The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 24, 2012, 08:27pm
Certified Non-Fanboy

Sorry I missed you, bainsey. My daughter got injured the night before camp so we didn't make the trip. Hope camp went well for you.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 01:01am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Sorry I missed you, bainsey. My daughter got injured the night before camp so we didn't make the trip.
Not as sorry as I am to hear that. I hope she recovers well and soon.

Overall, things went well. Zero problems with the kids; very minimal BS from the coaches. It was interesting that the university had us fill out W-4s for payment. One of my partners wondered aloud if getting on payroll allows us tuition discounts.

Just a couple of little notables...

Game 3: I had an easy PC foul right in front of the offensive team's bench. Our mechanic is to get the fist up, PAUSE, then give the signal (hand behind the head). The coach first asked me if I knew or if was I thinking, and three seconds later, told his player she was out of control! (So, I guess he knew.)

Game 5: Team A is up 7 points in the last minute, with the ball. A's coach calls a 30-second time-out. Okay, interesting timing for hat. Suddenly, I notice UMaine's head coach take over the Team A bench, and ask me where the throw-in was. I point to the spot, about five feet from the division line, opposite side. He asks to move it to the free-throw line extended.

My brain's first thought was, great, here's another guy I have to explain that rule doesn't exist.... oh, wait, I'm at a camp. "No problem, coach."

The 30-second time out became 90 easily. Again, it's a camp, and these girls are learning from a Division I coach. Let's see what happens.

I bounce to ball to A-1 for the throw-in, B-2 is guarding, and B-2 immediately steals the throw-in and goes the other way. All that set-up for that!

However, after I take position on the opposite end line, my partner, the new trail, calls a five-second violation on B-3, table-side near the division line.

"Run the play again!" the head coach immediately yells. Sure, why not? I go back to the free throw-line extended, opposite side: Lob throw-in, tall center catches it in the lane, and makes the easy lay-in, a good last-second play learned.

At the buzzer, my partner let B-3 know she didn't dribble it for five seconds; he was looking for a way to run that play again.

"Oh," says B-3. "Okay, cool."

Last edited by bainsey; Mon Jun 25, 2012 at 01:04am.