The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Summer Camps

What do you think of camps that have you referee an AAU tournament? I do not like it at all. I think the organizers are making money off campers backs two ways and the second way really annoys me. First they get the campers money for attending and this I agree with but when the camp is during an AAU tournament, someone else gets the campers game fee and I think that is pretty low.

I have been to 2 two summer camps in the past and both coincided with real basketball summer camps and I felt like this was a very good situation. My last camp was IAABO camp 2 years ago at Bryant College but now that the coach has left Bryant, the RI IAABO camp seems to have changed into reffing an AAU tourney and now I am hesitant to go. Note that when I went 2 summers ago the camp was great and I learned a lot.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 01:11pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Just my opinion, but if you think the training, feedback and/or opportunity is worth the money you're paying, then you should go and not worry about who else is making money from the tournament.

For better or worse, this is how things are done now. Camps are useful for training, but are also huge for-profit businesses.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Even with the non-AAU connected camps, the teams/players are paying someone to be there. It really isn't any different. The only thing that changes is who is making the money.

Organizing the whole thing is a lot of work and you really can't expect people to put it on for free (as some others on here have implied in other threads). They have a to pay a lot of people to make it all work. The fact that they collect money from all participants doesn't change that.

For a camp that I evaluate at, the team side is run by a local coach for HS varsity teams. They pay for officials for all the games but are given a small discount since the officials they get from the camp are often not as experienced as what they normally see. The officials also pay a small amount.

Where does the money go? Expenses......evaluators, organizers, after-game socials, camp shirt, video expenses, etc. It adds up fast. I know the guys that run it don't make much but they'd lose money if they didn't take the money from both the teams and the campers.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Apr 23, 2012 at 03:53pm.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 01:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

The kind of tournament should not ever bother you IMO. AAU is only a problem if the evaluators do not back you or understands the environment. I have been on the side as a clinician on staff at a camp with an AAU Tournament and as a camper in the same situation.

As a clinician the evaluators took the most crap because the coaches and fans realize you are "in charge" and start to complain to us instead of the officials on the games. And they complain directly to us about situations. As a clinician we can also shield the campers from direct confrontations. And that is not unique to AAU Tournaments/Camps that happens when the HS variety takes place as well.

As a camper at an AAU/Camp the coaches are still the same, but it has been an opportunity to show your GM skill and show how you can handle coaches and give Ts appropriately.

AAU is usually a problem because the TDs and the assignor do not back and often have a total conflict of interest in their roles. In a camp setting there are teaching moments and situations that can be dealt with. Also AAU Tournaments are best run as camps when the person running the camp has some "juice." In the case where I was a clinician the camp director was a former NBA Official and current NBA evaluator. He can put most TDs in their place or put the situation in perspective. The camp I attended was run for a college conference and the camp director is a current D1 assignor. Also the camp I attended likely had better officials working those games then they would see at any other time. Also that camp ended before the tournament ended so they went from 3 Person to 2 Person (local guys only) to work the most of the final games. I am sure they saw or experienced some drop off and any complaining probably was not well received by the teams if that was the case.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 02:12pm
beware big brother

If you dont like paying for the camp and then having the evaluator or clinician taking the game fee too, then dont go to camp and watch as you remain stuck at the same level or your schedule goes down. The situation you describe is how most camps are run nowadays, so either deal with it or stop officiating.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
If you dont like paying for the camp and then having the evaluator or clinician taking the game fee too, then dont go to camp and watch as you remain stuck at the same level or your schedule goes down. The situation you describe is how most camps are run nowadays, so either deal with it or stop officiating.
OR, start your own camp to see how much money you will keep after paying out the staff & guest speakers...
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 04:08pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Who cares? I've been to several camps over the past few summers, and I am going to several more this summer. Not once have I thought about how much the teams are paying to be in those tournaments... that's not why I'm there. I'm there to get better, meet people and (hopefully) get hired! If a camp is expensive, you have to weigh your pros and cons as to whether or not you think it is worth going... not how much everyone is making off of the camp. There's a reason why camps cost what they do.

Like it was said earlier, if you don't like it, don't go. I however will be going because I want to get better!
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
I have been to 2 two summer camps in the past and both coincided with real basketball summer camps and I felt like this was a very good situation.
You don't think those teams paid to attend the camp, just like the AAU teams are paying to play in the tournament? Apples and apples.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith