The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Celtics play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90523-celtics-play.html)

Adam Tue Apr 10, 2012 06:59pm

Celtics play

APG, can you get the block charge from today's game at 6:58 in the 2nd?

Mark Padgett Tue Apr 10, 2012 07:54pm

Then please see if you can get Labron's drive to the basket with 5:18 left in the 3rd. It looked to me like he traveled (even under NBE rules) twice, once at the beginning of the drive and then again after he gathered the ball. The Celtics were complaining, too. Thanks.

APG Wed Apr 11, 2012 03:35am

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sorD9K48Vj0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8GhIwqDdU18" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JugglingReferee Wed Apr 11, 2012 06:49am

Eeek.

I've got a PC and two travels, even by NBE standards.

ref3808 Wed Apr 11, 2012 07:08am

I see a PC and an easy travel call that my rec league middle school "officials" would spot 99% of the time.

There were some other questionable calls as well, I think in the 4th quarter Pierce took a what should have been a charge from Lebron that went as a no call. I can't recall the others.

JeroenB Wed Apr 11, 2012 07:32am

That travel is just horrible, even by NBA standards...

Scrapper1 Wed Apr 11, 2012 07:38am

PC, but I'm not 100% sure on the travel at the end of Lebron's drive. Remember that the NBA changed their traveling rule to allow 2 steps after establishing a pivot foot. That means (I think) that you can establish a pivot foot, step with the other foot (thus lifting the pivot) and then step again (placing the pivot back on the floor) and this is legal.

And I think that's what Lebron did at the end of that drive. It's hard to see exactly when he gathers the ball, but I think he only steps twice after gathering.

tref Wed Apr 11, 2012 08:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref3808 (Post 836822)
I see a PC and an easy travel call that my rec league middle school "officials" would spot 99% of the time.

Lets complete that thought...
Wreck league middle school officials also spot travels that didnt occur.

That being said, looks like a tough ICC on the first play. How many times do we see defenders taking block/charge plays in the b/c??

And I dont see a travel off the pass, but after the gather he does take 3.

The day ANY of us has a perfect game we should retire. Leave on a "high note" like George Costanza.

JugglingReferee Wed Apr 11, 2012 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 836828)
PC, but I'm not 100% sure on the travel at the end of Lebron's drive. Remember that the NBA changed their traveling rule to allow 2 steps after establishing a pivot foot. That means (I think) that you can establish a pivot foot, step with the other foot (thus lifting the pivot) and then step again (placing the pivot back on the floor) and this is legal.

And I think that's what Lebron did at the end of that drive. It's hard to see exactly when he gathers the ball, but I think he only steps twice after gathering.

Since the right foot was last to touch, and therefore would be the step to possibly rule as a travel, the question becomes is the left on the ground when he gathered the ball.

I think it is. In fact, I think he has two hands on the ball when the left is still touching the floor.

JugglingReferee Wed Apr 11, 2012 09:02am

The only was that there is no travel at the beginning of LeBron's possession, is if the NBE dribble step allotment is identical to the shot allotment.

JRutledge Wed Apr 11, 2012 09:44am

Wasn't he fouled? If he is fouled before he travels and it looks like that based on that would be the only contact that would negate any travel. They did not show the angle from the official's point of view so I am wondering how much of a foul it was, but it appears a foul was called in real time on the right arm while LeBron is in the act of shooting. It may have actually been a travel first, but it appears the call was about a foul as a result. What would have been a better question is should the basket could on a foul where the player "travels" after being fouled?

Peace

truerookie Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 836846)
Wasn't he fouled? If he is fouled before he travels and it looks like that based on that would be the only contact that would negate any travel. They did not show the angle from the official's point of view so I am wondering how much of a foul it was, but it appears a foul was called in real time on the right arm while LeBron is in the act of shooting. It may have actually been a travel first, but it appears the call was about a foul as a result. What would have been a better question is should the basket could on a foul where the player "travels" after being fouled?

Peace

Yes, travel did not occur until after the hit on the arm. I tend to believe that if you did/do not call the travel why negate the foul called. Thus, count the basket.

Raymond Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 836849)
Yes, travel did not occur until after the hit on the arm. I tend to believe that if you did/do not call the travel why negate the foul called. Thus, count the basket.

If a player in the act of shooting gets fouled and then travels before releasing the shot then you should wipe the basket and award 2 free-throws.

letemplay Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:12am

I'll agree with most on the travel, but disagree with most on the PC.

truerookie Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 836851)
If a player in the act of shooting gets fouled and then travels before releasing the shot then you should wipe the basket and award 2 free-throws.

BNR,

I understand that. I knew you would come along to make sure I knew it..:D