The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 12, 2012, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Economics of Officiating

I'm new at this, so this could be totally inaccurate. Let me know if what you think either way.

With unemployment/underemployment still high, most associations have as many officials, if not too many, for the season. Our association did not allow any new officials without prior experience.

It seems "try out" camps are getting overbooked, while "instructional" camps are having a harder time filling up. To get hired you'd better be at camp, but to learn... the thought process could lead you to saving money and pushing it off a year.

This will be regional, of course. Any local trends you've seen?
Old Sat May 12, 2012, 10:25am
Do not give a damn!!

We have noticed a few more officials coming into, but unlike what appears to be your situation, we do not turn people away. And our associations are training organization not assigning ones. Also the assignors are always looking for people to work. I have never heard them turning people away because they had too many for assignments. We are true independent contractors around here. We are responsible for getting our own games or working with assignors we want to, so we would not be in the business to turn people away just because. There is always a need for reliable people and competent officials to cover games. The same few cannot do the work for everyone.

Peace
Old Sat May 12, 2012, 11:09am
Esteemed Forum Member

Class Size ...

My local IAABO (high school) board limits the number of applicants each year to thirty. The training committee can't handle a larger number of applicants. The training classes have been "full" the past few years, probably, at least partially, due to the economy.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat May 12, 2012, 08:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I just worked my 39th baseball game and I'm in the frozen tundra. If there's a surfeit of new officials, I haven't noticed.
Old Sat May 12, 2012, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Aren't your associations afraid of missing talented, hard working, future leaders? I don't see how it would be fair to make someone jump through hoops to work a game or two. While everyone might not pan out, there might be a diamond in the group. A future clinician, president, final four ref, or nba ref could be someone that is turned away.
The new officials that are allowed in, is it on a first come first serve basis or is there an interview process and/or clinic?
I hope your associations continue great numbers, but good things don't last forever (numbers). And without discussing politics, bad times come to an end eventually.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 06:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

Matthew 20:16 (For Next Year) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post
Is it on a first come first serve basis or is there an interview process and/or clinic?
First come, first served. Those that are turned away are put on a waiting list and get high priority the following year.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun May 13, 2012, 07:27am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
We have A LOT of officials here in NVA. Every yr our Association brings in new recruits and has a fairly rigorous training and evaluation process. You're categorized either JV and below, swing (JV and V), or V. The competition to move up to the V level is very intense. Not enough retirees or people departing to allow those qualified, or deemed qualified to move up (IMO).

That being said, we have A LOT of games and leagues other than scholastic, to hone your skills and network - both two and three person.

We use the "self-assign" feature in Arbiter for Rec and other leagues and can have a season's worth of Men's or CYA games filled in five minutes when they become available.

The opportunity to work is there and recruits are always welcome. But, games can be tough to come by here and I don't believe you will ever get as many games as you "want" to work.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 07:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

Varsity Official For Life ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
The competition to move up to the V level is very intense. Not enough retirees or people departing to allow those qualified, or deemed qualified to move up.
"Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down." (Jimmy Durante)

Here in my little corner of Connecticut, we don't treat varsity officials like the pope, or a Supreme Court justice. Just like ratings (peer evaluations, refresher exam, meeting attendance, availability to assigning commissioner), and rankings, can move an official "up the ladder" (subvarsity to split to varsity), the same rating, and ranking, system can move an official "down the ladder".

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun May 13, 2012 at 07:52am.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 08:00am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
"Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down." (Jimmy Durante)
I'm not being mean, just saying..... Being in a military area, we may have a greater turnover of officials than most (homes too). So, we have the normal amount of retirees, I suppose, and then a fairly healthy number of those coming in and departing. Our stable is pretty healthy.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

There are a certain number of fat and lazy people past their prime who continue to work at high levels. A lot of times it is because a tightly knit group is in control.

There are also people petrified of being displaced by new talent. It's easier to bury new talent than to out-shine new talent.

It's also that way in the world of officiating.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 12:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
There are a certain number of fat and lazy people past their prime who continue to work at high levels. A lot of times it is because a tightly knit group is in control.

There are also people petrified of being displaced by new talent. It's easier to bury new talent than to out-shine new talent.

It's also that way in the world of officiating.
Or is it that a lot of younger, newer officials think they can handle the game when they clearly can't? A lot of officials are not realistic about their talents and that is not just about older officials. There is after all a reason that the older guys stick around and it is not always because of the groups or assignors.

As a clinician there are a lot of guys that think they can work anything and cannot handle summer or off-season ball properly. And in my role as a clinician it is not in my interest to hold anyone back or to promote anyone. I am there to evaluate the talent that is in front of me and pass along who can work.

Peace