The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Time for a contest (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/9141-time-contest.html)

Mark Padgett Fri Jun 27, 2003 06:59pm

Juulie and I were so bored during our games last night, we decided to come up with a contest. OK, to be fair, she had nothing to do with it, but I didn't want to take all the credit.

The winner will have the funniest ending to this joke:

"How many coaches does it take to put in a light bulb?"

Notice I didn't say "screw in a light bulb" because I wanted to keep the responses relatively clean.

Juulie and I will be the judges. In case of a tie, I get two votes. ;) The winner gets a Bobby Knight pinata. The runner up gets a free copy of the book "Anger Management - What's Up With That?" by Rasheed Wallace.

OK - there's really no prizes, but I thought that sounded funny.

mick Fri Jun 27, 2003 08:45pm

Don't need to; they're very comfortable in the dark.

Dan_ref Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:00pm

Three! Three! Three! He's in there all day! Three!! Four!!! Five!!!!

submission #2:

Q: How many coaches does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A: Two, but don't ask me how they got in there.

Mark Dexter Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:24pm

Q: How many coaches does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: We have no official comment until the NCAA reviews the case . . .

just another ref Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:30pm

It never occurs to the coach to change the light bulb. He just stands there in the dark yelling "I guess you didn't see that, either!" over and over.

PAULK1 Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:58pm

I think this is covered in 10-9 somewhere.

If the state uses the coaching box only the head coach can remain standing to change the bulb.

However the assistant may rise spontaneously to flip the switch
then return to the bench.

rainmaker Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:57am

Mark -- I think we should wait until next Tues or Wed to choose a winner, just to give everyone a chance (especially people who only read the board on company time!).

zebraman Sat Jun 28, 2003 01:04am

Trick question. None of the coaches would have ever read the instruction manual on putting light bulbs in.

Z

Mark Padgett Sat Jun 28, 2003 01:30am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Mark -- I think we should wait until next Tues or Wed to choose a winner, just to give everyone a chance (especially people who only read the board on company time!).
I agree. Let's make the cut off Wednesday, July 2 at 9:30 pm Pacific time. I should just be getting home from my "Dave game" with Beavis the Wonder Jerk.

BTW - I like the responses so far.

just another ref Sat Jun 28, 2003 01:37am

Shame on you for starting this thread. Now all of the coaches that own a rule book (both of them) have worn the index out looking for "light bulb".

som44 Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:16am

two--one to do it and one to be "over his back"

ChuckElias Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:39pm

Just one; especially if he gives the light bulb a bad rating after a loss.

BktBallRef Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:03pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
"How many coaches does it take to put in a light bulb?"

It doesn't really matter. Even if the light is on, nobody's home! :D

PGCougar Sun Jun 29, 2003 01:04pm

One. But you can bet your bottom dollar that the coach will take as much time as possible selecting a "substitute" for the bulb that has burnt out...

Mark Padgett Sun Jun 29, 2003 01:10pm

I mentioned this to my son, Josh, and he said "It doesn't matter how many try - they'll never figure it out".

And no - he's not in the contest. It wouldn't be fair for me to award him the victory based on the theory of relativity.