The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 11, 2012, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

I really don't mind the 6 bucks, but it would be nice if updates were included. I pay for the rule and case books every other year.
I think I am going to try this app , but after the rule changes in the fall.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2012, 11:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
$6 and you get the rules book, case book, and all the cross-referencing. Most e-books bought from Amazon or Apple are more than 99 cents.
This is for convenience and convenience only for the user honestly and another way for the NF to make some money off of their product like other books they sell. And you can pay a lot more money for other e-books like you stated which can be a much bigger cost than two books that normally cost about $6 or $7 on by themselves if you order the books in paper form.

So if someone likes the PDF version I am sure that is fine for those users. To me this is like any technology you buy or use, it is up to the people buying it to say if it is worth it. There are a lot of other things that cost much more than $6 that are not worth the paper it cost to use.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 11, 2012, 12:12pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That's just not true. I have them all from the past several years including the most recent versions. Several forum members have them.
What is true is that I no longer have access to the PDFs and that the amount of people with access to them seems to be declining.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2012, 05:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Just Love Climbing That Volleyball Ladder ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
What is true is that I no longer have access to the PDFs and that the amount of people with access to them seems to be declining.
I only have mine through the kindness of a stranger. I don't know what I'll do next year.

I belong to the NFHS. I paid my $17.00 back in August, 2011. The problem is, the NFHS thinks I'm a volleyball official, and Arbiter knows that I'm a basketball official. Connecticut is a 100% IAABO state for basketball. IAABO officials don't usually belong to the NFHS. In regard to joining the NFHS, Connecticut is an "all or nothing state". Individuals can't join the NFHS. Stupid IAABO. Stupid NFHS. Stupid Arbiter. Stupid monkeys.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 12:49am
Do not give a damn!!

I am afraid to ask.....but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I only have mine through the kindness of a stranger. I don't know what I'll do next year.

I belong to the NFHS. I paid my $17.00 back in August, 2011. The problem is, the NFHS thinks I'm a volleyball official, and Arbiter knows that I'm a basketball official. Connecticut is a 100% IAABO state for basketball. IAABO officials don't usually belong to the NFHS. In regard to joining the NFHS, Connecticut is an "all or nothing state". Individuals can't join the NFHS. Stupid IAABO. Stupid NFHS. Stupid Arbiter. Stupid monkeys.
Why could you not join the NF? What they tell you now what products you can buy?

Peace
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 06:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

Rock And A Hard Place ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Why could you not join the NF?
I am not allowed to join as a basketball official. Connecticut is an "all or nothing state". Since Connecticut is a 100% IAABO state, basketball officials here have no desire to join the NFHS (we get books, insurance, educational materials, etc. through IAABO). Individual basketball officials cannot join due to the "all or nothing" rule. I used to get access to NFHS materials (PDF's) by paying my $17.00 and registering (I know a guy) with the CIAC (our state's interscholastic sports governing body) as a volleyball official (which I'm not). That was before the NFHS and Arbiter got together. Since I'm not listed on Arbiter volleyball (because I'm not a "real" volleyball official), the NFHS no longer views me as a volleyball official. I am listed on Arbiter basketball, but the NFHS does not view any basketball officials in Connecticut as NFHS members.

Stupid IAABO. Stupid NFHS. Stupid Arbiter. Stupid monkeys.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Apr 12, 2012 at 06:21am.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 07:45am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
Of course now every overbearing parent is going to have a copy of the rules on their i-phone during the HS season. We'll be pretending not to hear "Hey Ref, that's not how I read 41.2."
I'd love for this to happen.

