The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Use it or toss it

First of all, forgive me if this info is not of value to YOU & also if YOU dont think the info is "worth the money." My hopes are that the info will assist one of our own in improving & help get somebody picked up this summer!!

Ok, so we know what our PCAs are,

http://api.smugmug.com/services/embe...425&height=318

but since spins & pivots changes the open look in coverage areas so quickly...

we have to team officiate in todays game vs. territorial PCA officiating in the days of old. For the "let em live & die" folks out there, notice the emphasis on "ready to help."

Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 02:19pm
Official & Member

Good, albeit, basic info. Good to hear and see the concepts even though most 3rd or 4th year officials should have these ingrained in their DNA.

The toughest part for me was the camera work. Yikes. The host should have spent some money and hired a professional. This looks like he pulled a camper out of the audience and told him to film everything he saw.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Good, albeit, basic info. Good to hear and see the concepts even though most 3rd or 4th year officials should have these ingrained in their DNA.
If that is the case, please tell me why 85% of posters cringe when they hear "helping a partner" or "team officiating" or "making a call outside of their PCA for the good of the game?" Please tell me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
The toughest part for me was the camera work. Yikes. The host should have spent some money and hired a professional. This looks like he pulled a camper out of the audience and told him to film everything he saw.
That's funny, because we all know that most camps (even DI & DII camps in these parts) dont have ANY video whatsoever. I'll take pictures over some guy (who doesnt practice what he preaches & is barely watching you work) coming out on the floor at every timeout & halftime telling me I'm not doing this or that! Seeing is believing...
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 03:12pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
If that is the case, please tell me why 85% of posters cringe when they hear "helping a partner" or "team officiating" or "making a call outside of their PCA for the good of the game?" Please tell me...

IMO this is because officials use this as a license to watch the ball all over the court. The next time you are in a basketball environment (pre-game, camp, etc.) ask an official a leading question about one of these concepts and see what you get. Many officials will not have a real clue as to what they mean.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks!

I am a newer official and appreciate these videos and posts.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I am a newer official and appreciate these videos and posts.
Glad it could be used by someone!
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 03:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
It's your delivery, and phrases like "old", "outdated", etc.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 03:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
IMO this is because officials use this as a license to watch the ball all over the court. The next time you are in a basketball environment (pre-game, camp, etc.) ask an official a leading question about one of these concepts and see what you get. Many officials will not have a real clue as to what they mean.
There was just a D-1 NCAA-W camp last weekend 5 minutes from my job. I stopped by to see a couple of observors who are friends of mine and to watch a co-worker who was camping but is very inexperienced and is not ready for that level.

The couple of times I listened to my friends give feedback the most prevalent criticism was officials putting whistles on plays that the primary laid off or had a patient whistle on.

For the newbie official, she said it was a great learning experience and #1 she really needs to learn what everyone's primary is. And the only negative reaction she got from fellow officials was when she made calls outside of her primary.

IMO, "helping a partner"/"team officiating"/"making a call outside of their PCA for the good of the game" are things that can't be done effectively and with acceptance from veteran officials until one has truly mastered the respective PCAs and shown that they can handle their 1/3 with no worries.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 08:55pm.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It's your delivery, and phrases like "old", "outdated", etc.
1. I've always been a straight forward, tell it like it is type of guy... I aint changing now, especially for a group of people on the internet that I'll probably never even meet face to face. You'd think a group of individuals that wear stripes would be able to handle it!

2. When I initially began sharing these things (that some claim they already knew ) I didnt go to the old school card or do any name dropping until folks began acting as if I was crazy for mentioning these NBA philosophies.

3. If I didnt like the delivery of a person but the stuff they were delivering was substantial, I'm not going to object to it just because the delivery wasnt nice & sweet.
There's nothing nice & sweet about what we do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
IMO, "helping a partner"/"team officiating"/"making a call outside of their PCA for the good of the game" are things that can't be done effectively and with acceptance from veteran officials until one has truly mastered the respective PCAs and shown that they can handle their 1/3 with no worries.
No doubt BNR, first things first. Probably why the Professor started the 3 part video with defining PCAs & then took us to the graduates course.

