The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

planes of the court

what is the rule if the ball is behind the backboard and hits the padding crossing the plane??? is it a violation??? can the ball in addition be shot from behind the backboard and travel over the top of the backboard??? how bout if the ball is behind the plane of the backboard and hits the top of the backboard???
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

I'm not 100 percent sure what's you're asking. The rule is pretty simple.

Under NFHS and NCAA rules, if the ball passes over the top of the backboard (assuming it's a rectangular backboard and not a fan shaped one) in either direction, it's an out of bounds violation. If it hits the back of the backboard (as the 4 sides and the front of the backboard are inbounds) it's out of bounds.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Thu Jul 12, 2012 at 12:21pm.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 06:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Larry Legend ...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 06:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

From The Files Of The Mythbusters ...

The front, top, sides, and bottom of the backboard are all in play. The ball cannot legally pass over a rectangular backboard from either direction. The back of a backboard is out of bounds as well as the supporting structures.

Note that Larry Bird's shot would count if they were playing on a court with fan shaped backboards. Of course, there aren't too many NBA teams that play on courts with fan shaped backboards anymore.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 08:16am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Note that Larry Bird's shot would count if they were playing on a court with fan shaped backboards...
My question is: What was the Bird Man doing playing in the Hartford Civic Center? Shouldn't there have been ice on the floor for the Whalers?
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 08:29am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
My question is: What was the Bird Man doing playing in the Hartford Civic Center? Shouldn't there have been ice on the floor for the Whalers?
Must have been ice on the floor of the Garden that night for the Bruins.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

I was in the house the night Bird hit that shot. It was a preseason game in the fall of '86 the season after the Celtics and Rockets played in the Finals.

The Celtics used to play three regular-season games and a preseason tilt in Hartford every year. I don't know when the agreement ended, maybe the early '90s?

As for the OP, I don't think his first question has been addressed (ball hitting the bottom of the padding from behind the backboard). That query seems to have been ignored. My feeling is that's inbounds, regardless of where the ball came from to hit that spot.

Also, the last question is also a good one (ball hitting the top from behind). Based on letter of the rule (ball can't PASS OVER), you could make the case this play is also legal.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 10:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Also, the last question is also a good one (ball hitting the top from behind). Based on letter of the rule (ball can't PASS OVER), you could make the case this play is also legal.
As long as the ball bounces back behind the backboard, you could rule it legal.

However, if the ball thrown from behind bounces on the top and then continues to the front, it has passed over the backboard and is OOB. And a ball that hits the top and bounces backwards may likely have hit that corner at an angle that should be considered the back of the backboard, making it illegal as well.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The front, top, sides, and bottom of the backboard are all in play. The ball cannot legally pass over a rectangular backboard from either direction. The back of a backboard is out of bounds as well as the supporting structures.

Note that Larry Bird's shot would count if they were playing on a court with fan shaped backboards. Of course, there aren't too many NBA teams that play on courts with fan shaped backboards anymore.
The shot didn't count back then, but would count today (NBA rules).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 02:50pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
The shot didn't count back then, but would count today (NBA rules).
Hey. It was JUST summer ball.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 05:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Can You Believe It, They Moved To North Carolina, A Real Ice Hockey Hotbed ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Shouldn't there have been ice on the floor for the Whalers?
Great. Now I'm going to start crying. I can't hold back the tears. I had almost forgotten about Connecticut's only major league sports team (the Connecticut Sun, wimmen's basketball, doesn't count) leaving. On top of that, our professional Ultimate Frisbee team just folded. I can't imagine why?

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jul 12, 2012 at 06:08pm.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Great. Now I'm going to start crying. I can't hold back the tears. I had almost forgotten about Connecticut's only major league sports team (the Connecticut Sun, wimmen's basketball, doesn't count) leaving. On top of that, our professional Ultimate Frisbee team just folded. I can't imagine why?

Pretty sure they moved to Raleigh because you folks in CT didn't support them. The highest attendance average for a season in Hartford was 14,574. They average over 16,000 this year in that "Real Ice Hockey Hotbed."

BTW, they've won the Stanley Cup since they got here.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 07:06pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
I was in the house the night Bird hit that shot. It was a preseason game in the fall of '86 the season after the Celtics and Rockets played in the Finals.

The Celtics used to play three regular-season games and a preseason tilt in Hartford every year. I don't know when the agreement ended, maybe the early '90s?
I wasn't there for that shot, but I saw my share of Celtics games in Hartford. Those were fun nights, I have to say.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 07:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Salt In A Wound ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
They've won the Stanley Cup since they got here.
BktBallRef: Shut up.

Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 07:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Linsanity In Hartford ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I wasn't there for that shot, but I saw my share of Celtics games in Hartford. Those were fun nights, I have to say.
Then fire up the flux capacitor.

NBA Preseason: Boston Celtics vs. New York Knicks in Hartford, CT, XL Center (formerly Hartford Civic Center), Saturday, Oct 13, 2012 at 7:30 p.m.