The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 08:39pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Clips/Grizz Game 6

Very unusual play near the end of the 1st qtr. A1 drives to the basket and dishes to A2. After the pass, and after A2 starts his shooting motion, B1 moves into A1's path attempting to flop for a charge. A2 continues the motion and scores. Slot official calls B1 for the block and awards A1 one free throw.

I think it was a great call. B1's contact wasn't a whole lot, but he definitely bodied A1 to try to buy the foul. Penalize the flop with a block.
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

I agree...contact was more than marginal, contrary to what Jeff Van Gundy thought. Dan Crawford was the one at the slot. Good job on the pass and crash and the continuation.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Fri May 11, 2012 at 09:20pm.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Clip of the play:

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Last edited by APG; Mon May 14, 2012 at 06:17pm. Reason: replaced previous clip as it was removed from YouTube
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 12:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

At some point we need to stop listing to JVG. His understanding of basic rules are abysmal. This is a great example of continuous motion and a foul away from the ball.

Peace
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Perfect pass/crash play example.

Perfect call....had to be made.

My only question is that, even though the C got the call right, I would think that would be the L's coverage. Of course, the NBA may do it different. Who was covering the ball/drive that was kicked out to the C's side? That is certainly a difficult position for the L to cover the ball.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 12:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Perfect pass/crash play example.

Perfect call....had to be made.

My only question is that, even though the C got the call right, I would think that would be the L's coverage. Of course, the NBA may do it different. Who was covering the ball/drive that was kicked out to the C's side? That is certainly a difficult position for the L to cover the ball.
Why would this be the L's area? The passer goes to the basket from outside the lane and the C properly follows him for a pass/crash contact. And he sees whether the motion to the basket had started as well. Now the L might give some information if he felt that the contact took place before the motion started and could have been discussed, but I think the C has an open look to the entire play. The C has the best angle on this play as they are not straight-lined or have no players in front of him to see the contact.

Peace
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Why would this be the L's area? The passer goes to the basket from outside the lane and the C properly follows him for a pass/crash contact. And he sees whether the motion to the basket had started as well. Now the L might give some information if he felt that the contact took place before the motion started and could have been discussed, but I think the C has an open look to the entire play. The C has the best angle on this play as they are not straight-lined or have no players in front of him to see the contact.

Peace
Because the C should be shifting to the drive from his area when the pass was kicked out to his primary. The lead would be left with what happened in the lane when the C had to cover the drive. I guess that, since there was no one on the shooter, he could safely stay with the passer, but if the shooter were defended, it would be hard to cover both and he has the best look at the drive.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun May 13, 2012 at 12:53pm.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 01:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Because the C should be shifting to the drive from his area when the pass was kicked out to his primary. The lead would be left with what happened in the lane when the C had to cover the drive.
If this was in the NCAA Men's philosophy, that would not necessarily be the case as an example. Plays to the basket in the lane they want the L to take these plays as much as possible. And the basket was an open look to the basket as well for the shooter. It was not hard to see this player pass the ball and that crash and pick up a shooter. I would not totally disagree with you if the shot was a three point shot, but the pass took place right outside the lane. Also it appears both L and C saw the play and had a whistle, so based on your comments someone was not focusing heavily on the shooter.

Peace
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 06:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Very unusual play near the end of the 1st qtr. A1 drives to the basket and dishes to A2. After the pass, and after A2 starts his shooting motion, B1 moves into A1's path attempting to flop for a charge. A2 continues the motion and scores. Slot official calls B1 for the block and awards A1 one free throw.

I think it was a great call. B1's contact wasn't a whole lot, but he definitely bodied A1 to try to buy the foul. Penalize the flop with a block.
Shouldn't this be a common foul? Count the shot, throw-in for A or 1-1 for A1? (I'm thinking NFHS and NCAA rules here).
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Shouldn't this be a common foul? Count the shot, throw-in for A or 1-1 for A1? (I'm thinking NFHS and NCAA rules here).
NCAA and NFHS that is how you would handle the play. Count the basket, then penalize the foul with a throw-in OOB or bonus FT's. NBA, if the basket is made, the penalized player will shoot the "and 1" free throw.

Old Mon May 14, 2012, 08:27am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
NBA, if the basket is made, the penalized player will shoot the "and 1" free throw.
We all know what you mean, but just to be clear, the "penalized" player (the one who we called the foul on) doesn't shoot the free throw.

The player who was fouled shoots the "and 1", even if it's not the player who made the basket.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 09:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
NCAA and NFHS that is how you would handle the play. Count the basket, then penalize the foul with a throw-in OOB or bonus FT's. NBA, if the basket is made, the penalized player will shoot the "and 1" free throw.
Figured there was a rule difference here (I thought I'd remembered it, actually).

Just wanted to clarify it, lest someone read this and proceed to make this call in a middle school game.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
We all know what you mean, but just to be clear, the "penalized" player (the one who we called the foul on) doesn't shoot the free throw.

The player who was fouled shoots the "and 1", even if it's not the player who made the basket.
Correct...poor wording on my part.

Interestingly enough if there was a situation where A1 was shooting and B2 pushes A2 into A1, if A1 makes the basket, A2 would shoot the "and 1" but if A1 misses the shot, A1 would shoot 2/3 free throws.