The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

just wondering what camps everyone went to this summer and were they worth it??? looking for some good ones to go to for next year and would like to hear where everyone else goes and how it went????? i know a lot of camps are just giving money, but which ones do you really get some quality instruction to go along with that money??? I call at the NAIA level in ky,tn,ohio,and va and was hoping to try and move up to the next level!
Old Tue Sep 20, 2005, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

The camps to go to or not will be a well beaten horse come May around here....

But what I got out of this year's camp...what was drilled in...

Find a reason to rotate - two officials ball side if at all possible.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
just wondering what camps everyone went to this summer and were they worth it??? looking for some good ones to go to for next year and would like to hear where everyone else goes and how it went????? i know a lot of camps are just giving money, but which ones do you really get some quality instruction to go along with that money??? I call at the NAIA level in ky,tn,ohio,and va and was hoping to try and move up to the next level!
Two good camps in VA, D3-Supercamp and Tolivers.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

The big thing I heard for the first time this year is that I sometimes scowl when I make a call. I guess I look a little angry or something. I'm hoping I fixed that problem. The other thing I got out of camp was an invite to work a JUCO jamboree as a bit of an audition for moving up the ladder. It's in a couple of weeks and I'm excited. I have to start looking at the college rules differences next week.

Oh yeah, the other thing I learned is that it sucks running 4 games in full uniform (running tights and all) in the middle of one of the hottest summers we've had around here.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I went to two very fine 3-whistle camps in the eastern part of the country this summer. Two basketball things that I knew but were reinforced: 1) Patient whistle. See the whole play before blowing the whistle; 2) Center must work his/her butt off for 40 minutes.

The biggest non-basketball thing that I've gotten out of camps over the last two years: If you want to be a good official, be a good person first. Be a person that other people want to be around. Be a person that builds up fellow officials, instead of complaining about their schedules. Be a good person first and then you can work on getting your break. But if you're trying to move up and you're an a-hole, nobody will want to hire you. Great message, I think.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck's right. Don't complain about anything; at least not anything basketball related. Don't complain about coaches, fans, even co-officials (except in a formal reporting capacity when necessary). Complain about the traffic or weather privately, but not in front of anyone you don't know well.

The best officials I've ever met (basketball and football) are all, aside from skill level, positive, disciplined, and professional. No exceptions. Dress and behave like a professional at all times and your career will take off. Don't take plays off; don't take games off; and don't think of one game as any less than another. The 7th grade girls game tonight is more important to everyone there than the varsity or even D-1 game Saturday.
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

jritchie:

I attended the launching pad camp for the SEC development program and it is unbelieveable. If you respect and like the NBA philosophy somewhat and you want to learn how to referee basketball, then this is a great place, but most on here don't like the NBA so it might not be your cup of tea. There are about 11 NBA refs there to teach you. They eat with you and will talk to you about anything. The one problem is that it is an invitation only camp. You said you reffed in or near the TN area so that means that there are guys who are close to SEC guys or are Sun Belt conference guys. Just try to find one of them and ask them about getting an invite.

Secondly, I went to Bob Delaney's camp in Bradenton, FL. It was awesome. This camp is even more NBA than SEC camp. You use NBA rotation, NBA rules, and best of all you ref NBA players. This year I got to officiate Chauncey Billups, Al Harrington, Jarred Jeffries, Chuckey Atkins, Tyrone Lue, Sebastian Telfair, and Tayshaun Prince just to name a few. You wanna talk about some fun, but being nervous as hell the first time you touch the floor. I was a wreck. They take care of you good at this place as well. It is a great opportunity, so if you get a chance to go, you need to.
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I went to two very fine 3-whistle camps in the eastern part of the country this summer. Two basketball things that I knew but were reinforced: 1) Patient whistle. See the whole play before blowing the whistle; 2) Center must work his/her butt off for 40 minutes.

The biggest non-basketball thing that I've gotten out of camps over the last two years: If you want to be a good official, be a good person first. Be a person that other people want to be around. Be a person that builds up fellow officials, instead of complaining about their schedules. Be a good person first and then you can work on getting your break. But if you're trying to move up and you're an a-hole, nobody will want to hire you. Great message, I think.
Amen to all that Chuck. The basketball part and the personal part is just right on.

Z
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Patient whistle. See the whole play before blowing the whistle;
And the announcer says, "Now that was a late call!"

Another aspect not understood by the general public.
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Quote:
Patient whistle. See the whole play before blowing the whistle;
And the announcer says, "Now that was a late call!"

Another aspect not understood by the general public.
Yup!
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 11:19am
Do not give a damn!!

The main thing I learned (and I already knew) was you never know who is watching you. There is always someone observing your actions and making judgments of your actions.

I attended a D1 assignor's camp this summer in Ohio and he told us of a story where he was coaching his grandson's team. There was an official at this game that did not hustle and did not have the greatest attitude. This official even had an exchange with this D1 assignor that was not seen in the best light by the assignor. Now this game was a JH game that might not seem to be that big of a deal. Good or bad this official made an impression.

I am not so sure that that being a "good person" is a prerequisite for being a good official. I know many good officials that I would not consider good people. I know many good officials that are not at all good at officiating. I understand where Chuck was going with that, I just think that is an oversimplification of what officiating is about in my opinion. What people thinks makes a "good person" can vary with each opinion on this subject. Also some people are better teachers than others and feel more comfortable giving back while others are like a fish out of water. That does not just deal with officiating, that deals with many aspects of life. Once again, that is just my take on what Chuck said.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
jritchie:

I attended the launching pad camp for the SEC development program and it is unbelieveable. If you respect and like the NBA philosophy somewhat and you want to learn how to referee basketball, then this is a great place, but most on here don't like the NBA so it might not be your cup of tea. There are about 11 NBA refs there to teach you. They eat with you and will talk to you about anything. The one problem is that it is an invitation only camp. You said you reffed in or near the TN area so that means that there are guys who are close to SEC guys or are Sun Belt conference guys. Just try to find one of them and ask them about getting an invite.

Secondly, I went to Bob Delaney's camp in Bradenton, FL. It was awesome. This camp is even more NBA than SEC camp. You use NBA rotation, NBA rules, and best of all you ref NBA players. This year I got to officiate Chauncey Billups, Al Harrington, Jarred Jeffries, Chuckey Atkins, Tyrone Lue, Sebastian Telfair, and Tayshaun Prince just to name a few. You wanna talk about some fun, but being nervous as hell the first time you touch the floor. I was a wreck. They take care of you good at this place as well. It is a great opportunity, so if you get a chance to go, you need to.
IIRC Delany's camp is very expensive. I would definitely like to go though.
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
jritchie:

IIRC Delany's camp is very expensive. I would definitely like to go though.
It is pretty expensive but with all the benefits that it come with and the one on one training that you get with Bob is worth it.