The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 26, 2012, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

My first T

I come here quite a bit to learn from you all even though I am just a lowly coach. I have coached 900+ games at various levels and finally got my first T this past weekend.

My team was playing the host team and the other coach was much more vocal and disgusted with the official until 4 minutes before the half when one of my kids reached in and poked the ball away at mid court and as he picked up the ball and took a dribble the opposing player reached out with 2 hands and grabbed my kid by the hips. Whistle blows of course no big deal until the ref signals my kid for the foul and prepares to give the ball to the home team to inbound. The other coach goes crazy, I just laughed. The ref doesnt know what to do because I wasn't complaining, the other coach was saying what I wanted to say, so after the official explains that the foul occured when the ball was poked free I just continued to laugh. So I laughed, and laughed and four minutes later when the half ended I was still laughing even after several warnings and being told that it was enough I couldnt do anything but laugh. I suppose the official didnt think it was right to T me up because I wasnt saying anything just laughing. But I definitely deserved the T by now.

So of course I know I'm due, so I just bit my tongue the second half being extra sure to say nothing that could be construed as a comment toward the officials. As the game wound down the ball went off the opposing team almost exactly in the corner so my 7th grade player went to the baseline about 4 feet from the corner ready to resume play with the official standing about 8 feet from the corner also on the baseline. I saw the official point to the corner and my player moved a bit closer to the corner and again prepared to recieve the ball and resume play. So now the official tosses the ball about 5 feet up the sideline against the wall and begins his count. My player didnt really understand but walked over and picked up the ball and inbounded it anyways so no real harm done until as the official neared I again began to laugh and said "You couldnt just hand him the ball?" which finally earned the much deserved T. Then I got to hear his lecture about how he told my player to move to the sideline and when he didnt move, the officials job was to toss the ball to the spot and begin his count... I guess I am just ignorant and thought the official should have been standing near the spot and set the ball down?

I of course appologized to my team and their parents for my borish behaviour, I mean how can I preach respect for the game and officials when I acted like that. Deserved and recieved my first T, and just thought I'd thank you all for the great work you do... Putting up with all that you do is something I will never understand, and you deserve far more respect than you recieve.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2012, 06:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Place The Ball On The Floor ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDevil15 View Post
The officials job was to toss the ball to the spot and begin his count. I guess I am just ignorant and thought the official should have been standing near the spot and set the ball down?
Specifically referring to above, he was 100% wrong, you were 100% correct.

The technical foul was deserved. You had been warned.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jun 26, 2012 at 06:35am.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2012, 09:07am
This IS My Social Life

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDevil15 View Post
. . . just thought I'd thank you all for the great work you do... Putting up with all that you do is something I will never understand, and you deserve far more respect than you recieve.
Right back at you.

We don't have to put up with all the "helicopter parents" that you do.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2012, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Specifically referring to above, he was 100% wrong, you were 100% correct.
Actually my IAABO brother, "coach" was 66.6% correct. 2 outta 3 aint bad... there needs to be a whistle in that scenario