Comments like this fall under our Fair Play Policy and are an immediate ejection.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 08:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I am not allowed to join as a basketball official. Connecticut is an "all or nothing state". Since Connecticut is a 100% IAABO state, basketball officials here have no desire to join the NFHS (we get books, insurance, educational materials, etc. through IAABO). Individual basketball officials cannot join due to the "all or nothing" rule. I used to get access to NFHS materials (PDF's) by paying my $17.00 and registering (I know a guy) with the CIAC (our state's interscholastic sports governing body) as a volleyball official (which I'm not). That was before the NFHS and Arbiter got together. Since I'm not listed on Arbiter volleyball (because I'm not a "real" volleyball official), the NFHS no longer views me as a volleyball official. I am listed on Arbiter basketball, but the NFHS does not view any basketball officials in Connecticut as NFHS members.

Stupid IAABO. Stupid NFHS. Stupid Arbiter. Stupid monkeys.
Can you elaborate on the "all or nothing" rule? What does that rule state? My initial reaction, if I'm understanding the meaning correctly, is that has to be some sort of illegal rule. How can an organization hold independent contractors to such a stringent requirement? Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems to smack more of an employer-employee relationship.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Just bought rules app..................deluxe!!

The ease of referencing rules and case plays makes it worth it, not to mention app suggests similar rules, caseplay sitches. It's awesome.

May flash to coach as I'm blasting by him when he questions a ruling.

It really is terrific.

Great throne reading!
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 05:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Banned In Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
Can you elaborate on the "all or nothing" rule? What does that rule state?.
When I go onto the NFHS website to try to join, as soon as the NFHS discovers that I'm from Connecticut, and that I'm a basketball official, they will not allow me to join. I don't know if this was unilaterally decided by the NFHS, or if they got together with the CIAC (our interscholastic sports governing body).

The only officials in Connecticut who are allowed to join the NFHS are those who belong to an organization where all the members in that particular organization join the NFHS together, all of them, together, getting their books, insurance, educational materials. etc. from the NFHS., for example, all the volleyball officials in Connecticut.

Connecticut is 100% IAABO for basketball. IAABO members get books (NFHS rulebook, and casebook, IAABO mechanics manual), insurance, educational materials. etc. through IAABO, and, thus, have no need to join the NFHS.

Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 05:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
Can you elaborate on the "all or nothing" rule? What does that rule state?
From the NFHS websaite:

Officials Area

The NFHS has partnered with ArbiterSports to provide members of the NFHS Officials Association with exclusive online benefits.

IMPORTANT NOTE: You must be a member of the NFHS Officials Association to access ALL the content on the NFHS Central Hub. Officials become members of the NFHS Officials Association through one of three avenues:

1. Through 100% participation by the state association. States participating include: AK, AZ, AR, CO, CT, DC, DE, IN, IA, KS, KY, MD, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, ND, OH, OK, OR, SC, SD, TX, UT, VA, WV, WY

2. Through 100% participation by the local association (Tier 2 & Special Groups; only permitted in the states NOT mentioned above).

3. Through individual participation (only permitted in the states NOT mentioned above – click here to join.)

Click on the following link to experience the NFHS Central Hub powered by ArbiterSports – an exclusive online benefit for NFHS Officials Association members.

Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 05:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Billy,

I am still confused. If you pay for a service and you are not getting the service you pay for, why would that be allowed to not classify you properly? Could not pay for an account that has nothing to do with your normal Arbiter? It just sounds strange.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Fullor
I hate to ask, but...
Did the download mention anything about support or updates.
I do not want to buy last year rule books cuz I have them already.
So I guess I will just wait.
Thanks for the responses to this post
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That's just not true. I have them all from the past several years including the most recent versions. Several forum members have them.
Yes, it is true. They won't have them next year, as the NFHS will not produce them in PDF form next year. They will only produce the app and
an expandable web version like the ones members can access this year, which is similiar to the app.

The reason they won't have them in PDF is exactly what you stated above: members giving them to non-members.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcrash3 View Post
Hey Fullor
I hate to ask, but...
Did the download mention anything about support or updates.
I do not want to buy last year rule books cuz I have them already.
So I guess I will just wait.
Thanks for the responses to this post
Not sure, I dont care the whole point to me as rut said is the convenience and ease of use. It's the best