The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

H.S. Rule talking about referee jurisdiction to award technicals after clock runs

I’m Assisting my oldest son coaching my youngest son’s playoff game last night. Never got tossed in my life, coached 50 different rec teams. Got maybe 4 techs over 500 plus games before this for pointing out 'no calls'.

In first couple minutes, it’s like a football game out there (6th graders in rec), so we both complain ‘pretty strongly’ and get ‘T’d up.

Tonight is the final playoff game, and we have no coach and here’s why.

After the game was over, referees were sitting at scorers table waiting for game next game to ref. Teams had shaken hands and gone off to their respective corners

I walked up to one after the game, simply told him that it was the worst refereed game I’d been a part of for 15 years (8 injury timeouts had to be called because players were falling down getting injured and several crying! because of “no calls”). Game over, we won OT 37-35.They were sitting at the scorers table waiting for the next game to start.

Full five minutes after game is over, Ref T’s me again, results in next game suspension (and two free throws five minutes after game over for other team, which thankfully they miss).—and my son is not available to coach tonites championship playoff game, flying to Atlanta.

Anyway, if anyway has a copy of these rules, I’d appreciate you forwarding to me asap only at [email protected] as the board is considering whether to revoke the tech and suspension because the ref may not have had JURISDICTION once game was over and they were off of the court. I just physically need the rules, and I can’t find the rules anywhere on the internet.

Sorry to bother, but if I have the high school rules, which govern in Florida, that may help—so if you know anyone who has a copy and will provide and scan those specific rules, much appreciated.

These are the rule numbers that were cited by them, but not the rule itself:

Rule 2.2 article 4 with respect to officials jurisdiction. Page 15.

Rule 10-4 bench technical. Article 1a. Page 62.

Page 72 technical foul penalty summary. See Assistant Coach and Head Coach at bottom two grids of chart.

Anybody who has copies, please provide to me at [email protected]

Thanks for any help!!
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 11:45am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
I’m Assisting my oldest son coaching my youngest son’s playoff game last night. Never got tossed in my life, coached 50 different rec teams. Got maybe 4 techs over 500 plus games before this for pointing out 'no calls'.

In first couple minutes, it’s like a football game out there (6th graders in rec), so we both complain ‘pretty strongly’ and get ‘T’d up.

Tonight is the final playoff game, and we have no coach and here’s why.

After the game was over, referees were sitting at scorers table waiting for game next game to ref. Teams had shaken hands and gone off to their respective corners

I walked up to one after the game, simply told him that it was the worst refereed game I’d been a part of for 15 years (8 injury timeouts had to be called because players were falling down getting injured and several crying! because of “no calls”). Game over, we won OT 37-35.They were sitting at the scorers table waiting for the next game to start.

Full five minutes after game is over, Ref T’s me again, results in next game suspension (and two free throws five minutes after game over for other team, which thankfully they miss).—and my son is not available to coach tonites championship playoff game, flying to Atlanta.

Anyway, if anyway has a copy of these rules, I’d appreciate you forwarding to me asap only at [email protected] as the board is considering whether to revoke the tech and suspension because the ref may not have had JURISDICTION once game was over and they were off of the court. I just physically need the rules, and I can’t find the rules anywhere on the internet.

Sorry to bother, but if I have the high school rules, which govern in Florida, that may help—so if you know anyone who has a copy and will provide and scan those specific rules, much appreciated.

These are the rule numbers that were cited by them, but not the rule itself:

Rule 2.2 article 4 with respect to officials jurisdiction. Page 15.

Rule 10-4 bench technical. Article 1a. Page 62.

Page 72 technical foul penalty summary. See Assistant Coach and Head Coach at bottom two grids of chart.

Anybody who has copies, please provide to me at [email protected]

Thanks for any help!!

Normally I would welcome you to the Forum counselor (yes, your email address told me and everybody else that you are a lawyer), BUT:

You had NO BUSINESS approaching the officials after the game. I don't care if your team won or lost, or if you thought the officials were the greatest you had ever seen, or the worst you had ever seen. If I had been one of the officials I would have told you to keep moving or I would call 911. The officials really had no rule support for whacking but that didn't give you the right to get some cheap shots in.

If you really wanted to let them know how you felt that you should have been a man and given them your cheap shots during the game so you would have received the TF's you deserved. You deserve not being on the bench. If your son can't coach his brother's team, then find another parent who can.

By the way, I have basketball officiating friends in Tampa and Brevard County. Please let me know where you are located so that they can be on the look out for you.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Know your role, coach

On top of what MTD said, you have no right to communicate with officials during the game as you were the ASSISTANT COACH & not the HC.

Quote:
Quote:
You have quite the history as a coach... AFTER ALL THOSE GAMES YOU'VE COACHED & YOU STILL DONT OWN A RULEBOOK??

Furthermore, a whistle IS NOT required every time a kid falls down or gets hurt!! If the kids dont like contact... GO PLAY TABLE TENNIS!