Problem with some veterans is that they want you to ref your 3rd & your 3rd only even when they missed something obvious. Back in his prime, I guess it used to mean you were showing him up. In todays game, you say thanks & buy the man a beer!

Last edited by tref; Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 03:43pm.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 04:34pm
beware big brother

tref, for the most part I agree with you that todays game requires team officiating and sometimes coming out of your primary to get a call. I think the problem you face is that it seems like you think this is something that should happen often, whereas even those who agree with you on the philosophy think the practice of this principle occurs less frequently. If I am not mistaken, the last time you tried to invoke this principle, you came in from a pretty substantial distance and overturned a partners call. While you argued that you had a better angle than your partner, which is probably true, I think most people felt having a better angle in that case did not necessarily mean you had a better view. I think the more important part of the tape was when he talked about the referees constantly adjusting their position and moving their feet. In the example used, if the lead gets his *** over to the strong side, he would have a good view of the play on the pivot or spin and wouldnt need the center to come in and make a call.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 05:34pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
There was just a D-1 NCAA-W camp last weekend 5 minutes from my job. I stopped by to see a couple of observors who are friends of mine and to watch a co-worker who was camping but is very inexperienced and is not ready for that level.

The couple of times I listened my friends give feedback the most prevalent criticism was officials putting whistles on plays that the primary laid off or had a patient whistle on.

For the newbie official, she said it was a great learning experience and #1 she really needs to learn what everyone's primary is. And the only negative reaction she got from fellow officials was when she made calls outside of her primary.

You want me to take up an offering?
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 05:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I do not agree with that statement at all. Maybe there are people who do not know what that means or what they mean when using them.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 05:38pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
1. I've always been a straight forward, tell it like it is type of guy... I aint changing now, especially for a group of people on the internet that I'll probably never even meet face to face. You'd think a group of individuals that wear stripes would be able to handle it!

2. When I initially began sharing these things (that some claim they already knew ) I didnt go to the old school card or do any name dropping until folks began acting as if I was crazy for mentioning these NBA philosophies.

3. If I didnt like the delivery of a person but the stuff they were delivering was substantial, I'm not going to object to it just because the delivery wasnt nice & sweet.

No doubt BNR, first things first. Probably why the Professor started the 3 part video with defining PCAs & then took us to the graduates course.

Problem with some veterans is that they want you to ref your 3rd & your 3rd only even when they missed something obvious. Back in his prime, I guess it used to mean you were showing him up. In todays game, you say thanks & buy the man a beer!
I agree and disagree with you. Your first part is spot on IMO. The message should always be the most important thing...not the delivery.

So, who decides when someone has mastered their 1/3rd of the court? I haven't mastered mine yet so my partners are going to live and die with anything smaller than an elephant in their primary. If it is an elephant, I will help. IMO, THAT is the key. Too many people are so eager to call all over the court that they miss two players killing each other right in front of them.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The couple of times I listened my friends give feedback the most prevalent criticism was officials putting whistles on plays that the primary laid off or had a patient whistle on.

I think this is one of the best topics going on in today's game....BNR - you make some great points about what you saw last wknd at Boo (MEAC Women's Camp ??) . I personally think I see too much "team officiating" on
misdemeanors and not felonies) and that is where supervisors start to scratch their head as to why he is blowing his whistle.. I love team officiating
when it involves maybe the C helping on a 10 sec count with a lot of back court pressure, but I can tell you if you take that concept north of the Mason Dixon you will have a tough time getting in leagues......

There is such a fine line as to when to extend and not to extend.....hopefully one day I will master this concept
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 06:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

I should have added that I think you've missed what the objections really are. Very few are objecting to the idea of helping partners. The objections come because most of the time we hear these comments, it comes from newer partners who think that incidental contact I passed on, with clear view, needed a whistle. Maybe it's a conditioned response, but there's a reason for it.

Also, teaching these techniques to newer officials is counterproductive for reasons BNR stated; and since this forum is made of a mixture of rookies, ancients, and everything in between, some of the vets take care to make sure your advanced advice is not taken incorrectly by rookies.

Your "old school" cliches were dropped at the first sign of rejection, it seems. You make a comment, and someone objects, and your first response is to suggest the game has passed them by. Telling it as you see it is one thing, but that doesn't mean it's how it is.