The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 20, 2012, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Loved the annoying coach getting shown up

The other day we had a girls summer league tournament. Teams from all over the state came together. I think I saw one of the best one liners from a coach I've ever heard.

Background: Team A is has multiple state championships in a row and all their players back. Their coach is literally 6'4 245 and looks like James Bond. Team B is a good team, but can't hang with team A. Their coach is very annoying. Team B's coach will make comments like "this is what happens when you come from out of town" under his breathe all night. He whines like crazy during their lower level games as well. He has something to say to everything.

In hindsight I should have told him(as I'd heard here) "Coach, even if you say it to your assistants, if I can hear it you've said it to me". After the game he even made sure my partner heard him say "this is what happens when they don't have money for officials".

Of course Team B has a super aggressive post who is fouling like crazy and we don't have the option to foul anyone out (tourny rules). So, as girls are hitting the deck the parents and coach B are getting more wound up. Tension level in the gym rose. Coach A didn't say a word.

Finally the game ends with a 20 point loss and Coach B is still whining away in the hand shake line. We are grabbing our gear from right in front of the scorers table. He must have said something really stupid to cap things off, because coach A, who hasn't said a word all night, waits until the lines have cleared, waits a second, and says to coach B(about 20 feet away) in a very calm and direct tone: "Do you have a problem with any of my girls?" The between the lines message of "please shut up and if you have anything more to say let's settle it right now" was unmistakeable. Coach B honestly looked terrified and literally took two steps back while saying there was no problem at all and trying to crack a stupid, mumbled joke.

I think I enjoyed this so much because there are those times you want to tell a coach to grow up or get a life, and the other coach did such a good job of it. I later remarked to my partner that Coach A is on the top of my "Coaches that no official would want to fight after the game" list.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 09:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Why didn't you give him a T?
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 10:17am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballRookie View Post

Team B's coach will make comments like "this is what happens when you come from out of town" under his breathe all night.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 10:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yep, I'll address this the first time I hear it, and it will be quick. The second time, we're shooting FTs.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 11:43am
Do not give a damn!!

I had a similar situation the other day in a HS summer shootout (school teams not wreak ball for sure). I did not do much of anything and let it keep going so when I gave the T, I had an accumulation of behavior to back me.

The coach in my game kept saying things to his players to undermine what we were calling. We would call an obvious foul that not only knocked a player to the floor, the coach would come up and say, "Keep doing what you are doing, that is great defense." Then his prima donna player kept commenting on every single play that did not involve him in any way. After a few times of this, I stuck the player after a big "Oh...my....God" on a play he was nowhere around.

Then after the game the coach actually wanted to know why his player got T'd up. Well I told him and even shared with him the comments of one of the host coaches of this shootout that came to me in the middle of the game and said, "Would it not be better if he had a question to just ask you instead of talking through his players at you?" Also because I did not care I told the coach directly, "He got a T for accumulated BS." I went on to say to this coach, "Every time we called something someone had something to say. If a coach can recognized this, then it appears you are not aware with my experience I can see this too. I know what you were doing and you would not stop the behavior, so I took the appropriate action." He really had nothing to counter my comments and made a couple of other little remarks as he walked away.

Life is too short for this crap and no one is paying me enough to put up with this crap during the summer. This is supposed to be for the kids so they can play and get better, not yell and scream at me.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 11:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Game before mine last night, I show up just in time to see one of the officials warning the coach that his girls were talking too much after calls. Rather than address his players, the coach just challenged the officials' version of events.

Next trip down the court, one of the two girls in question commits a foul on a three point shot and whines about it when it's called.

The shooter made three of her five free throws.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Game before mine last night, I show up just in time to see one of the officials warning the coach that his girls were talking too much after calls. Rather than address his players, the coach just challenged the officials' version of events.

Next trip down the court, one of the two girls in question commits a foul on a three point shot and whines about it when it's called.

Had a similar situation on Tuesday, but the outcome was the opposite. A player whining and chipping about calls (coaches are being examples of good sportsmanship). Near the end of a timeout, I inform an assistant about the player's behavior. On the next whistle after the timeout, the player is subbed out. The assistant has a word with him....he returns. I hear a bit of coaching from the bench to the kid about his attitude. Aside from seeing he came back in the game, I never noticed he was back out there. One big gold star to that coach!
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 12:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Had a similar situation on Tuesday, but the outcome was the opposite. A player whining and chipping about calls (coaches are being examples of good sportsmanship). Near the end of a timeout, I inform an assistant about the player's behavior. On the next whistle after the timeout, the player is subbed out. The assistant has a word with him....he returns. I hear a bit of coaching from the bench to the kid about his attitude. Aside from seeing he came back in the game, I never noticed he was back out there. One big gold star to that coach!
Had one last weekend like this; JVB. Team from out of town (up near tref's and toren's area) just getting killed every game. A1 bringing the ball up, gets called for a travel as he picks up his dribble in pressure near the division line. He then slams the ball so that it bounces toward his basket (going up to about 10-15 feet high on the first bounce).

My partner started to get his attention (he was about to give him a T) but the coach was on the court chewing him out and a sub was at the table for him. Partner let it slide as the coach was dealing with it. A1 came up to us later during an injury stoppage and apologized, adding "I'm benched." He didn't play the rest of that game.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

I need to get better at handling these coaches; had one last week in a summer shootout game that was riding me about how the other team was "reaching" (both teams were reaching and it was an ugly game). In hindsight I should have had a conversation with him at that point to cool him down, basically to say, hey both teams are reaching but reaching isn't a foul unless there is enough contact to call a foul. Instead he just got hotter and hotter, and kept commenting how we "missed that one", or "that was an easy one" if something didn't get called. You could tell this attitude was rubbing off on his players too. Just not a fun game to officiate.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 04:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
I need to get better at handling these coaches; had one last week in a summer shootout game that was riding me about how the other team was "reaching" (both teams were reaching and it was an ugly game). In hindsight I should have had a conversation with him at that point to cool him down, basically to say, hey both teams are reaching but reaching isn't a foul unless there is enough contact to call a foul. Instead he just got hotter and hotter, and kept commenting how we "missed that one", or "that was an easy one" if something didn't get called. You could tell this attitude was rubbing off on his players too. Just not a fun game to officiate.
I wouldn't get into it too much with him. Just tell him that's enough and go from there. He's not going to listen to a rules clinic anyway.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 04:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
If you had made any comment to the coach that comment most-assuredly shouldn't have involved the word "reaching" nor should you have said both teams are doing it.

"That's enough Coach" is suffient for that scenario.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 05:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Deserts ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
To bad that she missed the other two. Are you sure that there wasn't any disconcertion from the bench?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jun 22, 2012, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had one like this on Monday. I said, it would be impossible to steal the ball if its illegal to reach. And that was the end of his nonsense... well, until he wanted calls for "moving" screens, minus contact