"Somebodys gonna get hurt" is one of the most stupid comments of All-Time.
The fact of the matter is, we blow our whistle AFTER contact that results in adv/dis. We dont blow just BEFORE an injury may occur & pause the action.

Had you stayed in your lane, you would still be in the game
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Wait a second ????????

Do you go to court (your job) not knowing the law????? Then why did you go into this game and not know the rules of basketball????

Game was over you won be happy.......

Sir you are not qualified to comment on the officiating, just like I would

have no business to comment on your ability to represent......

Last edited by Multiple Sports; Thu Jun 07, 2012 at 04:41pm.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 12:17pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I walked up to one after the game, simply told him that it was the worst refereed game I’d been a part of for 15 years
"Simply"? Idiot.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe the officials thought it was the worst coached game they had ever seen. Only difference is that they kept their thoughts to themselves!

With all of that coaching experience I am surprised you don't have Div 1 and NBA teams beating a path to your door with contract offers
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Oh... and it looks like your a personal injury leach er, lawyer. I bet you were handing out cards to everyon after that game, what with all the injuries and all....

Last edited by cmckenna; Thu Jun 07, 2012 at 12:48pm.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 12:57pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
(Emphasis mine)

Since your attorney gig apparently doesn't pay you enough to spend $8ish on a rulebook, here's the relevant part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFHS 2.2.4
ART. 4

The jurisdiction of the officials is terminated and the final score has been approved when all officials leave the visual confines of the playing area.

NOTE: The officials retain clerical authority over the contest through the completion of any reports, including those imposing disqualifications, which are responsive to actions occurring while the officials had jurisdiction. State associations may intercede in the event of unusual incidents after the officials' jurisdiction has ended or in the event that a contest is terminated prior to the conclusion of regulation play.
(Again, emphasis mine)

The officials were still in the visual confines of the playing area, so they still have jurisdiction. End of Story.

Quote:

Sounds to me like you got what you deserved. And makes me want to buy those officials a beer.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 01:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

IT IS A FREAKIN 6TH GRADE GAME, GET THE HECK OVER IT!!!!!

Dude no one really cares honestly. I am sure the kids will forget after you get them ice cream. Give it a break. I do not care if you are a lawyer, a doctor or a janitor, get some perspective in life. These are after all just games. And I doubt in your real job that if someone did not like your job, they would have the right to get in your face and say you were the worst at that profession. And I am sure you would also think someone that was not in your profession was nuts for approaching you like that.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 01:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

If after a trial you walked into the judge's chambers univited and told him he is the worst judge you've ever seen in your life would your deed go unpunished?
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 01:13pm
Esteemed Participant

The best part of this whole thing is that the Original Poster gets to meet with those 6th grade kids and their parents and explain to all of them that they won't be playing in their championship game because he couldn't keep his mouth shut!!

The fault is 100% yours, dman. Now "man up" and admit that to these kids and their parents...don't you dare try to blame the loss of their championship game experience on anyone else. Had you kept your mouth shut and left the gym, those kids would be playing again.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Personal Injury Lawyer ..........

A true rat.

Hopefully, someone reports you to the local BAR for your unprofessional conduct.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 01:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Counselor, I'm not sure what sort of response you were expecting, but after reading your post and knowing I wasn't the first to respond, the responses were totally predictable and justified.

First of all, I appreciate parents who volunteer to coach. As my kids get older, I recognize that volunteer coaches are hard to come by sometimes, and the time commitment isn't small. But you need perspective.

As spelled out above, the rule is that the officials have jurisdiction until they leave the court. It prevents just the sort of idiocy in which you engaged, dumping on the officials after the final horn. If the league doesn't want this situation to happen, they could provide a locker room for the officials to get away from stupid coaches after the game.

For the record, I would have also had the other team shoot two FTs (unless we couldn't find them) to determine if we were going to play a second OT. If we couldn't find them, my report to the league would include a recommendation to suspend the game pending the shooting of said FTs.

I have some questions for you, though.

1. What in the hell were you still doing near the table five minutes after the game? Frankly, even if the tech weren't justified by rule, you should be suspended anyway for harassing the officials.

2. Why does the team have no coach tonight? Aren't you the assistant coach? Where is the Head Coach?

3. 6th grade rec, makes me wonder; were these refs high school kids? Around here, in a 6th grade rec game, you're as likely to get a varsity veteran as a high school aged rookie. Either way, you have no business approaching them after the game to offer your critique; let alone an insult.

Shut up and take your medicine.

If you have complaints about the officiating, you need to take it up with the league director rather than the officials directly. By taking matters into your own hands, you forfeited any right to complain, IMO.

Last edited by Adam; Thu Jun 07, 2012 at 01:36pm.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(8 injury timeouts had to be called because players were falling down getting injured and several crying! because of “no calls”).
Look on the bright side.......

You now have have 8 potential clients
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 01:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...(8 injury timeouts had to be called because players were falling down getting injured and several crying! because of “no calls”)...
Still trying to figure out how an official's whistle after the play would have prevented the injuries or crying?