The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Six on court, but...

Had a tough situation Monday night in 8th grade girl’s conference tourney.

Beginning of 4th period. I administered the throw-in. After the ball is in play my partner blows his whistle for a timeout by “A” coach but also says “A” team has six players on the court and T’s up “A”. Meanwhile, “A” coach is yelling he called a timeout first and no technical.

As it turned out there were six “A” players on the court BUT neither one us discovered the violation or called the technical. My partner called the T after the fact.

I pulled my partner off to the side and I said that if the timeout was called first, then it’s a dead ball and there can’t be a technical foul. “B” coach is in our ear yelling it doesn’t matter when the violation happened; that if there are 6 on the court it is an automatic violation. I told him not automatic unless the ref sees and calls the technical foul. “B” coach is adamant that I am wrong and that his team should shoot two.

I go back to my partner and he said that he has already announced the foul to the scorer and “B” will shoot two and won’t change the call. “A” coach was of course mad and reiterated we were wrong, but we proceeded with the T and told the scorer not to record the timeout by “A” coach.

Turned out “B” (home team) missed both shots and “A” won by 8. But after the game we furthered discussed and feel we made a mistake on allowing the technical shots. Probably a mistake too that we gave the time out back to the “A” coach.

Hate when this happens!

Your comments are welcomed.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 02:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. If your partner blows the whistle for the T at the same time (virtually) he sees 6 players on the court, I've got no problem with sticking with the T.

2. Coach uses his timeout regardless, IMO. He tried to get out of the T by using a TO.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 02:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
1. If your partner blows the whistle for the T at the same time (virtually) he sees 6 players on the court, I've got no problem with sticking with the T.

2. Coach uses his timeout regardless, IMO. He tried to get out of the T by using a TO.
I'd enforce the technical and allow the coach to rescind the TO.

And OP, you need a mental checklist you follow before you start each quarter -- it includes counting 5 players from each team, checking to see the clock is reset, making sure the table is ready, and checking the floor for cheerleaders, band members, spectators, etc. The start of a quarter is the most likely time a team will run six out onto the floor and it's almost completely preventable.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 02:50pm
Back from the DL

Case 10.1.6 touches on this, but the only time it clearly says it isn't applicable is after time expires. I don't see anything clear whether six have to be "caught in the act."
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

The penalty for more than 5 on the court is enforced if discovered while being violated. In the OP the t/o was granted prior to the T. Can they violate during a dead ball?
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 02:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Disagree. You can't enforce both because both depend on the reason for the whistle. If the whistle was for 6 players on the court, enforce that and ask the coach if he still wants the TO. If the whistle was to grant a TO, the "T" is no longer enforceable by rule but the TO must be taken.

You can choose what the whistle was blown for but you can't choose both.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 02:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Disagree. You can't enforce both because both depend on the reason for the whistle. If the whistle was for 6 players on the court, enforce that and ask the coach if he still wants the TO. If the whistle was to grant a TO, the "T" is no longer enforceable by rule but the TO must be taken.
Right. It's what I was assuming above -- that there was a whistle for the 6 on the court.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 02:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Case 10.1.6 touches on this, but the only time it clearly says it isn't applicable is after time expires. I don't see anything clear whether six have to be "caught in the act."
Try rule 10-1-6 and PENALTY (Art. 6). That's clear. It says "penalized if discovered while being violated". You don't have anybody participating during a TO.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 03:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Right. It's what I was assuming above -- that there was a whistle for the 6 on the court.
I asssume that you assumed that probably because Snaqs said "your partner blows the whistle for the T".
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 03:06pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Try rule 10-1-6 and PENALTY (Art. 6).
Paydirt! Thanks, JR.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 03:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I asssume that you assumed that probably because Snaqs said "your partner blows the whistle for the T".
Yeah, I was thinking as he blew the whistle, he saw the 6 players. Frankly, if the coach is asking for a TO that quickly after the start of a quarter, and I hadn't properly counted the players before the start, my brain is going to trigger to do a quick count before I blow the whistle.

I stand corrected on the TO. After I wrote that, it dawned on me that it's no different than a coach requesting a TO just as you call a held ball.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 04:18pm
We don't rent pigs

Here's another case of guys referring to when the whistle blows, when it comes to granting a timeout. Is the whistle itself significant or not? Official sees/hears the request, then sees 6 players, then blows the whistle. Can he call the T or not?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking as he blew the whistle, he saw the 6 players. Frankly, if the coach is asking for a TO that quickly after the start of a quarter, and I hadn't properly counted the players before the start, my brain is going to trigger to do a quick count before I blow the whistle.

I stand corrected on the TO. After I wrote that, it dawned on me that it's no different than a coach requesting a TO just as you call a held ball.
That seems strange to me (as a non-basketball official). Isn't the general principle that when you recognize a timeout request with team control you should grant it? Not check to determine if there are any rules being violated?
________
WEB SHOWS

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:43pm.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 04:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
That seems strange to me (as a non-basketball official). Isn't the general principle that when you recognize a timeout request with team control you should grant it? Not check to determine if there are any rules being violated?
Yep, and I'm granting the TO request. It'll take about half a second, IMO, to count to 5. That, and 9 times out of 10, the other coach (and the fans) is using the word "six" at the same time, so there's going to be a lot going through the mind in this short amount of time.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 05:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Here's another case of guys referring to when the whistle blows, when it comes to granting a timeout. Is the whistle itself significant or not? Official sees/hears the request, then sees 6 players, then blows the whistle. Can he call the T or not?
Um no. Snaqs said the whistle was blown for the technical foul. No whistle was ever blown for a TO. When the whistle was blown though is completely irrelevant. What the whistle was blown for determines the subsequent call.

The only confusion is yours. It's a straight-forward play.