs.org/Workarea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=6883

That is direct download link that will give you a PDF of the POEs
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 08:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

2012-13 Points Of Emphasis ...

1. Closely guarded situations. Well officiated closely-guarded situations provide for better balance between offense and defense. When the closely-guarded rules are not followed properly, there is a significant advantage for the offense. The following areas should be emphasized:
a. Rule basics. A closely-guarded situation occurs when a player in control of the ball in his or her team’s frontcourt is guarded by an opponent who is within 6 feet or the player who is holding or dribbling the ball; the defensive player must obtain a legal guarding position. A player shall not hold the ball for five seconds or dribble the ball for five seconds while closely guarded in the frontcourt. A player can legally hold the ball while closely guarded for four seconds, dribble the ball for four seconds and hold the ball again for four seconds before violating.
b. Multiple defenders. The closely guarded count should continue even if there is a defensive switch, provided the 6-foot distance is maintained by one or more defenders. There is no requirement for the defender to remain the same during the count as long as the offensive player is closely guarded throughout. The closely- guarded count ends when no defensive player is within 6 feet.

2. Contact above the shoulders. With a continued emphasis on reducing concussions and decreasing excessive contact situations the committee determined that more guidance is needed for penalizing contact above the shoulders.
a. A player shall not swing his/her arm(s) or elbow(s) even without contacting an opponent. Excessive swinging of the elbows occurs when arms and elbows are swung about while using the shoulders as pivots, and the speed of the extended arms and elbows is in excess of the rest of the body as it rotates on the hips or on the pivot foot. Currently it is a violation in Rule 9 Section 13 Article.
b. Examples of illegal contact above the shoulders and resulting penalties.
1. Contact with a stationary elbow may be incidental or a common foul.
2. An elbow in movement but not excessive should be an intentional foul.
3. A moving elbow that is excessive can be either an intentional foul or flagrant personal foul.

3. Intentional Fouls. The committee is concerned about the lack of enforcement for intentional
fouls during any part of the game but especially at the end of a game. The intentional foul rule has devolved into misapplication and personal interpretations. An intentional foul is a personal or technical foul that neutralizes an opponent’s obvious advantageous position. Contact away from the ball or when not making a legitimate attempt to play the ball, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting, shall be intentional. Intentional fouls may or may not be premeditated and are not based solely on the
severity of the act. A foul also shall be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player causes excessive contact with an opponent.
a. Anytime during the game. Acts that neutralize an opponent’s obvious advantageous position and must be deemed intentional include:
1. Excessive contact on any player attempting a try
2. Grabbing or shoving a player from behind when an easy basket may be scored
3. Grabbing and holding a player from behind or away from the ball
These are “non-basketball acts” and must be considered intentional fouls
b. Game awareness. The probability of fouling late in the game is an accepted coaching strategy and is utilized by many coaches in some form. Officials must have the courage to enforce the intentional foul rule properly.

4. Guidelines to enforce illegal contact. Escalating fight situations can often be traced back to illegal contact not being properly enforced and penalized. Examples of illegal contact are:
a. Hand checking. Any tactic using hands or arms that allows a player on offense or defense to control the movement of an opposing player.
Examples of hand checking foul.
1. Both hands on an opposing player
2. Jabbing a hand or forearm on an opponent.
3. Continuous contact by a hand or forearm on an opponent
b. Post play. Any tactic using hands, arms or body to control the movement of an opposing player.
Examples of illegal post play.
1. Hooking by the offensive player
2. Pushing, holding or slapping an opponent
3. Dislodging an opponent by using a leg or knee to the rear of an opponent
4. Dislodging an opponent by backing them down
c. Rebounding. Any activity to illegally gain rebounding position on an opponent.
Examples of illegal rebounding activity.
1. Displace, charge or push and opponent
2. Extend the arms or elbows to impede the movement of an opponent
3. Using the hips or knees to hinder or impede an opponent
4. Violation of the principle of verticality
5. Contact between players in free throw lane spaces prior to the ball contacting the ring
a. It is illegal to physically contact an opponent prior to the ball legally contacting the ring.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 11:04am
Esteemed Forum Member

Closely Guarded And Screener ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Multiple defenders. The closely guarded count should continue even if there is a defensive switch, provided the 6-foot distance is maintained by one or more defenders. There is no requirement for the defender to remain the same during the count as long as the offensive player is closely guarded throughout. The closely-guarded count ends when no defensive player is within 6 feet.
What if a screen is involved? I remember a controversial (aren't they all?) IAABO Refresher Exam question several years ago that indicated that the count should be stopped if a screen is involved, and the defender goes behind the screen, even if the defender(s) stay within six feet. Many of our high school officials, including me, disagreed with the IAABO answer sheet. The controversy may have been caused by differences between NFHS and NCAA closely guarded rules when a screen is involved. Anybody remember this, or wish to comment?

Update: I found some old threads (below) regarding five seconds and screening. Old news to crusty Forum veterans, but Forum "newbies" may want to give the threads a quick peek:

Five Second Count Screen

Update Closely Guarded/ Screen
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 09, 2012 at 01:23pm.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

I think that if a player with the ball dribbles around a screen, he would, or should have gotten his head and shoulders past the defensive player that is guarding him. This act in its self would or should cause the count to be stopped.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 03:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolinFool View Post
I think that if a player with the ball dribbles around a screen, he would, or should have gotten his head and shoulders past the defensive player that is guarding him. This act in its self would or should cause the count to be stopped.
And it would, except that a second player now has position.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why would you think that? A defender can easily go under a screen and stay in a guarding position the entire time. It would actually be pretty hard for the dribbler to get head/shoulders past the defender in such a case. They could, however, more easily break 6'.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 09:22pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Why would you think that? A defender can easily go under a screen and stay in a guarding position the entire time. It would actually be pretty hard for the dribbler to get head/shoulders past the defender in such a case. They could, however, more easily break 6'.
NCAA does explicitly state that if an offensive player is standing between the defender and the ball (such as with a screen), there is no closely guarded situation.

I believe NFHS has no such provision; I believe this triggered a discussion here in the past.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Huh?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Oct 11, 2012, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
NCAA does explicitly state that if an offensive player is standing between the defender and the ball (such as with a screen), there is no closely guarded situation.

I believe NFHS has no such provision; I believe this triggered a discussion here in the past.
But that is only because they (NCAA) declared it to be so, not because any of the requirements of the basic closely guarded rule have been lost.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2012, 04:19am
Official Forum Member

"5. Contact between players in free throw lane spaces prior to the ball contacting the ring
a. It is illegal to physically contact an opponent prior to the ball legally contacting the ring."

Now who from the NFHS wrote this silliness? Someone please cite a rule which supports this. To my knowledge, there isn't one. There is only a provision that a player in a marked lane space cannot break the plane of that space with his foot prior to the ball contacting the ring or backboard.

The players can touch each other, they just cannot foul each other. This is not a throw-in boundary plane!
Old Thu Oct 11, 2012, 06:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

Contact Versus Illegal Contact ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The players can touch each other, they just cannot foul each other.
... and players do this all the time, and when they do, and someone complains, we tell them to "knock it off", and they always comply. I never considered charging a foul when players play "patty cake" in this situation. Does the NFHS want us to consider all contact in this situation illegal?